Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed Wireless in Kerry (Iveragh Broadband)

Options
  • 13-08-2013 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi All

I was searching though the forums looking at the wireless providers that are in the Kerry area and I noticed that there were no posts or anything on Iveragh Broadband. I just switched to them recently and I find them great so I decided I would make a post recommending them.

I get a good stable speed and great ping times (~20ms) so it is great for gaming etc. If you are looking for Fixed Wireless in Kerry definitely consider them. P.S. They also offer a phone service but I don't have that so I cant comment on its quality, however I have no issues with VOIP using other online services so I cant see why it wouldn't be good. If you want to ask me anything just reply here or drop me a pm.

Check out their plans/coverage on the website.
    Iveragh Broadband Website: http://www.iveraghbroadband.com/

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Oh god you dont happen to work for them do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmannix10

No lol. Just that I was searching here myself when looking for a provider and thought that at least it's another provider for people to check out. The more competition the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

How much of the actual Upload speed advertised do you get?? Cann you provide a speedtest...

I've had awful trouble with the big providers so I'm looking around.. How long we're you waiting for install?? Is the monthly bandwidth reasonable? And what's the minimum contract length??

Sorry about all the questions..

Thanks

No problem. What provider are you with now / Where are you located?

I Get pretty much full upload.

2898910876.png

I believe I was only waiting a few days for install.

Cap is advertised as unlimited but I believe the T&C state 240GB for the 10Mb package.

Contract is 12 months but I'm sure if it is not up to standard they will let you get out within the first few weeks or so. I'm not sure. Best to contact them about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Sweet speeds, id go to them in a flash but I doubt they can cover where I live. I have rural broadband in Mid Kerry and the speeds are woeful due to the network being over subscribed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭delboy76

Any install fees?

delboy76 wrote: »
    Any install fees?

Nope no fee for install.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

siblers wrote: »
    Sweet speeds, id go to them in a flash but I doubt they can cover where I live. I have rural broadband in Mid Kerry and the speeds are woeful due to the network being over subscribed.
    Which provider/where? I presume your connected to one of the providers on Slieve Mish/Knockmoyle

marno21 wrote: »
    Which provider/where? I presume your connected to one of the providers on Slieve Mish/Knockmoyle

www.ruralbroadband.ie.

They have a mast in Aghadoe (can't think of the hill, barleymount or something like that) which I'm connected to. Can't connect to Slieve Mish from my house unfortunatley.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

I was with eircom but currently with Vodafone but waiting on the service to be put on (been. nearly a month).. Those speeds are looking good.. I'm more interested in the upload speed as I upload to YouTube...

As with all 'Unlimited' packages there is a fair usage limit so no worries there... I'm in the Tralee area.. I might just contact these guy once I deal with Vodafone about my current contract..

Thanks for the speedtest..
    fmannix10 wrote: »
    No problem. What provider are you with now / Where are you located?

I Get pretty much full upload.

2898910876.png

I believe I was only waiting a few days for install.

Cap is advertised as unlimited but I believe the T&C state 240GB for the 10Mb package.

Contract is 12 months but I'm sure if it is not up to standard they will let you get out within the first few weeks or so. I'm not sure. Best to contact them about that.

• Advertisement

Fmannix, do you know what mast you are connected to? Also, do the speeds remain pretty stable during peak hours? 9Mb/s would seem like fiber for me

siblers wrote: »
    Fmannix, do you know what mast you are connected to? Also, do the speeds remain pretty stable during peak hours? 9Mb/s would seem like fiber for me

Not sure what area the mast is in. It is the opposite side from slieve mish where other providers are. My dish is pointing towards Carrauntoohil. I believe they have quite a few masts in Kerry so best to ask them. My speeds are very stable I get around ~8 Mb all the time, I haven't seen the full 10 Mb on a speedtest but this might be different depending on what mast you connect to, distance, signal level etc. Most importantly it is stable.

Here is another test
    2907093870.png

fmannix10 wrote: »
    Not sure what area the mast is in. It is the opposite side from slieve mish where other providers are. My dish is pointing towards Carrauntoohil. I believe they have quite a few masts in Kerry so best to ask them. My speeds are very stable I get around ~8 Mb all the time, I haven't seen the full 10 Mb on a speedtest but this might be different depending on what mast you connect to, distance, signal level etc. Most importantly it is stable.

Here is another test
    2907093870.png

Lovely thanks for the reply, if the antenna is towards Carrauntoohil then there's a fair chance I can get connected. Be delighted with those kinda speeds. They are coming out next week for a site survey but I was just curious as I know I can't connect to Slieve Mish.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Carrollman

Just moved into a house in the Miltown area. Looking for broadband and was wondering have many people tried this crowd and if so are ye happy with the service provided?

Carrollman wrote: »
    Just moved into a house in the Miltown area. Looking for broadband and was wondering have many people tried this crowd and if so are ye happy with the service provided?

