Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to New Zealand

• 13-08-2013 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi Folks, just looking for some friendly tips.
    I'm 25. I plan on going to New Zealand in January. I would like to get into some farming over there. I am a country boy but my family sold our farm when I was young so I don't have much farming experience from Ireland, just driving tractors on a friends farm. I was in Australia for 2 years and while there worked on a cattle station for 2 months and also a Stud Farm for 5 months. Both tough jobs and long hours but it's something I enjoyed and would like to get back into some sort of farming in New Zealand. Would like to give dairy a try. I have truck license (both rigid and arctic) if that makes it easier to get some farm work, but because I have them less than 2 years I would have to do another test in NZ. In Australia I was driving trucks on the station before I had my license, police were never an issue and it didn't really matter because the farms are so big and I never took the truck off the property. It would probably be different in NZ I'm guessing..
    Do any other people have farming experience in NZ? What did you do and what was it like? Where can I find farm work? and what was your general experience of NZ? I'm also aware that the wages are a lot less than Australia :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Rather than start another thread I will bump this up.Im looking for similar info too,Im thinking of going to New Zealand in the new year,I love the outdoors and like animals so Im thinking about going for farm work but I have zero experience in farming.

Would I be likely to get a job on a farm or would I just get in the way? Or are there many jobs for begnners in that area?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Check out Fonterra fencepost site for jobs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2 farmerboys

what the best websites to look for jobs in new zealand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

As suggested by previous poster, Fonterra Fencepost or try Federated Farmers (http://www.fedfarm.org.nz/services/Rural-Jobs/ ). Another alternative is look up the region you want to work in (Waikato, Northland, Taranaki, Southland, Canterbury etc), and look for the Young Farmers Groups either on the internet or on Facebook, and try and connect that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 soonleng.lim

Best place to look for a job in NZ is trademe.co.nz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Yeah trade me for jobs, can't go wrong. Actually seek is better for jobs I find!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Yeah Seek is good for jobs in general, but for farm jobs in particular the Fencepost site is really your go-to place. Else, like another poster said, ask the local Young Farmers clubs and they'll point you in the right direction :)

Frankly if you can speak/write English and are in any way competent, you shouldn't have much of an issue finding farm work. Here's something else for you to have a read over :)http://www.ssnz.govt.nz/working-in-new-zealand/dairyfarm/

Advertisement