Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations or a new Jacket for winter

• 13-08-2013 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

Right so its coming to the end of the summer and I'm in need of a new jacket for the winter and since I've to get a new bike anyway I might as well get a new jacket. (Compound the expenses!!!)

My current textile jacket was borderline for my 10-15 minute commute last winter but my commute has increased to between 25-40 minutes depending on traffic.

I ride every day regardless of weather and last year I was still going to work in -7 degrees so I need to be fully water proof and not have hypothermia when I get to work!!

I've read plenty of stuff online but I'm looking for someone's personal experiences. Something with a bit of style wouldn't go awry either!

What's the worst weather you have been in with your jacket and how did it hold up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Right so its coming to the end of the summer and I'm in need of a new jacket for the winter and since I've to get a new bike anyway I might as well get a new jacket. (Compound the expenses!!!)

My current textile jacket was borderline for my 10-15 minute commute last winter but my commute has increased to between 25-40 minutes depending on traffic.

I ride every day regardless of weather and last year I was still going to work in -7 degrees so I need to be fully water proof and not have hypothermia when I get to work!!

I've read plenty of stuff online but I'm looking for someone's personal experiences. Something with a bit of style wouldn't go awry either!

What's the worst weather you have been in with your jacket and how did it hold up?
    I have a Hein Gericke textile jacket for the last few years and it is a god send. It's a goretex one and is completely waterproof. It has an inner liner and a storm collar. All this keeps me warm and dry. I've used it in sub zero weather, pissing rain and even the snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

What's the budget op?

I'd recommend goretex from either dainese or rukka. Pricey, but worth it when it's cold and/or wet. Have my goretex dainese jacket 6 years and it's just started to leak now (but perfect otherwise), riding in it almost every day of the year of those 6 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I have not really set myself a budget. If I like the jacket enough I'll buy it.

I plan on calling into hein gericke over the weekend to see if they have anything I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Seanbass

I basically have the old version of this,

fantastic jacket, I was wearing just a t-shirt in the depths of winter, nice detachable neck guard too. its gore tex, couldn't fault it in the rain, plus its affordable.

http://www.rst-moto.com/rst-paragon-iii-textile-jacket

Seanbass wrote: »

fantastic jacket, I was wearing just a t-shirt in the depths of winter, nice detachable neck guard too. its gore tex, couldn't fault it in the rain, plus its affordable.

Thanks. Looks good too. I'll check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I have that very jacket...cant fault it warm and dry...only think for me is that neck guard had to go....no way in hell could i do a lifesaver in it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I'd recommend Hein Gericke as well. I've had one 2.5 years now and it's still going strong (even after a off last year).

What ever you go for make sure it's Gore-Tex.

Also a plus are
    Detachable thermal lining
    Detachable Storm Collar
    Double cuffed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have that very jacket...cant fault it warm and dry...only think for me is that neck guard had to go....no way in hell could i do a lifesaver in it :D

Same suit as me....they are IMHO the best value jacket around. And yes the neck guard can be a tad tight! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

I use Hein Gericke stuff too. I just realised I bought my textile jacket and trousers over 10 years ago. It's a goretex kit. I use my bike most days for my commute to work (35km each way) and I have never had a leak from either the jacket or trousers in all this time. Great quality kit, and when I need to buy a new one, it will most likely be Hein Gerick again.
    I have a set of their race leathers too, and they are great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I picked up the Weise "laguna" jacket last year because I wanted something a bit more sporty, I was sick of the long winter jacket I had. This ticked all the boxes after reading reviews etc and I have been so impressed with it. I wore it through out winter (excluding December & January) with just a tshirt underneath. I only used the bike for commuting in winter so was riding at 06:30 when it was very cold and the jacket was plenty warm. It's actually very flexible, with the liner out and the zips open its a great summer jacket too; I've only worn my leather jacket once this year. I did 80+ clicks on the m50 & n7 yesterday which is probably one of the wettest days I've ridden in this year and it kept me bone dry. I wish the rest of my gear was as good as this.

I'm sure there are better jackets out there but this came with a good price tag. It seems to have dropped in price since I got it too... Gutted! Here's a shop link with reviews but iirc I got it cheaper on eBay.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/56229

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

zubair wrote: »
    I picked up the Weise "laguna" jacket last year because I wanted something a bit more sporty, I was sick of the long winter jacket I had. This ticked all the boxes after reading reviews etc and I have been so impressed with it. I wore it through out winter (excluding December & January) with just a tshirt underneath. I only used the bike for commuting in winter so was riding at 06:30 when it was very cold and the jacket was plenty warm. It's actually very flexible, with the liner out and the zips open its a great summer jacket too; I've only worn my leather jacket once this year. I did 80+ clicks on the m50 & n7 yesterday which is probably one of the wettest days I've ridden in this year and it kept me bone dry. I wish the rest of my gear was as good as this.

I'm sure there are better jackets out there but this came with a good price tag. It seems to have dropped in price since I got it too... Gutted! Here's a shop link with reviews but iirc I got it cheaper on eBay.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/56229

What is the fitting like?
    Hotter would it be with a back protector underneath?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

chrismon wrote: »
    What is the fitting like?
    Hotter would it be with a back protector underneath?

Fitting is fine, I went for a medium which is actually a size larger than I would normally wear, I think a small would have been a bit snug on the chest. With the liner out it obviously has a bit more room but you can adjust the fit to allow for that.

There's a back protector insert with it which I use and I never felt the need to take it out. I have no experience with any armour other than the inserts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

zubair wrote: »
    Fitting is fine, I went for a medium which is actually a size larger than I would normally wear, I think a small would have been a bit snug on the chest. With the liner out it obviously has a bit more room but you can adjust the fit to allow for that.

There's a back protector insert with it which I use and I never felt the need to take it out. I have no experience with any armour other than the inserts.

Nice one.
    Will look into one of them.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Same suit as me....they are IMHO the best value jacket around. And yes the neck guard can be a tad tight! :D

I had this jacket too, out of the numerous textile jackets I've had this was the best and best value for money!! Had to have it cut off after a bad accident a year ago, other than that I'd still have it. When I get a few quid, I'll be getting another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Fair play to you doing it in -7
    I just can't hack that anymore in the ou hhands without heated grips, regardless of what gloves I wear.
    Presume u had heated grips, hand guards?

terrydel wrote: »
    Fair play to you doing it in -7
    I just can't hack that anymore in the ou hhands without heated grips, regardless of what gloves I wear.
    Presume u had heated grips, hand guards?

No heated grips or hand guards. But it was only 10-15 minutes.

We will see how I hold up this year. Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I have this: Alpinestars Verona Waterproof Jacket

The main reason I got it was that (unlike my previous jacket) the waterproof liner is fixed, so even when the inside liner is removed for warmer days it's still waterproof.

And other than that, I really like its subtlety, no big logos or designs. It looks just like a normal jacket.

I haven't had it in anything like -7 yet but I'd have faith that it could handle it. I got it less than a year ago so didn't have it for the whole winter but on cold days with a base layer, a decent jumper and the inside liner I didn't feel a thing. Well, my fingers did but that's another matter.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I was thinking of getting the RST Slice textiles. I have the leathers and I love them

I got this in the post today.
    I ordered an XL but it feels a little big so gona return it for the L.

But I do like the jacket. I feel like I could ride through the artic in it. Haha.

And they sent it to me in a box big enough to send back a dead body.

• Advertisement
Advertisement