Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stair gates

Options
  • 13-08-2013 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

It's nearly time to start looking at stair gates and just looking for some recommendations and advice. The bottom of our stairs will not fit a standard stair gate so we will require one that comes with extensions or is extendable.

Can anyone recommend one that they found good?

Preferably one that can be opened with one hand?

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We never put one on the bottom of the stairs. That was where she learnt to climb stairs (under supervision of course!)

We just put one at the top so she couldn't fall down the stairs.

We got one similar to this one in Barbers - cork, I think they have a dublin shop too.
    http://www.inhealth.ie/Products/Babydan-Multidan-Beechwood-Gate-64---102cm__41588.aspx

It is wooden, doesn't have a rail you can trip over at the bottom, and is extendable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We also didn't bother with one. Our stairs is a slightly awkward design so we decided to just teach the child to climb up and down safely. We keep an eye on her but no major accidents so far. They have to learn sometime was our thinking. She's learned not to climb up or down unless we're there with her, and she's a pretty adventurous child.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I would have preferred to go with no stairgates and just teach him to be safe but my stairs are very dangerous with mismatched steps that vary between 5" and 15" high. We couldn't put a regular stairgate on them so we made a barrier with wood and attached metal braces to the wall that hold it in place. But if you have normal stairs imo teaching them safe climbing is best. He's been climbing my parents' stairs since a little past 8mo and he's great at it though he still hasn't quite grasped that he must only come down backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭muttley-dps

We had lindam gates at top and bottom (one new, spring close and one hand me down, manual close) ... think you can get them with expansions to fit most stairs. The spring close is handy but on occasion forgot to close the manual one. Next thing you know baby is halfway up the stairs. Taught her to climb supervised each morning/night going up and down the stairs.

Recently removed bottom one to put across her bedroom door as she ran amock when moved to a big bed. Now she just re-decorates her room for half an hour every night before sleep comes :D

Advertisement