Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Predictions For Your Club 2013/14

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Raf32 wrote: »
    The delusion is strong :pac:

It's not just Liverpool fans in fairness. All the Arsenal fans here are predicting 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Team Manchester United

Final Position 1st

Team top Scorer RVP

Team Player of the Year Carrick

Team young player of the Year Zaha

Flop of the year Valencia
    You're supposed to predict this season, not re-post what happened last year :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's not just Liverpool fans in fairness. All the Arsenal fans here are predicting 4th.

BUT they have a track record unlike Pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Team Aston Villa

Final Position 10th

Team top Scorer Benteke

Team Player of the Year Benteke

Team young player of the Year Helenius

Flop of the year Ireland, N'Zogbia ( again )

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Due North

Team Manchester United
    Final Position 3rd
    Team top scorer RVP
    Team player of the year Rafael
    Team young player of the year Zaha
    Flop of the year Ashley Young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm a lot more confident in Arsenal finishing top 4 then I am with Liverpool finishing 5th or higher TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Team name: Chelsea

Final league position: 1st

Team top scorer: Lukaku

Team player of the year: Hazard

Young player of the year (under 21): Lukaku (honourable mentions to Van Ginkel and Wallace, who will spend the season on loan at Inter)

Flop of the year: Mikel, always

Team name: Barcelona

Team top scorer: Messi

Team player of the year: Messi

Young player of the year (under 21): Neymar

Flop of the year: Song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Johner wrote: »

Team player of the year: Mata

Young player of the year (under 21): Lukaku ;) (Madness that he is still only 20):eek::eek::eek::eek:

Flop of the year: Mikel

dam 20 ,my vote/prediction for overall young player of the year ,

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    dam 20 ,my vote/prediction for overall young player of the year ,

what are they feeding them at all in Belgium?

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'm a lot more confident in Arsenal finishing top 4 then I am with Liverpool finishing 5th or higher TBH.

Spurs should have finished above them last year. They've bought very impressively this summer and would be pretty strong favourites for 4th this time imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Spurs should have finished above them last year. They've bought very impressively this summer and would be pretty strong favourites for 4th this time imo.

Arsenals last 12 games or so they showed League winning form, Spurs didnt. If they were consistent they would have finished above them but they couldnt and bottled it, all too familiar for Spurs in recent times.

I'll agree though that theyve bought wisely and have improved the squad but in Arsenal you've a team and manager that know how to get it done, Spurs have a very real chance of getting 4th and higher if they can be more consistent and finish strong theyll push Arsenal all the way.

In Spurs and arsenal you've 2 teams ahead of Liverpool and teams I cant see Liverpool catching this year.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Arsenals last 12 games or so they showed League winning form, Spurs didnt. If they were consistent they would have finished above them but they couldnt and bottled it, all too familiar for Spurs in recent times.

I'll agree though that theyve bought wisely and have improved the squad but in Arsenal you've a team and manager that know how to get it done, Spurs have a very real chance of getting 4th and higher if they can be more consistent and finish strong theyll push Arsenal all the way.

In Spurs and arsenal you've 2 teams ahead of Liverpool and teams I cant see Liverpool catching this year.

I'm not talking about Liverpool catching them, obviously they're not favourites to do that. I was simply pointing out that calling Liverpool fans delusional might be a bit rich since Arsenal fans are being overly optimistic about their chances of getting 4th this time around. Spurs are clearly the stronger squad now imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I'm not talking about Liverpool catching them, obviously they're not favourites to do that. I was simply pointing out that calling Liverpool fans delusional might be a bit rich since Arsenal fans are being overly optimistic about their chances of getting 4th this time around. Spurs are clearly the stronger squad now imo.

It's not delusional for Arsenal fans to think they will finish above a team they finished above last season.

It's delusional for people to think Liverpool can finish ahead of Spurs or Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Team name: Arsenal

Final league position: 5th

Team top scorer: Giroud

Team player of the year: Wilshere

Young player of the year (under 21): Chamberlain

Flop of the year: Podolski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Never has so much been made about a 5th position finish :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It's not delusional for Arsenal fans to think they will finish above a team they finished above last season.

It's delusional for people to think Liverpool can finish ahead of Spurs or Arsenal.

Have you seen what Spurs have bought this summer? Same question for Arsenal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Spurs should have finished above them last year.
    Im afraid the league table never lies.

