Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing the LL stuff with my own?

Options
  • 13-08-2013 7:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

My mam thinks i'm stupid and wasting my money, the new gaff was fully kitted out with everything and was fairly pricey stuff.

But i decided that if anything was broke/damaged i'd have to replace it....like the LL toaster cost 40 quid, i bought one in Argos for a fiver etc. So i've been swapping out everything he owns with my own [cheaper] stuff.

Is my mam right or am i :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My mam thinks i'm stupid and wasting my money, the new gaff was fully kitted out with everything and was fairly pricey stuff.

But i decided that if anything was broke/damaged i'd have to replace it....like the LL toaster cost 40 quid, i bought one in Argos for a fiver etc. So i've been swapping out everything he owns with my own [cheaper] stuff.

Is my mam right or am i :confused:

Your mam is right. If the toaster breaks as a result of normal wear and tear, as toasters eventually will, then the landlord would have to replace it. Not you. It's only if you do something out of the ordinary with the toaster and cause it to break, that you could be expected to replace it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Twice I have had the experience of people I know having had part or all of their deposits withheld for leaving houshold equipment in a "damaged or insanitary state".

The modern pricing of many household items now makes the basic models almost disposeable and very cheap to afford.

Especially if sharing I would swap out any fancy or pricey items with cheap basic items and use these instead.

Let the landlord know this and if possible have the "risky" items removed so that he is under no illusion that he can charge for any real or imaginary damage to the item.

Many Landlords try to keep as much of the deposit as they can by inventing or exaggerating wear and tear and damage to items such as cookers and household utensils. Make sure these are minded and kept well, cleaned regularly and used within their limits.

Especially risky are damage caused by children and pets or guests of the tenant, keep house parties to a minimum as these can be a source of much damage.

Keep all bins emptied and colllected regularly and all payments up to date. This a source of much expense and withholding of deposits by landlords when houses become vacant and have to be cleaned out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

doolox wrote: »
    Twice I have had the experience of people I know having had part or all of their deposits withheld for leaving houshold equipment in a "damaged or insanitary state".

The modern pricing of many household items now makes the basic models almost disposeable and very cheap to afford.

That was my logic....i could buy everything and own everything myself for much less then what the LL paid, like i bought an iron for 4.50 in Argos amd his was like 50 quid.

As you say LL do find excuses, using their stuff could cause tension etc. - just think its less hassle longer term to own my own stuff........
    Especially if sharing I would swap out any fancy or pricey items with cheap basic items and use these instead.

Let the landlord know this and if possible have the "risky" items removed so that he is under no illusion that he can charge for any real or imaginary damage to the item.

Many Landlords try to keep as much of the deposit as they can by inventing or exaggerating wear and tear and damage to items such as cookers and household utensils. Make sure these are minded and kept well, cleaned regularly and used within their limits.

Especially risky are damage caused by children and pets or guests of the tenant, keep house parties to a minimum as these can be a source of much damage.

Keep all bins emptied and colllected regularly and all payments up to date. This a source of much expense and withholding of deposits by landlords when houses become vacant and have to be cleaned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you're on another 10 year RAS term, don't bother. The toaster will likely wear out and need replacement by then well before you have any chance of breaking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Mams are always right!

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    If you're on another 10 year RAS term, don't bother. The toaster will likely wear out and need replacement by then well before you have any chance of breaking it.

lol...4 year contract. And sure tis only a fiver for a new toaster.....;)

lol...4 year contract. And sure tis only a fiver for a new toaster.....;)

And a fiver for an iron, and a fiver for the new toaster when the fiver one burns out after a loaf... adds up.

Use the kit that's there, don't abuse it; no need to buy your own. If you want to get your own higher quality stuff, do but don't have yourself using bargain basement kit for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The problem as I see it is that the landlord is under no obligation to remove their items from the property (unless they agreed to do so prior to your moving in), so it seems pointless to me to have to store all of their stuff just so you can bring in your own stuff.

Look after the appliances and dont abuse them and there will be no reason for the landlord to expect you to replace them. If they break due to normal wear and tear (as most small appliances eventually will) then its not your responsibility to sort them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, what exactly are you doing with the landlord's stuff in the meantime?

Ahh, what exactly are you doing with the landlord's stuff in the meantime?

I was using it, and then stored it once i had a replacement bought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

But i decided that if anything was broke/damaged i'd have to replace it...:

I wouldn't rent a place if you weren't happy with the contents.

Renting un-furnished like they do in Europe would solve a lot of hassle.

beauf wrote: »
    I wouldn't rent a place if you weren't happy with the contents.

Renting un-furnished like they do in Europe would solve a lot of hassle.

Nothing wrong with his stuff, quality and pricey....but twas my point, i'd never afford to replace it if it got broke or damaged. So i am buying cheapo Argos stuff.

Anyway he's agreed to take away his gear and store it or use in another property....tis just, why does me mam always have to be right.......:rolleyes:

Personally Id prefer to use the decent stuff and look after it rather than having to use a load of cheap appliances from Argos, but each to their own I guess. It would take a fairly spectacular effort to break a toaster or a kettle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

So the landlord provided you with nice expensive appliances, which he is obliged to replace if they break due to normal wear and tear. But you decided to replace all of these things with fiver replacements from Argos. What a spectacular waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Not every LL would be able to store stuff you don't want, so people should check that before committing to rent a place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

djimi wrote: »
    Personally Id prefer to use the decent stuff and look after it rather than having to use a load of cheap appliances from Argos, but each to their own I guess. It would take a fairly spectacular effort to break a toaster or a kettle...

