Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an exemption from religion classes and ceremonies in 6th year by myself?

• 13-08-2013 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭

Ok so I'm going into 6th year in September. I'm an atheist of nearly 18 years of age and I'm an independently minded, mature person. I find the religion classes about the history of Christianity and parables so boring. I aslo hate the ceremonies such as the beginning of year mass.

I'm aware that some schools excuse people from religion, is this on a school by school basis or must it be aproved by the department?

My parents dislike the fact that I'm an atheist and don't want me to be exempt. So I can't get any help there. But surely if I have my set of religious beliefs I should be able to make this kind of decision.

What can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

A few in my school just went to the principal and explained their point of view. Just go to the principal and explain you don't wanna do the religion classes and explain your reason, you may have to bring in a parent or something but just ask for a study class instead or something.
    And if all else fails, just don't go to the class it's usually just once a week and in 6th year there's people out everyday and nobody notices usually - that's what I did for half the year :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

We all had to go through it, even though half of us found it annoying, irrelevant or boring.All we did in 6th year was watch random dvds. Suck it up, its only for 9 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

I just didn't attend, and went to the leaving cert room to do homework or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Nearly 18, parents don't want you to be exempt. Sorry OP, they're the bosses until you reach that magic number. The school will have to listen to their wishes, not yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

I know of some schools in my own area who are very accommodating with regards to diversity. However, there are some issues here.

If the school has a strong ethos they may not be willing to accommodate you. In their eyes, if you are a student in their school, then you subscribe to their thinking. How strongly they abide by the ethos depends on the individual school.

Furthermore, "nearly 18" is not 18. Legally, you are still your parents responsibility and their agreement would almost certainly be needed to excuse you from any class, including religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'm about 20 years ahead of you OP. I just skipped all the ceremonies and stuff. For the classes, I used to just read whatever novel I was in the middle of at the time. Skipping wasnt an option, as there was nowhere available in the building to go. Eventually, there was a bunch of five of us doing the same thing. At one point the teacher handed us a two page punishment essay to write. We didnt, so it was doubled. Didn't do it again, and again.... I think you see where this is going. :) The end result was that the VP took us aside and asked us, even if we weren't participating, not to annoy the teacher. He had the staff room driven mad at the time. Detente was reached. We let him on with his 'subject'. He let us on with our reading.

You're very nearly a legal adult. Non participation in a made up subject with no exam consequences is your choice. If you're not allowed withdraw, I'd read a book. Or participate fully and completely as a follower of the Norse gods. Get into a debate around comparative theology. Your English or history teachers would be delighted by that level of interested participation and debate. I'm sure your religion teacher would too.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭NaNaNa1

I had similar problems and was told that to be exempt, I'd have to have a written letter from my parents. I did exam religion which I think takes a look at religion in a broader sense (well at least that's how our teacher taught. Of the 6 in our class, only one was a practicing Catholic) but was forced to sit in what I'd describe "Catholic religious education" as there was no-one to supervise us. By the end of 6th year we allowed to stay in the library to study instead of going to Religion. We where however forced to go to church and I was told by a teacher that I should have to go and "pray for divine intervention" for my exams despite my beliefs or lack of per say. At the end of the day religion shouldn't be forced at you but alas Catholic Ireland, as modern as we think we are hasn't really a place for secular education. Perhaps write your principal a letter or go and state you case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It depends on the school. As you know the vast majority of schools in Ireland are under religious patronage of one flavour or another. Their schools, their rules I'm afraid.

Of course they can't force you to participate, but they can't have you wandering the corridors or leaving the building either. For under 18s (and possibly others) this becomes a major insurance problem.

A sensible chat with the Principal should get you OK-ed to sit and read a book or something at the back of the class, which is easier than making a song and dance out of it.

Hopefully by the time you are all parents and sending kids to second level school, there will be no religious owned places anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

There are insurance issues to bear in mind regarding supervision, and schools are not in a position to pay for a teacher to sit in a class with non participating students, so you may not study or engage in the class but you might not have a choice about what room to be in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dutchraptor

Wow, I just went up the religion teacher and told her I wasn't going to do religion for the next 5 years. I've never heard of it being mandatory. I'd recommend dropping it anyways, the stuff you learn is garbage compared to what you can figure out yourself, way better to spend the time working on Maths or English.

• Advertisement
Advertisement