Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training for sprint Tri without losing weight/Muscle mass

Options
  • 13-08-2013 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

Is this possible? Thinking about doing some Sprints next year, the only thing that puts me off is the Idea i would lose weight from all the cardio-training.
    Am 6'1 and hover around the 14 stone mark,which I'm quite happy with. Do a good bit of OW swimming (Currently hitting 5.58 in 400TT's) . I surf a lot and do a good bit of bodyweight training and some weights.
    Running,dont do a lot of this,mainly for the same reason as Im worried about tri. Run the odd road race, 5K PB is 19:50 this year
    Really have no interest in dropping 1 or 2 stone but that seems to be what I would need to do to be competitive in these? or have i got the wrong impression?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

If you want to be competetive you have to lose a good bit of muscle mass.
    At the same time your swim and run times are already at very decent club level.
    So what i am saying is you could already do a tri next week and would do ok with the training you are doing right now.

At the same time, with times like that you could become a competetive athlete in not too much time.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

peter kern wrote: »
    If you want to be competetive you have to lose a good bit of muscle mass.
    At the same time your swim and run times are already at very decent club level.
    So what i am saying is you could already do a tri next week and would do ok with the training you are doing right now.

At the same time, with times like that you could become a competetive athlete in not too much time.

Wont be doing one till next summer anyway, need to get pick up a bike. What should I be doing over the winter? Going to be swimming with a Tri club anyway, and surfing(which can make following overly structured plans difficult). Googling for plans just leads to being inundated with plans for people with no sprting background, or else overloaded with jargon.

Also thinking of buying a Garmin 910XT. it was amazing the difference my Temp-Trainer made to swim sessions this year, stopped me from being lazy and ensured I did the work, assuming having one of these and a heart-monitor woul do wonders for the running

Advertisement