Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horizon TV remote control app for iOS

• 13-08-2013 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭

This relates to the Horizon digital box, not the Horizon TV service on the web.

The app appears to have been launched for Irish customers yesterday, the iTunes app store version history says that V2.1 was launched on Aug 12th and includes support for Irish customers.

The app give you Horizon remote control functionality on your iPhone/iPad/iTouch provided that you have a Horizon box and a broadband subscription and the Apple device is connected to the wi-fi network.

When you start the app you have to login using your UPC userid & password, initial screens are in landscape mode only regardless of how you are holding your device. It then does some setting up and will inform you that if you hold the device in portrait node it will give you the remote control functionality so you can control the Horizon box from your Apple device. The remote control screen shows you the basic remote functions and works as intended.

However when in landscape mode the app insists on playing a TV channel and according to the UPC support people, there is no way to switch this off. In my case this means that if I tilt the device slightly or lay it flat on the coffee table, I start to hear a TV channel which I don't want and it's obviously chewing up my battery.

Worse, if I then disconnect the Apple device from the wi-fi network without doing a clean close of the app, I then can't use the regular remote to change channels by direct channel number entry and the only fix for this is to flip the on/off switch at the back of the box which won't make you very popular if there's others in the house using the network.

Install at your own risk, don't say you weren't warned....

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/horizon-tv-remote/id532085851?mt=8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yeah, it's annoying that you can't turn off the streaming on the iPhone/iPad. It's a handy feature to have, but also a bit pointless if all you want to do is control the Horizon.

Also, they mention on the App Store, you can't connect to the Horizon box if the old Horizon app is running in the background. Make sure you kill that and the Remote app should sync fine.

It works great on my iPad, but on the iPhone it keeps quitting after showing the intro animation, will try restarting the iPhone and trying again.

Advertisement