Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yogurt not as labelled-wrong flavour

Options
  • 13-08-2013 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

I normally buy a certain brand of soya yogurt in plain variety which contains~ 2g carbohydrates per 100g. I am carbohydrate sensitive and have to avoid them.

I also buy the vanilla variety of this product for other family members which contains~11g carbohydrates per 100g.

Today I opened a new pot of the plain variety, poured it into a bowl and began eating, then to my horror I realised that I was in fact eating the vanilla one. I assumed I had opened a vanilla pot but no, it is labelled as plain. Now this annoyed me since I can't eat it, but also if it was my first time buying this I would have carried on eating unaware. This would end up with me feeling very sick etc. This would also be bad for a diabetic since they would be eating a lot more carbohydrate than they imagined.

There is no point in bringing it back to tesco, although I know they would replace it, but that would be the end of it, there could be lots more incorrectly labelled. It really annoys me due to the fact that it could have made me so sick-(not dangerously) but still.

What should I do? I hav emailed the company but heard nothing yet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Contact the Food safety authority to get a recall but I can't see much else being done, mistakes happen and it's the response that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I always think mistakes in the "health food" sector is far more serious than say mistakes for general food population because intolerances for people drive them to these sections. I would contact the manufacturer to be honest, its a mistake that should never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 69,083 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Manufacturer first and see their response

IF the product is specifically marketed as being particularly low carbohydrate I'd go to the FSAI. If its not they're not likely to take more than a passing interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭rock22

[QUOTE=noah45;85979396 I am carbohydrate sensitive and have to avoid them.

[/QUOTE]

Can you explain how you could possibly be carbohydrate sensitive???

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

It is to do with my body producing way too much insuline everytime I eat carbs, the insulin then causes my glucose levels to drop suddenly to a very low level, causing me to need some glucose tablets or food straight away. The cycle continues. Took years upon years to get to the bottom of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Del2005 wrote: »
    Contact the Food safety authority to get a recall but I can't see much else being done, mistakes happen and it's the response that counts.

Unless its identified as a widespread problem this won't happen, simple as.

If a product recall was done because of one or two incorrect items it wouldn't be long before food company's would go out of business

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Cabaal wrote: »
    Unless its identified as a widespread problem this won't happen, simple as.

If a product recall was done because of one or two incorrect items it wouldn't be long before food company's would go out of business

That isnt necessarily true. If it is considered to be a food safety issue, regardless of the number of products affected, a recall shoud be initiated. Of course, if only a tiny number of cases are found, the recall could be limited to the specific affected batch of the product thus reducing the impact on the producer.

The problem (for the OP) is that it may not be (legally) considered to be a food safety issue notwithstanding the potential affect on the OP's health issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Is it possible that the company has just reformulated the recipe ? And the nutritional values are correct. Either way keep the sample in the freezer and get it contact with HSE lab to run an analysis on it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Thank god I don't to worry about my diet in this way :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Well we don't know if its only one or two containers that are incorrect, it could be an entire batch. No its not a new formulation, bought two lots this morning and the one I got earlier is in fact the vanilla version in a simply plain container. I know its not a big deal, but I would expect a product to be what it is labelled as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

rock22 wrote: »
    Can you explain how you could possibly be carbohydrate sensitive???

@rock22 - that is not relevant to this discussion. We don't want to go off-topic here. You can take that discussion to the Health or Diet forums.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

In my experience the FASI will investigate an issue like this, labeling seems to be high on their agenda. I have seen them take an incorrect nutrition panel on a meat product very seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Mistakes happen, in the great scheme of things it's not a big deal. Bring it to the attention of the company, im sure they will be happy to be alerted to any mistakes made during the packing process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Mistakes happen, in the great scheme of things it's not a big deal.

As long as its not you that being made unwell due to miss labelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

RustyNut wrote: »
    As long as its not you that being made unwell due to miss labelling.

So what exactly do you think should happen to the company involved? What level of punishment would you seek??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

So what exactly do you think should happen to the company involved? What level of punishment would you seek??

I don't think punishment would necessarily be the best way forward.

However miss labelling of food products is a serious issue as a lot of people need to know exactly what they are eating for various reasons.

The least I would expect would be a compressive investigation by the company involved to find out exactly what caused the mislabeling and procedures put in place to prevent the same thing happening again.

Advertisement