Yes i have seen who knows how they well get on. Did you see Arsenal's form after Christmas when they had a full squad to choose from?

Spurs have signed Chadli, Soldado and Paulinho. They're now trying to land Lamela (far from certain they will, but it shows they're not done yet). Arsenal pipped them (fortuitously imo) by a single point last year, and you guys still make Arsenal favourites for 4th place as things stand right now?

Yes, it's only Liverpool fans who are delusional :pac:

Spurs have signed Chadli, Soldado and Paulinho. They're now trying to land Lamela (far from certain they will, but it shows they're not done yet). Arsenal pipped them (fortuitously imo) by a single point last year, and you guys still make Arsenal favourites for 4th place as things stand right now?

Go make a fortune so the bookies are usually not far off the mark. The fact is Arsenal are still favourites to finish ahead of Spurs. How you can call Arsenal delusional for thinking they can finish 4th is beyond me. Also i see you seemed to ignore my point about how Arsenal had title winning form when they had their full squad to choose from.

Arsenal 8/13
    Spurs 7/4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Your forgetting the fact that Bale will probably go who won half their points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Team Manchester United

Final Position 3rd

Team top Scorer RVP

Team Player of the Year Nani

Team young player of the Year Rafael

Flop of the year Cleverly

Go make a fortune so the bookies are usually not far off the mark. The fact is Arsenal are still favourites to finish ahead of Spurs. How you can call Arsenal delusional for thinking they can finish 4th is beyond me. Also i see you seemed to ignore my point about how Arsenal had title winning form when they had their full squad to choose from.

Arsenal 8/13
    Spurs 7/4.

Liverpool are 16/1 to win the league with Coral, Spurs are 40/1 with the same bookies. Bookies odds follow where the punters money is being laid, they can be extremely skewed from reality sometimes.

As for title winning form after xmas, Liverpool had CL form for the 2nd half of last season too, does that mean I think they'll get a CL spot next season? No, it doesn't.
    Raf32 wrote:
    Your forgetting the fact that Bale will probably go who won half their points.

Bale is still there right now. If he goes (big if) and they sign Lamella, I'd still fancy Spurs all day.

Liverpool are 16/1 to win the league with Coral, Spurs are 40/1 with the same bookies. Bookies odds follow where the punters money is being laid, they can be extremely skewed from reality sometimes.

As for title winning form after xmas, Liverpool had CL form for the 2nd half of last season too, does that mean I think they'll get a CL spot next season? No, it doesn't.

Bale is still there right now. If he goes (big if) and they sign Lamella, I'd still fancy Spurs all day.

You seem to know the finishing positions. Why don't you put your money where you mouth is and get back to us.

If predicting football was as easy as you make out a lot of us would be millionaires!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Arsenal pipped them (fortuitously imo)

Arsenal were lucky?

seriously?

even spurs fans concede that we went and worked our nuts off for it last year. Spurs didn't even choke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

If Liverpool finish 6th they'll have done very well. Lots of good teams down there. They finished 7th last year and 8th the year before sure.

:pac:

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You seem to know the finishing positions. Why don't you put your money where you mouth is and get back to us.

If predicting football was as easy as you make out a lot of us would be millionaires!

Not sure what you mean really? I don't know anything about finishing positions, no more than any of the rest of us do. I'm not Mystic Meg, we're all simply predicting here.

My point is that it's a bit rich saying that Liverpool fans are delusional in one breath, and then saying that Arsenal will finish ahead of Spurs in another. Spurs are clearly a much stronger squad at this moment in time.

You seem to fail to gasp gambling on markets such as football i see. You will see mug prices for long shots and transfers because they are low risk and rarely happen. These are misleading and i they prove nothing.

In the more serious markets is where the bookies price things up according to facts. The odds on offer are a reflection of the fact Arsenal are favorites to finish 4th. Spurs could very well upset them. But for you to say Arsenal fans are delusional for thinking they will finish 4th is rather strange.

May i ask who you support and your predictions.

You seem to fail to gasp gambling on markets such as football i see. You will see mug prices for long shots and transfers because they are low risk and rarely happen. These are misleading and i they prove nothing.

In the more serious markets is where the bookies price things up according to facts. The odds on offer are a reflection of the fact Arsenal are favorites to finish 4th. Spurs could very well upset them. But for you to say Arsenal fans are delusional for thinking they will finish 4th is rather strange.

May i ask who you support and your predictions.

