Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad smell in East Clare.

• 13-08-2013 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I was pottering about and I got a sudden strong whiff of dog. You know that smell a dog gets when it has been kept outside and the coat gets oily, it was a lot like that. It wasn't a smell of fart or infection or any of the other niffs that can follow a dog around, it was just the smell of an unkempt coat. I checked both my dogs, but they both smell fresh and delightful.
    Much later when I was going to bed (about 1am) I went into the bathroom and got the pong again. I noted that the window had been open all day. I thought maybe one of my neighbour's dogs was trapped in my back yard, and went out to check but as soon as I stepped outside I realised the smell was just everywhere.
    This morning I was chatting with my neighbour and he mentioned it. He said he had been talking to another man miles away and he had experienced it too. He was wondering if I had heard any explanation for it.
    I live between two farms, so I am well used to the many hearty country aromas that drift on the wind, but this is new to me.
    Has anybody else caught the aroma in the last few days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

east clare very big!location would help!lots of crustys in feakle over the weekend any help?(joke btw mods)
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Sonz

Its the same in ennis town, heard it off a few people not sure whats going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Dynamo Roller

Find out if theres a vermiculture plant in the area. They give off a strong gassy smell and are bad for your health. I used to call to a house about 5 miles from a plant and you could smell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

OP here. I'm in the Knappogue area, east of Quin. The person my neighbour was talking to lives at least ten miles away, I'm not sure where.
    Has anybody else picked up the decidedly doggy smell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

It's in Ennis this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 bannerfella

Smell bad here at Clarecastle side of Ennis. What is is causing it at all????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

Smell bad here at Clarecastle side of Ennis. What is is causing it at all????

used to be called smelltex when i was in flannans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Hah.. I was going round the house wondering had I left a door open and a neighbouring cat had got indoors. Went out in the garden and realised it's out there. Smells like pig slurry. Pretty overpowering to be fair.

I'm on Cahercalla Road.

Side effect of fracking? I'd want to be careful where I light up a cigarette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Roche? Has to be, growing up in Ennis they used to get blamed for the smell like rotten eggs that used to appear from time to time
    Not smelling anything tonight thank god
    (On Tulla Road)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

It's the all-pervasive smell of generations of Fianna Fail corruption. It had to surface eventually. Is the Great White Shark beached anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

My Facebook feed is full of people complaining about it so I'm sure the Clare People will have a good headline about it tomorrow.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I could smell that around town too. Very strong also, but couldn't get my head around it.

Its being discussed on clare fm this morning. Be interesting to find out what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We had the smell in ennis all day yesterday. It's mad if it could be smelt all the way in east clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Mr. G wrote: »
    I could smell that around town too. Very strong also, but couldn't get my head around it.

Its being discussed on clare fm this morning. Be interesting to find out what it is.

Little or no hope of finding out what it is. Brian Meaney and Clare FM have had no luck with the Co. Council which says it is 'looking into this odour nuisance'. Meaney described the smell as 'inoffensive'. It was a pretty awful smell around 5pm in some areas of Ennis and a concern for people with specific medical conditions.

Balagan wrote: »
    Little or no hope of finding out what it is. Brian Meaney and Clare FM have had no luck with the Co. Council which says it is 'looking into this odour nuisance'. Meaney described the smell as 'inoffensive'. It was a pretty awful smell and a concern for people with certain medical conditions.

They said that it could be in relation to the current works in Francis Street and elsewhere down the River Fergus. Other ideas was it could be down the industrial estates. I can't smell it at the moment now. It would be interesting to see what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

I smelled it myself yesterday as well I believe it was a truck carrying dead animals because a big truck passed my house that day and I nearly fell over with the smell jesus it was horrible like decaying meat/gasses.

Did anyone hear what the smell was caused by?

The latest update I got was that the council were "investigating it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Back to the OP: I live in East Clare, too, and I had the very same smell over here, just a whiff, but a bad one. Scolded the dog at first (did'ya fart again, bad girl), but the smell disappeared too quickly to be from the dog, who otherwise smells of roses, or so her eyes say...)

You all talk about the smell in the Ennis area or thereabouts. But can it travel as far as East Clare?

Thinking of it, it smelled a bit of leaking gas. But where from? Natural occurrence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

any fracking going on??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Carry wrote: »
    Back to the OP: I live in East Clare, too, and I had the very same smell over here, just a whiff, but a bad one. Scolded the dog at first (did'ya fart again, bad girl), but the smell disappeared too quickly to be from the dog, who otherwise smells of roses, or so her eyes say...)

You all talk about the smell in the Ennis area or thereabouts. But can it travel as far as East Clare?

Thinking of it, it smelled a bit of leaking gas. But where from? Natural occurrence?

Gas is oderless though, they add the smell to aid in leak detection.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Sorry, ate beans again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Sorry, ate beans again...

...and I was drinking porter last night.

Maybe it was the smell of victory?!

Auldloon wrote: »
    Maybe it was the smell of victory?!

Ah Limerick don't smell that bad :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Driving past Ennis there a while ago on my way to Galway and the smell on the motorway was rotten. Nearly got sick.

That will probably be Roche a pharma plant in clarecastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Have been in Bunratty a few times in the last few weeks and there's definitely a nasty smell around the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Driving past Ennis there a while ago on my way to Galway and the smell on the motorway was rotten. Nearly got sick.

Same here, coming home from the match last Saturday evening. All the way from Bunratty until we turned off for Ennis. It must have been a lorry carrying dead cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

Don't fart in the car with the windows closed:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

Scary really. What could it be? I've noticed it in ennis but not in east Clare so far.

Advertisement