They would be the best, permanet and rural broadband are hopeless. Kerry BB operate theire too but i dunno if they are taking orders. If you are near the village you can go with Eircom, Sky etc

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Carrollman

I'm band in the middle of the village next to the secondary school.. Have to reactivate the line for eircom and don't need the home phone so was looking to see what else is out there first before going down that road. Would sky broadband be good in the area?

Carrollman wrote: »
    I'm band in the middle of the village next to the secondary school.. Have to reactivate the line for eircom and don't need the home phone so was looking to see what else is out there first before going down that road. Would sky broadband be good in the area?

Would be the same as eircom but im not sure if they will activate your line, vodafone do broadband without needing a call package so will be a bit cheaper. The service will be the sane as eircom and sky as it will all cone through the same line. Speeds would be around 6mbit.Although eircom and vodafone might only support 3mbit. Iveragh do up to 10mbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

I enquired off Iveragh but unfortunatly there are goddam trees in the way. They were very efficient in getting back to me and answering questions so i can only imagine their service would be the same

Somebody mentioned permanet as being bad. i was with them at a different location and I also found them to be very good. just add that to the mix. im with vodafone landline now and am getting 5mb pretty consistently.

the only provider i would advise against when considering is Three. i was with them in an NBS area and their service was woeful. When, and i emphasise when, it worked it was pretty good but the dropouts and periods of non service were ridicilous. AVOID!

numorouno wrote: »
    I enquired off Iveragh but unfortunatly there are goddam trees in the way. They were very efficient in getting back to me and answering questions so i can only imagine their service would be the same

Somebody mentioned permanet as being bad. i was with them at a different location and I also found them to be very good. just add that to the mix. im with vodafone landline now and am getting 5mb pretty consistently.

the only provider i would advise against when considering is Three. i was with them in an NBS area and their service was woeful. When, and i emphasise when, it worked it was pretty good but the dropouts and periods of non service were ridicilous. AVOID!

Im waiting for Iveragh to get back to me but I don't think I can due to trees as well, I know a few people with Permanet in the mid Kerry area and the service has gotten really bad. I'm currently with 3, it's all I can get unfortunately.

What type of receiver on your roof? Is it a small little nano receiver or a big satellite dish? When they first came out to the house did they receive full signal from their base station?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

Should of known better than going to Farmers for Broadband. just got sorted with Eircom for 35per month for 120Gb Download. same price for broadband thats 12 times better actually make that 50 times better as its not sh**ty satelite C**p.
    I hope more people will wake up to this lot!!

I think that you as a " professional online gamer" should know that ****ty satellite crap will never work for gaming in the first place due to latency issues

Also i don't think they use satellite at all

weisses wrote: »
    I think that you as a " professional online gamer" should know that ****ty satellite crap will never work for gaming in the first place due to latency issues

Also i don't think they use satellite at all

Ya its definitely far from satellite. Perhaps he had his network cable plugged into a potato :P
    Pinging google.ie [173.194.41.184] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 173.194.41.184: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=53
    Reply from 173.194.41.184: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=53
    Reply from 173.194.41.184: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=53
    Reply from 173.194.41.184: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 173.194.41.184:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 24ms, Maximum = 28ms, Average = 26ms

They are upgrading their network in the next couple of months as well. Switching over to a fibre backhaul, might mean new speeds but if it keeps the network doing what it's meant to do, then that's good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TheRealityIs Completely Outof Order

IN REFERENCE TO POST MADE BY TheRealityIs

Everything that was said in this post is 100% wrong, yes there was a disagreement or mis-communication but i'm not writing this to make excuses for my actions. I just want to take responsibility & move on. also hoping to get the post removed.

First of all I've sent an e-mail to Iveragh Broadband to Apologies for the way in which i have behaved, I'm not expecting Forgiveness or anything like that, i now realised its the right thing to do.

2. I should of known Satellite Broadband is not the best for FPS especially on Massive Action Games with 256 ppl in one room. however it is decent enough for other FPS titles like Call of Duty, Battlefield & other games.

3. I'd like to Apologies to anyone that feels Insulted by the post

4. I would like to take this opportunity to apologies to Everyone at Iveragh & wish them all the best for the future.

Thank You

• Registered Users Posts: 14 honeytrader

I m living in Castlemaine and I m seriously contemplating switching to Iveragh broadband, does anybody close to me subscribe to them? is their service reliable?

I'm with them, I'm on the 10 mbit package and I usually get around 8-9mbit. Even during peak times, I still get around 5mbit. Be miles ahead compared to Permanet . I'd definitely recommend them anyway.

3462400353.png

@honeytrader Ya definitely try them out if you are looking for a good wireless connection. It's stable and reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Completely misunderstood this post.

Thought there was a problem with the wireless in Kerry and OP fixed it!

Completely misunderstood this post.

Thought there was a problem with the wireless in Kerry and OP fixed it!

Dam right I fixed it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 honeytrader

thanks lads.. will definitely go with them so...

Advertisement