Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaming in France on vodafone red package

Options
  • 13-08-2013 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi there
    Not sure if this it the right place so pls move if not. I'm going to France in a few weeks for 2 weeks. I have just signed up to the voda red deal with 1gb free data and some other add ons.
    I'm not very tech savvy so I want to make sure I don't get caught for anything more than necessary. My bill is 29e a month and I want to keep it as near to that as I can.
    So, do I need to turn off any settings? Will it cost me to go online etc if I'm not using wifi does anyone know? I would like to use to phone to look up local restaurants, walks etc.
    Does anyone have any tips or should I just go into a vodafone shop and ask them?
    Thanks in advance.
    Ruth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭cjc0101

So, do I need to turn off any settings? Will it cost me to go online etc if I'm not using wifi does anyone know? I would like to use to phone to look up local restaurants, walks etc.
    Does anyone have any tips or should I just go into a vodafone shop and ask them?
    Thanks in advance.
    Ruth[/quote]

hi Ruth, standard data rates in EU are around 56c per MB (not sure of exact price so Google EU roaming regulation 2013) which works out very expensive considering there are 1024MB is 1GB roughly, and just checking emails/Facebook etc would probably use 200MB in a week of very light usage.
    I would stick to WiFi in areas you trust, hotels/mac D's/airport, and in WiFi turn on wps security/encryption. just to be safe, as you don't want to send private data over WiFi in the clear.
    now I am not a Vodafone customer but depending on the country, Vodafone has a data deal, 2.99 or 3.99 per day on top of normal plan data charges in Ireland, but not sure check it out.
    I was in Spain last week and a friend was giving out because they signed up thinking is was just for a day however vodafone took the money every day of the holiday, leaving no credit to call or text. luckily enough it was on pay ad you go, and *174# would not work or calling for their balance, they kept getting messages in Spanish when they tried.
    The question you need to ask yourself is, how badly do you need data?
    get a pre paid SIM for peace of mind if really need data, is what I say. I tthink Vodafone and Meteor are only networks with data roaming deal, check out Vodafone's deal, Meteor does a data deal which only lasts a day, so if you don't use Data the next day no charges, only problem is it is a tiny 10MB a day for 99c, and standard EU roaming rates at 56c per 1MB there after.
    I didn't use data at all while roaming, used google to find WiFi spots before going, and checked WiFi near hotels etc, and found open WiFi outside a hotel complex, near where I was staying. do happy days.
    main thing, double check the costs before hitting data-on toggle and turn off background Data so apps don't use data without you knowing.
    ps happy hols

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you're going to be in a medium or large town with lots of cafes and bars with free wi-fi, you can just disable 'mobile data' on your phone and it will not do any data over the local phone network so you'll only pay for voice and outgoing text. Then switch on wi-fi when you're in a cafe and connect to their network.

I wouldn't go into a Vodafone shop to ask, all they will do is sell you some add-on, they are incentivised on sales, not giving free advice to people to help them save money.

Check on www.vodafone.ie Hover the mouse pointer over 'Support' and click on 'Going abroad' in the dropdown menu.

If you can't find the answers there, post a question on the boards Talk to:vodafone forum...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1270

Advertisement