Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting gas pipe from Boundary Wall to Boilerhouse

• 13-08-2013 7:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

BGN have just told me they will only fit the meter on the inside of the boundary wall which I guess is just to the right of side gate, and before the ESB Box

What are the options to run a pipe from there to boilerhouse and would it be a big job.

Burying it under the gravel path which I intend to get concreted over later hopefully, looks obvious but what depth would it have to be at.

BackGardenSideGateview_zpsef8aa6ea.jpg

BoilerhouseView_zps0af0a41c.jpg

FromKitchenDoorView_zps2cd75654.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

All gas works, including pipe work can only be done by an RGI. 375mm minimum depth & a whole lot more regs for safety must be abided by.
    Don't mess with this yourself. There are a number of ways of achieving the required installation & any decent RGI will be able to advise.

If not, BGN will not switch on the supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

:eek: Jesus Shane I've no Intention of doing this myself, just teasing out the possibilities for the pipe run and what the lads here might suggest best way to go.

Is it a big job if burying the pipe, would a wide trench have to be opened up or is there a neat and quick way of doing it just curious to know what can be done and what to expect before getting someone out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Yella gas pipe. And 10 inches down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Have a read of : http://www.bordgaisnetworks.ie/Global/Get%20Connected/BGN%20Get%20Connected%20Web%20Content/Get%20Connected%20Documents/Guideline_for_Designers_Builders_Booklet_1.pdf

Downstream of the meter, it is your responsibility. In the guide linked above:

For downstream of the meter
    Irish Standard I.S.813 “Domestic Gas Installations” and
    I.S.820 “Non-Domestic Gas Installations” apply to the
    gas installation downstream of the point of delivery
    (normally the meter)

Nominally I'd suggest 300mm cover, along a sensible route that you won't drive a space through

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Yella gas pipe. And 10 inches down

Wrong

• Advertisement

Dardania wrote: »
    Have a read of : http://www.bordgaisnetworks.ie/Global/Get%20Connected/BGN%20Get%20Connected%20Web%20Content/Get%20Connected%20Documents/Guideline_for_Designers_Builders_Booklet_1.pdf

Downstream of the meter, it is your responsibility. In the guide linked above:

For downstream of the meter
    Irish Standard I.S.813 “Domestic Gas Installations” and
    I.S.820 “Non-Domestic Gas Installations” apply to the
    gas installation downstream of the point of delivery
    (normally the meter)

Nominally I'd suggest 300mm cover, along a sensible route that you won't drive a space through

Sorry, I was just making sure you were not doing it yourself as many people here gain advice only to do the works, not just the people who are requesting but also the people who just stumble across the thread.

IS813 applies in this instance. There are many criteria of that reg that will apply such as a minimum of 375mm. What goes over & above the pipe also has affect. The type of pipe material used. If PE (da yella pipe!!!) how is it terminated as UV breaks it down. How does it transition to GB or copper, etc. Gas marker tape, secondary ECV required, pipe diameter required to maintain correct working pressure when ALL gas appliances are on full power, & a few more I could throw in.

So you see, it is a job for a professional & not just stick a bit of yella pipe 10" deep, which people wonder why I get pi55ed off when I see posts like that & worse still, I see installations like that.

It is not a major job, relatively easy but a decent RGI should advise on inspection as easier routes may be found when on site that you may miss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Just dig a 500-600mm deep trench down/accross the garden to the boilerhouse

The registered gas fitter can then do the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

paddy147 wrote: »
    Just dig a 500-600mm deep trench down/accross the garden to the boilerhouse

The registered gas fitter can then do the rest.

An SDS drill and a 1000mm long drill bit can be used to drill downwards from inside the boilerhouse into the bottom of the trench for the gas pipe to be brought up and in.

PE pipe cannot be brought inside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Dtp79 wrote: »
    PE pipe cannot be brought inside.

Ok so.......best just to stick to the trench bit then.

Think I had better edit my previous post upon note of that:pac::D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Trench would the pipe width plus 300mm

Further info on www.bgn.ie
    Under 'Gettimg Connected'
    Some good PDF files for all your trenching questions

• Advertisement
Advertisement