Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bedbugs

Options
  • 13-08-2013 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    unfortunate somehow I got the bedbugs in my apartment.
    Any recommendations how to get rid of them? Is there any company around which could deal with them?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

pixbyjohn wrote: »

Hard to say really but this would be one way to sort out the swingers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

On a serious note I have heard of people unwittingly bringing these home from holidays. If you traveled recently I would advise you to check your suitcases and clothes.
    I don't know if travel insurance would cover but it maybe worth looking into if indeed you did travel recently.
    You would need to act quickly to stem infestation.
    Have you tried google for short term DIY remedies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Are you sure it's bed bugs and not just an errant mosquito and her friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Hi,
    unfortunate somehow I got the bedbugs in my apartment.
    Any recommendations how to get rid of them? Is there any company around which could deal with them?
    Thanks

Could you put up a pic of the little buggers..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Steam cleaning is a good way to be rid of bed bugs but you need to be very thorough , and if you have travelled and suspect them of coming back in suitcase or clothes make sure they are included in the cleaning .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Had same in last apartment. If you are a tenant the simplest solution is to move if possible. I would guess that infestation gives grounds to break a lease.

I would not recommend Rentokil. They inspected the infested apartment. Wouldn't give any information about poisons they were planning on using - reacted defensively when asked. Inspectors were left in spare bedroom by themselves, where there was a laptop on the floor. Later saw that the laptop was opened and the screen was broken, having obviously been stood on.

Rentokil's response was shocking. Told us we were lying. Told our landlord we were lying. Said that we were blacklisted and the apartment would not get treated while we were living there. Also hostile responses when asked what chemicals they were planning on pumping into our home. Landlord was the customer not us so **** off asking basically.

New laptop screen cost €50 and took maybe five minutes to install. Not enough to care about the monetary loss, and we had two other computers so we could work around the inconvenience. But never encountered such a pack of absolute cumstains before, representing what I had thought was a reputable company.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

I probably caught them at work, or something similar.
    Im still not 100% sure they are the bedbugs, haven't found the eggs or that little bastards till now. The only thing which makes me think about them are the "3 mark" bites on me and wife. We thought about the Rentokill as well but I had a bad experience with them so I would to avoid them if possible. Google search shows only Rento as option near...
    I was thinking about getting Karcher steam cleaner. Would that be enough?
    The main problem for me now is the tip from lots of "how to kill bedbugs" sites to seal all the holes... For that I would need to rebuild that damm Crescent :P
    Unfortunate mowing is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I probably caught them at work, or something similar.
    Im still not 100% sure they are the bedbugs, haven't found the eggs or that little bastards till now. The only thing which makes me think about them are the "3 mark" bites on me and wife. We thought about the Rentokill as well but I had a bad experience with them so I would to avoid them if possible. Google search shows only Rento as option near...
    I was thinking about getting Karcher steam cleaner. Would that be enough?
    The main problem for me now is the tip from lots of "how to kill bedbugs" sites to seal all the holes... For that I would need to rebuild that damm Crescent :P
    Unfortunate mowing is not an option.
    Steam cleaning is effective but you must be very thorough getting into all surfaces and especially folds/crevices in the mattress on all sides of it and probably all surrounding areas , you will find more info if you google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭madhatter76

Unfortunately you can't get proper stuff in ireland cause most things that really work are not allowed here or are at least unknown.
    To be honest I'm not sure if its legal in Ireland of if you can get it past customs when ordering from Germany but that stuff really does its job.

http://www.amazon.de/Milben-Bettwanzen-Nissen-umweltfreundlich-giftig/dp/B000XYYP72/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1376486325&sr=8-3&keywords=wanzen+spray

Spray against dust mites, bed bugs, lice and nits, 1 liter, environmentally friendly, non-toxic, also for fleas

Don't even think about B&Q or Woodies they haven't even heard about such.
    There is something similar in pet shops for dog beds but it stinks like hell so I would not put in on the bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Unfortunately you can't get proper stuff in ireland cause most things that really work are not allowed here or are at least unknown.
    To be honest I'm not sure if its legal in Ireland of if you can get it past customs when ordering from Germany but that stuff really does its job.

http://www.amazon.de/Milben-Bettwanzen-Nissen-umweltfreundlich-giftig/dp/B000XYYP72/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1376486325&sr=8-3&keywords=wanzen+spray

Spray against dust mites, bed bugs, lice and nits, 1 liter, environmentally friendly, non-toxic, also for fleas

Don't even think about B&Q or Woodies they haven't even heard about such.
    There is something similar in pet shops for dog beds but it stinks like hell so I would not put in on the bed.