+1

When I last bought a kettle- I spent 40 quid on it- and 35 quid on a decent 4 slice toaster. The microwave, despite being a Kenwood, was only 75 quid (its a large capacity 80 litre model- fecking monstrous thing- but it was a display model- and I made them an offer for their display models of quite a few different things (incl. 2 fridges, an undercounter freezer, 1 washing machine and other bits and bods- got the lot for less than 30% of list price.

Just because its a good brand, and of a decent quality- doesn't mean it has to cost the earth.

If I was renting- particularly longterm- I seriously couldn't see any merit in buying my own stuff though- even good quality items have finite lifespans. A landlord can use the cost of these items as tax deductible expenses (evenly discounted over a 5 year basis from date of purchase)- you as a tenant, cannot.

Everyone unto themselves- I just don't understand why you'd get rid of nice equipment and replace it with cheapo crap from Argos..........

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You have the ability to decide how you want to live, and you've decided that you want to use cheap cr*p. This is more about you and your life choices than anything.

Your mam is 100% correct.

I'm scratching my head on this one.......
    Just why would you want to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

I'm scratching my head on this one.......
    Just why would you want to do this?

Tenants are scared of landlords.

Jury is in then....i'm a right eejit. showed mam the thread...laughing her ass off here :mad:

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Jury is in then....i'm a right eejit. showed mam the thread...laughing her ass off here :mad:

:o

Finally you're seeing sense! Honestly, what you were doing was the biggest waste of money and buying cheap crap would cost you more in the long run as you'd probably be replacing the €5 junk every 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Am I the only one wondering why the OP didn't just call up the landlord and ask them what happens if/when an appliance breaks or wears or stops working? Will the land lord replace it, or are they ok with the OP doing it, does the OP get repaid for that & what does the OP do with the old stuff etc etc etc. You can't just go about making up your own rules about this kind of stuff. Surely its the OP's landlord who can provide the OP with the correct course of action here, and not some random strangers on the internet?

I told him when i moved in i wasn't comfortable having all his stuff there....he had an LCD tv as well that i had him remove the first day, i told him i would over time swap out his stuff with mine and to take it all away when he got the chance.

He said fine, he has other properties so i guess he'll use them there or as backups. etc.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Am I the only one wondering why the OP didn't just call up the landlord and ask them what happens if/when an appliance breaks or wears or stops working? Will the land lord replace it, or are they ok with the OP doing it, does the OP get repaid for that & what does the OP do with the old stuff etc etc etc. You can't just go about making up your own rules about this kind of stuff. Surely its the OP's landlord who can provide the OP with the correct course of action here, and not some random strangers on the internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I told him when i moved in i wasn't comfortable having all his stuff there....he had an LCD tv as well that i had him remove the first day, i told him i would over time swap out his stuff with mine and to take it all away when he got the chance.

He said fine, he has other properties so i guess he'll use them there or as backups. etc.
    Many people prefer a part furnished flat/house as they can then put their own stamp on it and make it much more homely. if you are using other people's toaster and kettle it is not as relaking or nice as knowing that although the building is not your own at lease most of the contents are. Also it is better as if you break something you don't have to be worried about what the LL might be thinking.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Many people prefer a part furnished flat/house as they can then put their own stamp on it and make it much more homely. if you are using other people's toaster and kettle it is not as relaking or nice as knowing that although the building is not your own at lease most of the contents are. Also it is better as if you break something you don't have to be worried about what the LL might be thinking.

The OP has a four year lease; the landlord has effectively gifted him these appliances given the life span they would have. It's one thing wanting to make the place your own; it's another thing entirely giving up good appliances that will most likely die naturally in the lifetime of the lease anyway so that you can replace them with cheap stuff from Argos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

djimi wrote: »
    The OP has a four year lease; the landlord has effectively gifted him these appliances given the life span they would have. It's one thing wanting to make the place your own; it's another thing entirely giving up good appliances that will most likely die naturally in the lifetime of the lease anyway so that you can replace them with cheap stuff from Argos.

True but as said before some tenants of a certain generation/age can have a fear of breaking things and finding themselves locked out with their belongings thrown out on the street.

True but as said before some tenants of a certain generation/age can have a fear of breaking things and finding themselves locked out with their belongings thrown out on the street.

Law is stacked in favour of tenants these days- not landlords- Landlords have very few rights- even when tenants act the maggot and don't pay rent, destroy the property or are anti-social in the extreme. It regularly takes over a year to evict tenants who aren't paying their rent. This argument about tenants fearing being evicted and thrown out in the street- is a total and utter misrepresentation of the facts on the ground- there are far more tenants screwing over landlords and not paying rent- than there are illegal evictions.

I'd prefer to use someone else's proper toaster over a bargain basement one from Argos.

If you want to use your own *better* equipment it makes sense. This doesn't.

MYOB wrote: »
    I'd prefer to use someone else's proper toaster over a bargain basement one from Argos.

If you want to use your own *better* equipment it makes sense. This doesn't.

Dunno...alot of negativity toward Argos stuff here?....just because its cheap dosent mean its crap!!

Yeah they have less features, Argos value....but they do the job. I'm sensing that people think i am being rude or disrespectful by not using the LL higher quality stuff :confused:

If anything i am being more respectful not not using his gear.....

• Advertisement

Cheap appliances are just that; they look awful and generally last no time at all. They might do a job but its false economy when you have to keep replacing them every few months, and if given a choice between having a nice looking well made and well styled kettle/toaster on my counter, or having some white plastic monstrosity that I got in Argos/Tescos, I know which Id choose. Each to their own, but when the decent appliance only costs about €40, looks better and will last longer, as far as Im concerned its a no brainer.

Advertisement