Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What hardware for a small home/office server build

• 13-08-2013 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Hi All, I've been asked by a friend to create a backup server for her extended home office (5 PC's, various incarnations of windows and a mac). I've suggested a NAS, but she seems to have fixated on a more "traditional server" for "expandability"

I use Linux on my home machine & htpc, so I'd be just within my comfort zone setting up a Debian server and Bacula or similar and a 2 drive RAID 1 array. But I'm not sure of the hardware options or necessary specs. I've seen everything from using an old P2 up to enterprise solutions on my googling.

So I'd appreciate a couple of pointers in the right direction, such a processor spec, memory requirements, should I include multiple network cards? Or is there a barebones / prebuilt machine I could check out.
    Thanks,

PS I'm still going to try to push something like Synology DS412

Advertisement