Not too sure what point your making regarding the bookies. The fact that Liverpool are shorter odds than Spurs with pretty much every bookie in the UK shows that they're using more than just 'the probable result' as criteria for setting their odds. I don't buy this 'more serious' markets stuff at all. The outright winner market is just as serious as the 4th place one. Bookies aren't charities.

I support Liverpool, and I believe they'll finish 6th. I think Spurs might even break into the top 3 this year, they're really building a fine squad. I'm not anti-Arsenal at all, in fact they're the only team that finished above Liverpool last year that I like to see doing well. But I just don't see them getting CL again next year, as things stand.

Not too sure what point your making regarding the bookies. The fact that Liverpool are shorter odds than Spurs with pretty much every bookie in the UK shows that they're using more than just 'the probable result' as criteria for setting their odds. I don't buy this 'more serious' markets stuff at all. The outright winner market is just as serious as the 4th place one. Bookies aren't charities.

I support Liverpool, and I believe they'll finish 6th. I think Spurs might even break into the top 3 this year, they're really building a fine squad. I'm not anti-Arsenal at all, in fact they're the only team that finished above Liverpool last year that I like to see doing well. But I just don't see them getting CL again next year, as things stand.

I can't explain the bookies markets any simpler for you.

Spurs or Liverpool are not going to win the league. Some fans for some reason still back Liverpool so they will shorten in the bookies. The bookies don't care about these bets at all. It's the same as transfers a €50 bet on Messi to United would see them half his odds and it has the same chance as Liverpool winning the league.

Nobody said you were anti Arsenal you called fans delusional for thinking they will finish top 4. Great we all have opinions i love watching Spurs and they could finish ahead of Arsenal. The fact remains Arsenal are favourites to finish 4th next season. Calling fans delusional for what is at best a toss of a coin outcome is rather strange.

• Advertisement

I can't explain the bookies markets any simpler for you.

Spurs or Liverpool are not going to win the league. Some fans for some reason still back Liverpool so they will shorten in the bookies. The bookies don't care about these bets at all. It's the same as transfers a €50 bet on Messi to United would see them half his odds and it has the same chance as Liverpool winning the league.

Nobody said you were anti Arsenal you called fans delusional for thinking they will finish top 4. Great we all have opinions i love watching Spurs and they could finish ahead of Arsenal. The fact remains Arsenal are favourites to finish 4th next season. Calling fans delusional for what is at best a toss of a coin outcome is rather strange.

Eh, that's my point, bookies manipulate odds based on where the money is going. So I guess your point is that Liverpool's odds of winning the league have been manipulated, but Arsenals odds of finishing above Spurs haven't. Do you have any proof of that, or is it just that it suits your argument to believe that so?

Hmmm...so some Liverpool fans are delusional for believing the might snatch 5th, but not Arsenal fans for thinking they'll finish 4th. Both are unlikely imo. I think Spurs will even have a crack at the top 3 this year.

Eh, that's my point, bookies manipulate odds based on where the money is going. So I guess your point is that Liverpool's odds of winning the league have been manipulated, but Arsenals odds of finishing above Spurs haven't. Do you have any proof of that, or is it just that it suits your argument to believe that so?

Hmmm...so some Liverpool fans are delusional for believing the might snatch 5th, but not Arsenal fans for thinking they'll finish 4th. Both are unlikely imo. I think Spurs will even have a crack at the top 3 this year.

Try read again about how markets are manipulated and you might see it.

It can't be more simple i can't break it down any more.

It takes very little money for things that have no hope of happening e.g. Liverpool winning the league.

It takes a large amount of money to move markets that are short such as betting for the top 4. Arsenal are ahead of Spurs because they are fancied to finish above them.

Also i really can't understand what you find you hard to grasp. Spurs and Arsenal have little between them it could go either way. They will finish 4th and 5th.

It is delusion for Liverpool fans to think they can finish 5th because Arsenal and Spurs are on a different level to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Team name: Sunderland

Final league position: In or around 13th.

Team top scorer: Steven Fletcher

Team player of the year: Emanuele Giaccherini

Young player of the year (under 21): El-Hadji Ba

Flop of the year: Seb Larsson

It is delusion for Liverpool fans to think they can finish 5th because Arsenal and Spurs are on a different level to them.

Spurs are on a different planet to us at the moment. Arsenal, better than us, but no great shakes at all. BBC are saying that Capoue will sign for Spurs tomorrow, and the Lamela link is pretty strong.

