Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC ONE X reset itself- How do I get my data back???

• 13-08-2013 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi I had my phone in my hand and I noticed that it was trying to update apps for a long time. I decided to re-boot it, but when I turned it off a green circle appeared on the screen with an arrow facing downwards. I turned it off again, hoping it would just re-boot, but it appears to have wiped the phone. It is taking me through set up all over again

NIGHTMARE as I have all my work data on this

PLEASE help me get my data back :o
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like you interrupted a critical update and put it into recovery. It saved itself but its very likely your data(on the phone storage) is gone. SD data will still be there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Twiggy69

Thanks ED E, I'm after finding the back up from my iPhone 4s that I did at the end of May and my son seems to have rescued some of the most recent numbers through GMail, so I'm just hoping the data from the iPhone is restored successfully on the HTC One. I cannot believe that with all it's wizardry that it doesn't back up to Dropbox or some such??? It's been my right arm for the past few months and the calendar alone was worth any money to me. I'm seriously P 'd about the situation. Have I any recourse with HTC? It shut down unexpectedly and asked me to send a message to HTC at the weekend. I can't believe that didn't prompt me to do a full back up, but it didn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Twiggy69 wrote: »
    Thanks ED E, I'm after finding the back up from my iPhone 4s that I did at the end of May and my son seems to have rescued some of the most recent numbers through GMail, so I'm just hoping the data from the iPhone is restored successfully on the HTC One. I cannot believe that with all it's wizardry that it doesn't back up to Dropbox or some such??? It's been my right arm for the past few months and the calendar alone was worth any money to me. I'm seriously P 'd about the situation. Have I any recourse with HTC? It shut down unexpectedly and asked me to send a message to HTC at the weekend. I can't believe that didn't prompt me to do a full back up, but it didn't!

What data are you missing?

Anything stored to SD Card should be safe.
    All contacts synchronise with Gmail so should be safe.
    If you use Google Calendar then that data is safe too.
    Once you log on with your gmail username & password your contacts & calendar will drop down to the phone.
    Photos will synchronise with Dropbox (if you enabled that option). They'll also synchronise with Google Plus (if you've ever signed into that)

Your SMS messages are probably gone for good. I install this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zegoggles.smssync onto every phone I set up. Install it now and set it up. It'll back up all new SMS messages to your Gmail account. I normally set mine to backup every 24 hours.

You have no recourse with HTC. Hard drives, flash memory, etc. fail all of the time. If the vendors paid every time data was lost they'd be out of business in a few minutes.

I know this won't make you feel better but this kind of thing happens to pretty much everybody once. I work in an IT dept. The amount of people that come in saying "I've lost my phone / laptop or the most important data I have has gotten corrupted, is there anything I can do" is quite large. Sometimes I can help them. Many times not. In all cases they go away with a newfound knowledge of backup strategies.

Sound advice there timetogo. I don't believe my (older) version of the HTC One X has a HD card. However, I mistakenly understood that between Dropbox & the HTC sync that all my data was well However, the last back up I can find seems to be May 22nd and as you say I appear to have all my contact numbers restored. All txts are zapped. I would dearly love to be able to restore my Calender, but that doesn't seem to have happened even though I have set up my Gmail account as my default e-mail account.

Any thoughts or suggestions around that would be most helpful. I have also lost all my Voice recordings (conversations with Bank Officials, lectures etc) and my Notes are also gone... and I was a demon for taking Notes. Any help to salvage anything of the above data would be hugely appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

You have no recourse with HTC not because hard drives and flash memory fail but because you caused the wipe by interrupting the update. One thing you should not do to any phone be that Android or iPhone is to interrupt an update.

More than likely the issue with your calendar not being synced with your gmail account is to do with the HTC calendar app not being the stock Android or Google Calendar App. Applications other than those are unable to add or edit items to the google calendar linked with your gmail account (haven't found out why).

You should double check that when you add or edit your contacts they are saved to your Gmail account. Previous versions of Sense used to only save them to the phone and Touchwiz does not save them to your Gmail account unless you explicitly change the option in the People app.

• Advertisement

Hi Kavrocks,
    All is not quiet as dark as I first thought. As was mentioned earlier, my Calender appears to be present up to March 2013 on my PC, so that's a big help. As you say, try though I might, I cannot get The HTC to sync the Calender with the PC. Jeez, I thought when I turned my back on the iPhone that I would be free of these anomalies!

Can you please advise how I successfully back up the content of my HTC One X other than syncing it on the HTC Sync Manager???

Many, many thanks in advance

Conor

Can you please advise how I successfully back up the content of my HTC One X other than syncing it on the HTC Sync Manager?
    Haven't used Sense in a while so I can't give you exact processes.

First, instead of using the standard calendar app that came with your phone download the Google Calendar app linked in my previous post and use it. When using it make sure you can see your email at the top of any events you edit or create (if not then change it so you can). Instead of syncing your HTC phone with your PC export your calendar from your iPhone to Google and everything should sync through your google account then.

Go into the contacts app (maybe called People) and verify that the storage location is set to your gmail account.

Photos you can have backup to your Google+ account if you download the Google+ app on first start it should prompt you to set up Instant Upload.

Text messages I think somebody covered previously.

Files can be synced on your phone to a cloud storage using the app FolderSync from the play store.

Have you anything else you need (want) backed up?

Thank you Kavrocks. I downloaded the Google Calender app and it has picked up today's entries but not the historic entries. I will keep fumbling with it, I might get it eventually. i will follow your instructions step by step and hopefully I will be in a far better position going forward than the fools paradise that I was in up to this, naively believing that between the HTC Sync Manager & Dropbox that I had all my bases covered. Sorry lesson learned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Nolimits

You've received a lot of sound advice in here already , I suspect you hadn't done it already so make sure you export your contacts to your Gmail account and you'll never lose them again.

I assume you'll be using Google Calendar from now on as well. It's easier as it'll work with any Android phone (maybe apple as well) so if your next phone isn't a HTC phone you can still just download the Google calendar again and it'll be there for you.

I suppose you know this now, but the likes of those recordings and notes you have should be backed up in the cloud. You have Dropbox and there are others like Google drive.

suppose you know this now, but the likes of those recordings and notes you have should be backed up in the cloud. You have Dropbox and there are others like Google drive.

I can't see how to back up the Voice recordings on to Dropbox. Any suggestions???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

suppose you know this now, but the likes of those recordings and notes you have should be backed up in the cloud. You have Dropbox and there are others like Google drive.

I can't see how to back up the Voice recordings on to Dropbox. Any suggestions???

Kavrocks mentioned FolderSync above.
    Looks interesting. Hadn't heard of it myself.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.tacit.android.foldersync.lite

I'd imagine you'd point it at your Voice recordings folder and it would upload them periodically to Dropbox / SkyDrive etc. etc.
    I'll be trying this out myself today.

timetogo wrote: »
    Kavrocks mentioned FolderSync above.
    Looks interesting. Hadn't heard of it myself.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.tacit.android.foldersync.lite

I'd imagine you'd point it at your Voice recordings folder and it would upload them periodically to Dropbox / SkyDrive etc. etc.
    I'll be trying this out myself today.
    Exactly.

Advertisement