Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual citizenship

Options
  • 13-08-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Ok so basically I have dual citizenship; Irish and US.

I'm travelling to the US in September. Do I need anything other than my US passport to get in? Specifically, do I need the ESTA?

I've heard a few different theories on this from different people. I would have thought that, as a citizen, all I need is the passport to get in?

Anyone care to enlighten me? Preferably someone who has experience! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yep, all you need is your US passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

silja wrote: »
    Yep, all you need is your US passport.

Sweet, that saves a minor inconvenience! :D

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭eire4

I am an Irish citizen but also have US citizenship. All you need for sure is your US passport to re enter the US. I recently travelled to Austria and simply used my US Passport when coming back into the US no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You have no choice in the matter, the US authorities insist that if you have a US passport, you may not enter the US using any other passport so ESTA, visas etc. do not arise, you must use the US passport and present yourself to a CBP agent as a US citizen.

Advertisement