Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All new Phantom mid Sept. '13???

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

windowcleaner, RichieMc, lordgoat, & ghostdancer! Can't we all just get along? Obviously this debate has raised passions, and it show's that people have feelings about Phantom, be it diverse ones. How about we just agree to differ and see how things go?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

windowcleaner, RichieMc, lordgoat, & ghostdancer! Can't we all just get along? Obviously this debate has raised passions, and it show's that people have feelings about Phantom, be it diverse ones. How about we just agree to differ and see how things go?

It's not a debate if only one side engage. Sure we can agree to differ i have no problem there. What I found least helpful were comments aimed not to debate but to disengage the disagreeing poster, be it with a non response or a put down. From both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Is this forum moderated at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Just looked in, haven't posted here before so greetings.

Really surprised by the tone of what I'm reading. It seems clear to me that everyone posting here cares about Phantom and they probably have for a very long time. I doubt that there is any other commercial radio station that, in its various incarnations, has achieved such a level of affection. I don't want to go off topic, but it's always seemed to me that the real thing that went wrong for Phantom was timing. Indie as we know it probably peaked back in the 90s up to the early 2000s and if that wasn't enough the long legal battle coincided with the advent of mp3 players which gave musos a power over their listening that conventional radio couldn't match.

Anyway, hopefully back on topic. I am surprised to read the tone of Richie's posts. He takes issue with the anonymous nature of the forum and he wouldn't be the first person to object to people hiding behind pseudonyms. But that's the nature of boards. If it irks him that much he'd probably be best staying away. But I really would prefer if he'd read back through the totality of what people have said so he could see: a) that they want Phantom to succeed as a business and b) that there are legitimate concerns that it might not.

It's a pity that his response has tended to evoke the spectre of Basil Fawlty rather than Fergal Quinn.

To be fair to Phantom, there have been some excellent promotional initiatives and one I'd highlight is School of Rock that certainly caught the imagination of their target audience. I think they need to do a lot more of that including very simple stuff such as giveaways near DART stations/LUAS stops/schools etc. The problem is that maybe the demographic they're chasing isn't as easily defined as it once was. I went to college in the 90s, a time when we didn't all wear the class hoodie and there seemed to be a great variety of eclectic types around the place. I get the impression that students today are more conformist. I wonder what Phantom's own research shows because I'm sure they do plenty.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Super news. Nadine o regan gets a bigger show for Saturday mornings.

http://nadineoregan.wordpress.com/2013/09/10/good-news-department/

Delighted for her as the kiosk is one of the better shows out there. Shame it's on a) so early. And b) clashes with pearl over on 8radio

2 great shows on Saturday mornings. more of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Is Pearl still on 8Radio? I thought she was only on while they were on FM, I'll have to get the laptop fired up earlier on Sundays!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Is this forum moderated at all?

It used to be modded by Phantom's Simon Maher! ;)

I went totally off Phantom for a while around the time Richie & Michelle's breakfast show was cut. I only listen to the radio in the car which means half an hour in the morning and evening, i.e. breakfast and drivetime shows. I honestly tried but I just can't listen to Joe & Keith so that's the morning out. It's pretty sad that Nova's Pat Courtney is less head-wrecking than J&K. I was never a Claire Beck fan either but I have to say she has improved tremendously lately and I find myself tuning in to Phantom more regularly now on the drive home. Also the music on Phantom seems to have improved quite a bit lately.

Richie, you're a fantastic presenter IMO but bejaysus you get your back up something fierce on the interwebs! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Richie, you're a fantastic presenter IMO but bejaysus you get your back up something fierce on the interwebs!

"Richie, your show is crap and I hate Phantom because the music you all play isn't underground enough and I hope you all get fired. Why won't you respond to my comments"

Christ, if some people hate phantom that much they could just not listen to it. Fire up your CD player and listen to Burzum or Squarepusher or whatever takes your fancy.

For me, I think the biggest issue with Phantom is that it's caught between two markets, on one side you have the kind of people who have favourite Pavement albums, and on the other you have people who want the newest stuff from Chvrches or Chase & Status.

Btw, I always wonder how is Fugazi pronounced? Is it Foogatsy or Foogassy?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

Foogassy. Fugazi was an American GI slang during the Vietnam war. "Fugazi" is an acronym which stands for "****ed Up, Got Ambushed, Zipped In."

Nam also gave us FOOBAR - ****ed Up Beyond All Recognition.

And the odd joke - How many nam vets does it take to change a lightbulb? You wouldn't know man, you weren't there!

Anyway, back to Phantom chat now. Apologies for the diversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Foogassy. Fugazi was an American GI slang during the Vietnam war. "Fugazi" is an acronym which stands for "****ed Up, Got Ambushed, Zipped In."

And the odd joke - How many nam vets does it take to change a lightbulb? You wouldn't know man, you weren't there!

That was a very nice diversion...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

I always thought foobar was a bastardisation of the German word furchtbar (not to be confused with the German word fruchtbar, which means something totally different). Then again I don't think I've ever seen FOOBAR in its written form.

That's my new thing learned for today. Apologies for diverting the diversion :pac:

Advertisement