Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All new Phantom mid Sept. '13???

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

Telling that you didn't reply to the considered, thoughtful views of Colm Keegan above. Sad too.

To say what, 'cheers for ****tting on my workplace and colleagues'?

If you don't listen anymore, fair enough, move on with your life. We'd be happy to have you back at any time, but a hypothetical for you 'Windowcleaner'..... A person stopped listening to Arcade Fire after their first album, yet continues to whine on their message board 2-3 albums later - why?

All too easily in these 'get rid of XY&Z' conversations that happen here, people forget that it folks' modestly-paying jobs they're tossing about. Bills to be paid, kids to feed etc. Radio isn't all €600k a year and a Montrose pension.

Could figures be better? Yes, of course. But constant sniping about something you freely admit you no longer have an interest in is slightly weird. And no amount of allusions to your 'friends on the inside' alter that weirdness.

If you wish to discuss this any further - my email is richiemccormack@phantom.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

RichieMc wrote: »
    If you don't listen anymore, fair enough, move on with your life. We'd be happy to have you back at any time, but a hypothetical for you 'Windowcleaner'..... A person stopped listening to Arcade Fire after their first album, yet continues to whine on their message board 2-3 albums later - why?

I guess the issue is that many of the posters here feel loyal to Phantom after years of listening and they are annoyed how, in their opinion, it's gone downhill.
    It's almost like following a football team. You love when they get the results and all is rosey. But when things start going wrong, you question the players and management - you don't just change clubs (although I'm sure many do these days).
    If anything, that shows the passion of the listener.

However, you made a good point. It's peoples jobs and livelihoods at the end of the day. And, just like football, it's all business. It's about money, shareholders, market share and the real results that matter. Fans still find that hard to grasp sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Any more details on the new show Richie?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

To say what, 'cheers for ****tting on my workplace and colleagues'?

All too easily in these 'get rid of XY&Z' conversations that happen here, people forget that it folks' modestly-paying jobs they're tossing about. Bills to be paid, kids to feed etc. Radio isn't all €600k a year and a Montrose pension.

Could figures be better? Yes, of course. But constant sniping about something you freely admit you no longer have an interest in is slightly weird. And no amount of allusions to your 'friends on the inside' alter that weirdness.

If you wish to discuss this any further - my email is richiemccormack@phantom.ie.

Wow - and people wonder why listeners have tuned out of Phantom? That's your childish reaction to criticism? Surprisingly thin skin, Richie.

And surprising that you're the one batting for the station. I know you have to eat and pay bills but why aren't the station's bosses like Ricky Geraghty or Keith Walsh or John Caddell responding to the criticisms from once-faithful listeners? Or is "thrashing message board malcontents" now part of your job description?

PS Arcade Fire's third album is better than their first

Wow - and people wonder why listeners have tuned out of Phantom? That's your childish reaction to criticism? Surprisingly thin skin, Richie.

And surprising that you're the one batting for the station. I know you have to eat and pay bills but why aren't the station's bosses like Ricky Geraghty or Keith Walsh or John Caddell responding to the criticisms from once-faithful listeners? Or is "thrashing message board malcontents" now part of your job description?

PS Arcade Fire's third album is better than their first

As i mentioned, any more questions can be pitched to my above email.

As for childish, see: anonymously sniping about a company and wishing people out of jobs.

• Advertisement

I sort of had an idea that the success of Longitude and EP might give Phantom a boost. Way to early to tell of course but I have the impression the tide is turning a bit vis-a-vis crap vs decent music.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

You judge a station based on JNLR figures? Well then, one can only presume, given her astonishing sales, that you're a massive Emeli Sandé fan, and that Phantom isn't for you.

Or maybe, that you wouldn't find us entertaining as Mrs Brown's Boys is a top-rated comedy here, and that's not really 'us'. Also, given its attendance, you think the Liverpool-Celtic friendly at Lansdowne was the most important game played on this isle in a decade?

Figures don't denote quality, we are damned good at what we do.

One gets the impression, coming here, that absolutely nothing would make the sobriquet-wielding residents of Boards happy, so why they seem to hold a bizarre sense of entitlement over a radio station baffles me.

If any of you, being adults and using actual names, have anything constructive to add, i'd be delighted to hear it.

Warmest regards

Richie

As for childish, see: anonymously sniping about a company and wishing people out of jobs.

So have I got it wrong or do you just want nice things posted here and any form of criticism to go to your email?

I think what has annoyed most listeners over the years was the gradual change in format to one where, to me, it was no different to spin/fm104 during the daytime. And yep I stopped listening. I still listen to a few of the evening shows or at the weekend. I'll probably give your new slot a go too.

If I like it I'll praise it, if I don't I'll complain. Such is how it goes. One thing I am delighted about is that Phantom finally realised that it needed to change it's format.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CdeP

New show should be good, looking forward to it. What does it mean for Cinerama though? Very pointed reference to film in Richie's original tweet. Anyone have any idea? It's one of the very few consistently good shows on Phantom. Also the music Gavin plays is generally better than most of the playlisted stuff on Phantom. Hope it doesn't go.

CdeP wrote: »
    New show should be good, looking forward to it. What does it mean for Cinerama though? Very pointed reference to film in Richie's original tweet. Anyone have any idea? It's one of the very few consistently good shows on Phantom. Also the music Gavin plays is generally better than most of the playlisted stuff on Phantom. Hope it doesn't go.
    Agreed, id be sad to see it go

Very poor but sadly predictable comeback. It's a public forum - email is private. Questions were asked in public so answer them here. Surely, you don't have to run everything by Ricky Geraghty, Keith Walsh, John Caddell and Denis O'Brien? Or is that a job condition now?

• Advertisement

Very poor but sadly predictable comeback. It's a public forum - email is private. Questions were asked in public so answer them here. Surely, you don't have to run everything by Ricky Geraghty, Keith Walsh, John Caddell and Denis O'Brien? Or is that a job condition now?

Any other names your "mole" told you that you want to list off? And yet you seem so reticent to provide your own. C'mon, be an adult....

Any more details on the new show Richie?

?

?

Pretty much what we tweeted last week.

All revealed on the 16th, just know it'll be brilliant.

Pretty much what we tweeted last week.

Looking forward to it!

Looking forward to it!

Some positivity around these parts, unbelievable!!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Pretty much what we tweeted last week, Bill.

Super stuff Richie! I think many are looking forward to this.

Also, the big question we all want to know....
    have you seen Pat Kenny in the building yet? Do you all have to bow to him if you bump into him in the lift?

:P

Any other names your "mole" told you that you want to list off? And yet you seem so reticent to provide your own. C'mon, be an adult....

Huh? What names? Sure, anyone who looks at the Phantom website will see the names I listed.

I think, Richie, you're just trying to muddy the waters and confuse the issue. Shame to see a person who was once a fine DJ turn into a Communicorp sleveen. I hope they're paying you well for it.

Again, we're back to asking you to respond to the questions above. As simple as that.

Huh? What names? Sure, anyone who looks at the Phantom website will see the names I listed.

I think, Richie, you're just trying to muddy the waters and confuse the issue. Shame to see a person who was once a fine DJ turn into a Communicorp sleveen. I hope they're paying you well for it.

Again, we're back to asking you to respond to the questions above. As simple as that.

Alright champ, the only question i've seen directly asked is along the lines of "why have figures fallen down?", yet Lordgoat has (in an incredibly uneducated manner) compared us to market leaders. So, you tell me, what is you want, exactly? The waters have been muddied only by throwaway complaints by nameless (see also: gutless) people like yourself.

Sad to see confirmation Cinerama is gone, was consistently a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CdeP

Sad to see confirmation Cinerama is gone, was consistently a great show.

Such a shame. The Second Captains podcast on the Irish Times has been a great success so could the Irish Times maybe bring Cinerama back as a weekly podcast to supplement their existing film coverage? Half the contributors are Irish Times writers as it is. Obviously Cinerama didn't attract the same listenership figures as Off The Ball but I think people would listen. I would anyway.

Tara and Don get on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Phantom is the only station I listen to despite the Nova sticker in the car window ( I would replace it but don't have a Phantom one).
    The reason Phantom is so good is firstly because I like the music they play but also because it has everything on offer. It has the hilarious Joe & Keith in the morning who I could listen to all day. They seriously crack me up. Then you have the likes of John and Richie who clearly know their stuff when it comes to music. In work I have to listen to rubbish stations and the presenters are boring, unfunny and don't seem to know anything other than what's in the charts now and what celebrities are getting up to.
    I'm getting married in two weeks and have a former Phantom DJ playing at the wedding. That being said, I will be on honeymoon from the 15th so I will miss this big announcement until I get back. Hopefully it's good.

Alright champ, the only question i've seen directly asked is along the lines of "why have figures fallen down?", yet Lordgoat has (in an incredibly uneducated manner) compared us to market leaders. So, you tell me, what is you want, exactly? The waters have been muddied only by throwaway complaints by nameless (see also: gutless) people like yourself.

hahaha cheers for the response. There's no way I'd compare ye to market leaders but hey it's not like RichieMc can miss an opportunity to have a little dig. Keep going though.

lordgoat wrote: »
    hahaha cheers for the response. There's no way I'd compare ye to market leaders but hey it's not like RichieMc can miss an opportunity to have a little dig. Keep going though.

"I think what has annoyed most listeners over the years was the gradual change in format to one where, to me, it was no different to spin/fm104 during the daytime. And yep I stopped listening"

Enjoy your hubris

"I think what has annoyed most listeners over the years was the gradual change in format to one where, to me, it was no different to spin/fm104 during the daytime. And yep I stopped listening"

Enjoy your hubris

So I shouldn't compare you to other Dublin radio stations? Maybe I should have put you up against Lucan FM?

Market leaders to me, means 2fm, newstalk, today fm.

Enjoy your hubris.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

some great tunes on today's finest worksongs. James Brown, Billy Bragg, Teenage Fanclub's radio.

good interview with BB too.

Very interesting to read what your owners Communicorp think the station is about

"Phantom 105.2 is a Dublin based radio station, playing mostly alternative rock, alternative dance and hip-hop from local and international acts"

http://www.communicorp.ie/markets/ireland/

They obviously haven't listened to the station since it got rid of the decent DJs. Or maybe Ricky Geraghty is telling them porkies about what's on the playlist

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

calling people gutless and brushing everything off with flippant remarks instead of engaging in discussion really comes across as quite pathetic, petty, and childish.

i can only imagine how some of the other Phantom employees who read here are cringing tbh.

Dublin, all adults 15+ says....

98fm - 9%
    fm104 - 22%
    spin- 13%
    phantom - 2%
    nova - 4%
    classic hits fm -2%
    sunshine - 3%

From those figures I suppose 104 would be a market leader. So I was incorrect on that score.

However my point was the reason I stopped listening was to me phantom started sounding just like them, tiny playlist with more radio friendly songs.

What I find most humorous is that the most commonly pointed out annoyance with the station is the ever shrinking playlist yet it seems that we the listener should just be quiet and not bother giving any criticism.

• Advertisement

Wow, amazingly abusive PM from RichieMc - we've obviously hit a sore spot. The joys of being able to raise questions and issues online and in public and point out when they're ignored

Advertisement