Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend alternative representation for criminal case

• 13-08-2013 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

I have been represented by a solicitor through the Criminal Legal Aid Scheme for a cannabis related matter (2 incidents, 4 charges) and feel that no real effort at developing a defence through mitigating factors or examining the evidence in order to find technical flaws has been carried out.(No previous convictions)

The matter has gone on for some months, but it seems that I’ll finally be in a position to plead at my next district court date.

As any outcome, besides all charges being dropped, will have grave implications for my current and future employment I am considering getting a loan so that I can engage another solicitor or barrister for a consultation / second opinion to begin, and possibly to take over the case.

Because of the importance of the outcome I’m willing to get a loan of whatever amount is necessary to engage the best representation.

My questions are:

• · Who would be the absolute best representation in the city in such a case? Would this be a solicitor or barrister –through solicitor?

• · What are the difficulties in being on legal aid and then moving to a privately engaged counsel?

• · If I go for a one off consultation and realise that really nothing more can be done – will this matter remain private or will my current representation find out and then care even less about the outcome? ( it has seemed at bit of a closed shop at court)

I’d be grateful of any recommendations of a few specific solicitors / barristers (by pm if you prefer). Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Your first question, usually the best criminal solicitors in an area are legal aid solicitors.

Other than the having told the court that you could not afford a solicitor and now you wish to pay no real issue, but as I said the vast majority of criminal lawyers both solicitor and barrister are on the panel.

This is my own opinion, no lawyer should meet a client of another with out at least asking/informing the old solicitor first.

But as an aside this is your only criminal issue, your solicitor is dealing with hundreds of cases, that is why he should know what he is doing. If you are not happy with your solicitor, explain this to him and why you feel that way, remember you are the client.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ms1968

You can discharge your legal aid solicitor at any time. You must inform the court on your next appearance. Any disclosure has to be handed over to your new solicitor by the previous one. You can ask the judge to order this if they start mucking you about. Unfortunately, it's my opinion that the standard of some legal aid solicitors is poor. No guarantee that a privately retained one will be any better. You cannot engage a barrister. Barristers are hired by solicitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hello,

I have been represented by a solicitor through the Criminal Legal Aid Scheme for a cannabis related matter (2 incidents, 4 charges) and feel that no real effort at developing a defence through mitigating factors or examining the evidence in order to find technical flaws has been carried out.(No previous convictions)

The matter has gone on for some months, but it seems that I’ll finally be in a position to plead at my next district court date.

As any outcome, besides all charges being dropped, will have grave implications for my current and future employment I am considering getting a loan so that I can engage another solicitor or barrister for a consultation / second opinion to begin, and possibly to take over the case.

Since you are pleading (guilty I assume)you really just need a solicitor that is able to paint you in a good light to the Judge. While you may not be happy with your defence you are not saying you are innocent of the charges.

Nobody wants to be held accountable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

You need someone to recommend a good criminal law solicitor to you. I don't think that we are allowed to give recommendations, according to the forum charter.

You will have some friend or family member who can recommend a good solicitor to you. If that solicitor is a criminal law district court practitioner, fine. If he is not a district court practitioner, he is unlikely to want to take over one cannabis possession case and spend valuable time in court which he could otherwise have spent working in the office. Therefore, he should be able to give you an unbiased opinion of who he thinks will give you a good service.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Solicitor recommendations cannot be given in this forum. Please read the forum charter before posting here again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement