Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young family moving to Limerick

• 13-08-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,
    my family is moving to Limerick. I've looked at all the threads but the relevant ones are around 2 years old. I've never been to Limerick or anywhere close to Limerick so really looking for some help on this.
    I would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. I'd be looking for a house in a nice neighbourhood where kids can play with other children. maybe a playschool close by, but wouldn't mind driving.
    Also somewhere "close" to Vistakon, not more than an hour drive.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I imagine the Annacotty area would suit you then, close to work and I'd say ticks all your box's, that's where I'd start looking anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Congrats on moving to Limerick.
    There are plenty of nice neighbourhoods in the vicinity of Vistakon.
    It really would boil down to your budget? your preferred house type?
    Your preffered facilities?
    There are many estates out that direction from Murroe, Castleconnel, Annacotty iall within @15mins aswell as the city suburbs themselves.
    Rhebouge, Castletroy view, Bloodmill Rd and onto the more student occupied areas closer to the University.
    Make a list prioritising what you need from a house, what facilities you would like easily accessible and what budget you have.
    You really are spoilt for choice if you are willing to commute an hr!
    You could live as far away as Portlaoise or Mallow!
    You need to narrow your search

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭LMK

Clarina is a nice area also its to the west of the city approx 20-25mins form Vistakon, there is a small housing estate in the village

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

You should also consider that the M20/M7 motorways put a lot of extra areas within a 20 min drive from Vistakon. Raheen/Dooradoyle for more urban located areas or if you prefer countryside places like Patrickswell/Adare.

Limerick is small enough, I work only a few hundred meters from Vistakon, left work at 4.45 this evening and was home in Corbally before American Pie (one song, not the whole album) finished on my ipod, 7.5km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 lilac_lilac

Thanks a mill folks.
    The only facilities I would look for would be really - child friendly areas. House with a garden, 3 bed ideally. And I'd like to be home sooner than later, in time for dinner and to have some family time, so closer to Vistakon.
    Rents in Dublin are far more expensive, we are paying 850 p.m. now so anywhere in that range would suit.

Thanks again

Thanks a mill folks.
    The only facilities I would look for would be really - child friendly areas. House with a garden, 3 bed ideally. And I'd like to be home sooner than later, in time for dinner and to have some family time, so closer to Vistakon.
    Rents in Dublin are far more expensive, we are paying 850 p.m. now so anywhere in that range would suit.

Thanks again

You have a nice choice of places out in that side of the city. Castletroy, Monaleen, Golf Links Rd etc. €850 p.m will get you a lot of house in a nice area close to everything you need. Heck, €700 would even get you what you're looking for. As a previous poster mentioned, Vistakon is a stones throw away from the M7 so you could broaden your options to the other side of the city (Raheen, Dooradoyle etc) and still be only a 10-15 min drive to work. Best of luck with the move anyway and welcome to Limerick! We're all sound here! :D

You have a nice choice of places out in that side of the city. Castletroy, Monaleen, Golf Links Rd etc. €850 p.m will get you a lot of house in a nice area close to everything you need. Heck, €700 would even get you what you're looking for. As a previous poster mentioned, Vistakon is a stones throw away from the M7 so you could broaden your options to the other side of the city (Raheen, Dooradoyle etc) and still be only a 10-15 min drive to work. Best of luck with the move anyway and welcome to Limerick! We're all sound here! :D

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.
    Good to know that there's still people like that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd recommend Annacotty too, it is 5 mins from Vistakon, either there or the likes of Newtown in Castletroy which is close by too. Both are not far from Vistakon and also close to Castletroy College and park across the road. The likes of SuperQuinn/Lidl and cinema are also 5/10 min drive from both places.

Further in then you have UL and surrounding housing estates/apartments but with a young family I would tend to avoid these areas as they have a large student population in these areas so it may get a bit messy at times especially during rag week imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Monaleen. Theres a superb playground and park directly across from Castletroy College Secondary school. Lovely houses around there not a student area at all. Great GAA club and close to a shopping centre, lidl, cinema etc. Choice of Gaelscoil or National school closeby.

When I had small children I always liked to be in an area with footpaths so I could go walking with the buggy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Op have you thought about ballina/kilaloe areas? It's a 10-15 minute spin out the motorway from vistakon.

Nice villages on lough derg, my parents are living out there and love it, great for kids and close enough to town.

If not there's a whole heap of areas directly around vistakon that have already been mentioned. The great thing about Limerick is we're a small city so it's easy to get around, you don't need to limit yourself to one side of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

Monaleen is the nicest area in Limerick, if you can rent there I wouldn't look anywhere else

Thank you folks for all the posts, at least I know now where to look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Best of luck in your search, all of the advice above is very sound.

One of the best things about Limerick is rents are far more reasonable than the likes of Dublin or Cork, far more bang for your buck. You could knock 150e-250e off the 850e you were paying in Dublin and get a smashing house.

(Just tell the missis it's more expensive than it is and you've some play money for yourself :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

I'd stick with Annacotty/Monaleen. Very safe area and the primary/secondary schools are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Just a final plug for Dooradoyle area. As already pointed out it is only 10-15 minutes from Vistakon. It is an area that has everything,the renowned Crescent shopping centre, excellent bus routes, schools, churches, good pubs,cycle lanes, excellent walks. It is a town within a town!

Best of luck

Widescreen wrote: »
    Just a final plug for Dooradoyle area. As already pointed out it is only 10-15 minutes from Vistakon. It is an area that has everything,the renowned Crescent shopping centre, excellent bus routes, schools, churches, good pubs,cycle lanes, excellent walks. It is a town within a town!

Best of luck

But Monaleen has the Castletroy College Secondary school to which the op will have right of entry if his kids live in the local area AND ALSO attend a local school.

Living in Raheen or Dooradoyle is a disaster in terms of secondary schools choices as there is no right of entry to anywhere. Kids here mostly go to Pallaskenry or Croom schools.

OP the secondary school choices here are organised by a CAO style application system and you have no say in what you get unless you have a right of entry lined up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Probably not relevant, but Is Internet important to you?

If so, then you might want to consider areas in the city so you can avail of UPC, etc. There are plenty of nice areas in Limerick city with good schools, Creches, etc. With traffic, you could be in most places around Limerick City or the surrounding villages in 30 mins max. With the motorway, just around the corner from Vistakon, you have loads of choices. Best of luck with the move!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

juneg wrote: »
    But Monaleen has the Castletroy College Secondary school to which the op will have right of entry if his kids live in the local area AND ALSO attend a local school.

Living in Raheen or Dooradoyle is a disaster in terms of secondary schools choices as there is no right of entry to anywhere. Kids here mostly go to Pallaskenry or Croom schools.

OP the secondary school choices here are organised by a CAO style application system and you have no say in what you get unless you have a right of entry lined up.

Kids mostly go to Croom or Pallaskenry?? Haha thats hilarious! The city schools and also the comprehensive is in Dooradoyle!

• Advertisement

Widescreen wrote: »
    the renowned Crescent shopping centre,

You're getting desperate there :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Wouldn't be a fan of Dooradoyle myself, Churchill meadows in Raheen is nice, SCR and NCR areas are quiet along with the previously mentioned places monaleen and annacotty

Mc Love wrote: »
    Kids mostly go to Croom or Pallaskenry?? Haha thats hilarious! The city schools and also the comprehensive is in Dooradoyle!

Yes it is a fact that there are more children going out the country on buses now to secondary schools than there are going to the city schools.

The comprehensive is sewn up tight unless you have a right of entry with an older sibling already there. It cannot and does not meet the needs of this massive area

tony1980 wrote: »
    Probably not relevant, but Is Internet important to you?

If so, then you might want to consider areas in the city so you can avail of UPC, etc. There are plenty of nice areas in Limerick city with good schools, Creches, etc. With traffic, you could be in most places around Limerick City or the surrounding villages in 30 mins max. With the motorway, just around the corner from Vistakon, you have loads of choices. Best of luck with the move!

It is, thanks for that. is there a big difference within areas on internet providers? we have eircom at the moment.

Thanks for the all the tips folks.
    The most important thing at the moment would be finding preschool; anyone know of any good ones, since everything is new I'd like a smaller one where kids would get some attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

I have 2 kids(age 1and 14) and live in Monaleen(about 1 mile from Vistakon) and really recommend it. Nice park, a few schools, cinema, shops, great Internet speed with UPC and overall very family friendly. If you look on Daft in Monaleen and Annacotty you should see loads of options

Loads of pre-school options. my son is in creche in Karibu(about half a mile from vistakon) and its great. they have a pre-school but we're not at that stage yet so cant comment on it.

Feel free to Pm if you have any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

North Circular Road has lots of play areas nearby for kids, including the duck marsh and the walking/jogging trails, and is easy in & out for commuting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Buckeye wrote: »
    North Circular Road has lots of play areas nearby for kids, including the duck marsh and the walking/jogging trails, and is easy in & out for commuting.

It's really the wrong side of town for the OP though.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

shoppergal wrote: »
    I have 2 kids(age 1and 14) and live in Monaleen(about 1 mile from Vistakon) and really recommend it. Nice park, a few schools, cinema, shops, great Internet speed with UPC and overall very family friendly. If you look on Daft in Monaleen and Annacotty you should see loads of options

Loads of pre-school options. my son is in creche in Karibu(about half a mile from vistakon) and its great. they have a pre-school but we're not at that stage yet so cant comment on it.

Feel free to Pm if you have any questions.

UPC is only available in a hand full of estates in the Monaleen/Castletroy area but eircom are up and running on fiber there now as well. How good it is i don't know. Great area to live in. It's idea for a safe family life and its near your work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

h3000 wrote: »
    It's really the wrong side of town for the OP though.

OP wants less than an hour commute. You could live in south Co. Galway, Nenagh or North Cork and be at Vistakon in less than an hour! The only problem with NCR is that for the budget you wouldn't get much house.

Are a lot of those areas not ageing now? I'd have absolutely no idea where young families would generally live in the city now, but I'd assume Monaleen/Dooradoyle

Advertisement