Spurs finished 1 point behind Arsenal last year, they're adding Capoue, Chadli, Soldado, Paulinho and possibly Lamela this summer. They haven't just closed the gap (if there even was one), they're leaving Arsenal in their dust.

The thing about delusion is that you never realise when you're suffering from it yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Paully D wrote: »
    Team player of the year: Emanuele Giaccherini
    Have you seen him play?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Team name: Milan

Final league position: 2nd

Team top scorer: Mario Balotelli

Team player of the year: Stephan El Shaarawy

Young player of the year (under 21): Bryan Cristante/Mattia De Sciglio/Andrea Petagna/M'Baye Niang. Too hard to pick, I expect them all to have a good year and a decent amount of game time.

Flop of the year: Robinho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Team name: Manchester United

Team top scorer: Robin van Persie

Team player of the year: Shinji Kagawa

Young player of the year (under 21): Adnan Januzaj

Flop of the year: Tom Cleverley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Seaneh wrote: »
    Team name: Milan

Team top scorer: Mario Balotelli

Team player of the year: Stephan El Shaarawy

Young player of the year (under 21): Bryan Cristante/Mattia De Sciglio/Andrea Petagna/M'Baye Niang. Too hard to pick, I expect them all to have a good year and a decent amount of game time.

Flop of the year: Robinho

Just like mine except I went all in on Cristante and was in two minds about who would do worse Robinho or Prince.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Team name: Liverpool

Final league position: 6th

Team top scorer: Daniel Sturridge

Team player of the year: Philippe Coutinho

Young player of the year (under 21): Jordon Ibe

Flop of the year: Martin Skrtel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Spurs are on a different planet to us at the moment. Arsenal, better than us, but no great shakes at all. BBC are saying that Capoue will sign for Spurs tomorrow, and the Lamela link is pretty strong.

Spurs finished 1 point behind Arsenal last year, they're adding Capoue, Chadli, Soldado, Paulinho and possibly Lamela this summer. They haven't just closed the gap (if there even was one), they're leaving Arsenal in their dust.

The thing about delusion is that you never realise when you're suffering from it yourself.

For Spurs to actually leave Arsenal in the dust they'd need to get more points than them by the end of the season, you can't say they've left a team they haven't finished ahead of in over a decade in the dust because of a few signings, that's utter nonsense.

AdamD wrote: »
    For Spurs to actually leave Arsenal in the dust they'd need to get more points than them by the end of the season, you can't say they've left a team they haven't finished ahead of in over a decade in the dust because of a few signings, that's utter nonsense.

We're not talking about the last decade, we're talking about the coming season.

The Spurs team that finished a single point behind 4th last year have strengthened massively. Arsenal have stood still.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

The Spurs team that finished a single point behind 4th last year have strengthened massively. Arsenal have stood still.

Stop ruining the thread.
    There are enough arguments between Arsenal and Liverpool fans on other threads.
    You dont always need to have the last word.

ronjo wrote: »
    Stop ruining the thread.
    There are enough arguments between Arsenal and Liverpool fans on other threads.
    You dont always need to have the last word.

I don't see how I'm the one ruining it. I just found an amusing irony in a post attacking a Liverpool fan for being delusional, and stood up for that poster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Johner wrote: »

Team player of the year: Mata

Young player of the year (under 21): Lukaku ;) (Madness that he is still only 20)

Flop of the year: Mikel

At the halfway point I'd now say we will finish 2nd.

Got the Lukaku bit right. Pity it's for a different club. :pac:

Mata is being frozen out and Mikel is having a decent season. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

shano_88 wrote: »
    Team name: Arsenal

Final league position: 5th Delighted that It looks like im gonna be wrong here. Looking good for a top 3 finish

Team top scorer: Giroud

Team player of the year: Wilshere Has been in and out of the team. Also been incosistent. He will come good though imo

Young player of the year (under 21): Chamberlain injured, wont see the best of him till next season now

Flop of the year: Podolski injured for most of the season but has still contributed 3 goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not sure what you mean really? I don't know anything about finishing positions, no more than any of the rest of us do. I'm not Mystic Meg, we're all simply predicting here.

My point is that it's a bit rich saying that Liverpool fans are delusional in one breath, and then saying that Arsenal will finish ahead of Spurs in another. Spurs are clearly a much stronger squad at this moment in time.

oops

Advertisement