Available from Amazon in the UK as well by the looks of it... http://www.amazon.co.uk/eliminated-Eco-Living-Friendly-environmentally/dp/B000XYYP72/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376493078&sr=8-2&keywords=eco+living+friendly

Checked as far as the check out and it's not saying it can't be delivered to Ireland. Order two and delivery is free... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

i was unfortunate enough to transport some of these evil bugs home from a skanky hotel in new york. this is what they look like and what the area around where they live will look like. i dismantled and disposed of the entire bed, fumigated the room with bug spray for a week and that did the job. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

JanneG wrote: »
    Available from Amazon in the UK as well by the looks of it... http://www.amazon.co.uk/eliminated-Eco-Living-Friendly-environmentally/dp/B000XYYP72/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376493078&sr=8-2&keywords=eco+living+friendly

Checked as far as the check out and it's not saying it can't be delivered to Ireland. Order two and delivery is free... :rolleyes:
    Ill probably order it before weekend, hope that works.
    Still cant find the "lair" of this bastards. It looks that ill have to clean up the whole apt from bottom... sigh
    eleMental wrote: »
    i was unfortunate enough to transport some of these evil bugs home from a skanky hotel in new york. this is what they look like and what the area around where they live will look like. i dismantled and disposed of the entire bed, fumigated the room with bug spray for a week and that did the job.
    Did You used any bug spray or the one for the bed guys? When I checked woodies they had only something for normal bugs.

it was just normal bug spray in a big red aerosol. i went into the room every day for a week and fumigated it / sprayed for about 2 minutes and then left the door shut. i also took down the curtains, threw out the bag from the trip, washed alll my clothes etc. that seemed to do the trick (though i didnt move back into the room for about 3 weeks to let it air). i think the main thing was binning the bed though - it was totally infested so i just brought the whole thing up to the dump (i didnt find them for about 2 months, i couldnt understand why i kept waking up with massive bites and they obviously breed / multiply fairly rapidly). they live quite burrowed into the wood so it was only on a third or fourth search that i actually saw them. they thrive in warm, dark environments so i also stopped using the radiator in the room.

Ill probably order it before weekend, hope that works.
    Still cant find the "lair" of this bastards. It looks that ill have to clean up the whole apt from bottom... sigh

check thoroughly under the bed and the sofas. or if your hotpress has wooden slats look under those. youll see these black spots (like in my photo) it will be somewhere really dark and its mostly likely under / around the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This made me search my bedroom - I found some reddish brown marks on the skirting board near the bed - do you think that could be them?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Had same in last apartment. If you are a tenant the simplest solution is to move if possible. I would guess that infestation gives grounds to break a lease.

I would not recommend Rentokil. They inspected the infested apartment. Wouldn't give any information about poisons they were planning on using - reacted defensively when asked. Inspectors were left in spare bedroom by themselves, where there was a laptop on the floor. Later saw that the laptop was opened and the screen was broken, having obviously been stood on.

Rentokil's response was shocking. Told us we were lying. Told our landlord we were lying. Said that we were blacklisted and the apartment would not get treated while we were living there. Also hostile responses when asked what chemicals they were planning on pumping into our home. Landlord was the customer not us so **** off asking basically.

New laptop screen cost €50 and took maybe five minutes to install. Not enough to care about the monetary loss, and we had two other computers so we could work around the inconvenience. But never encountered such a pack of absolute cumstains before, representing what I had thought was a reputable company.

That's awful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

ciaran67 wrote: »
    That's awful!
    Yeah it was!
    I noticed a typo in my previous post - I meant to say that we saw that the screen was broken when we opened it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cimex

Bed Bugs are notoriously difficult to get rid of. It is definitely not a DIY project. Due to legislation in the Western World, legal chemical pesticides are only effective when directly contacted by the bug and they will not effect the eggs which take up to 10 days to hatch.
    The only way to eradicate a bedbug infestation 100% is by thermal remediation. The companies who specialize in bed bug extermination use this method. The temperature of a house or apartment is rapidly increased to as high as 80 degrees celcius, this temperature is maintained for up to 4 hours in order to penetrate walls, floors, beds, mattresses, couches/sofas and furniture. The bed bug problem in the major cities in North Amarica is at epidemic proportions. See bedbugauthoritycanada for info, descriptions, and solutions.

Advertisement