Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invalid post ID

Options
  • 13-08-2013 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭

On the touch site, I keep getting a message saying "Invalid post ID".
    It's happening on a very regular basis and its not restricted to any one forum/thread.
    It stays at that message until I press the button to go to my forums, and when I do, that particular forum has an asterisk which means there's a new post but the new post is actually mine.

Edit; It even happened when I posted this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Same issue here, although it's not a frequent thing. I had just created a thread about it in Feedback before being directed here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

How do you get to that page? Is it directly after you've posted or?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

How do you get to that page? Is it directly after you've posted or?

As soon as you submit a post, you're brought to that page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

El Guapo! wrote: »
    As soon as you submit a post, you're brought to that page.

Is it happening even now or intermittently?

Is it happening even now or intermittently?

It doesnt happen every post. It mightn't happen for a couple of days and then you get a few in a row.
    It seems fairly random.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

For me it's intermittent; I'd actually forgotten all about it until it happened again this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Happens to me too. It comes up as a red bar across the top with Invalid Post ID in it. It's intermittently, same as the others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Thanks for the reports folks, think we've got the cause tracked down now. I'll post with updates as soon as I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Boards.ie: Alvis

Do you guys tend to experience this when replying to existing threads or creating when new threads? Or perhaps both?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yep. Me too. On existing threads. Only intermittently.

I have a feeling it happens the odd time when I inadvertently double tap the 'post' button though. A user-end problem perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Happens me a fair bit!

I just go back and retype whatever I was trying to do! Mine only happens when I'm replying to an existing thread!

Happens me a fair bit!

I just go back and retype whatever I was trying to do! Mine only happens when I'm replying to an existing thread!

I never lose the post. Just go to boards homepage - my threads. My post will show as a highlighted unread (by me) new post, as if another user had responded.

Lose the plot sometimes, but not the post.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

No matter how many times I refresh the page my post vanishes or I get back to it and can't post it!

Happened again earlier when replying to a thread. The post still appears but it also appears as unread until I enter the thread again.

endacl wrote: »
    I never lose the post. Just go to boards homepage - my threads. My post will show as a highlighted unread (by me) new post, as if another user had responded.

Lose the plot sometimes, but not the post.

:)
    Exact same for me.

Although it happens when I reply to an existing thread or create a new thread. It happened when I posted the OP here.
    It's intermittent though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Same issue with me, hasnt happened in a few days, meant to post when it did, but I forgot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Just got it there, responding to this thread: http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056977673/201/#post86087986

Could it be device-related? On an iphone here too.

endacl wrote: »
    Could it be device-related? On an iphone here too.

I'm using android

Howdy folks, we're pretty sure the issue is related to database replication lag. As in, we're redirecting you to your new post before it's been copied down from our master database to our slave databases, hence the site not knowing it exists and throwing the "Invalid post ID" error.

Alvis has lined up a short term fix which we'll be deploying now tomorrow morning hopefully, which will introduce a very slight delay upon post creation before redirecting you to the thread.

Once we get to the bottom of the replication issues we'll be able to pull the delay back out, but in the interim it should sort out the problem detailed above.

Myself or Alvis will drop a post in here tomorrow once we get the updates live, thanks for the feedback

• Advertisement

Morning everyone,

The temporary fix for this has just been deployed.

If you still continue to get invalid post ID errors, please let us know in this thread, mentioning whether you were creating a new thread or replying to an existing thread.

Thanks again for taking the time to help us out.

Edit - Just got the error myself there so this fix didn't do anything. This is not possible to reproduce locally so it's difficult to debug. Sorry about this guys, We'll continue looking into this as a priority and keep you guys posted.

Okay guys, we think we found the root of the issue and deployed a fix for it.

And now if you continue getting those same errors, please let us know.

Thanks!

Compterz iz hard.

:(

I was trying to post in this thread just now....... http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056919980/107/#post86110562

.....and I got a similar message to before.
    Other than the word "redirect", its exactly the same as before.

I'll attach a screenshot

Thanks for the additional reports. We're still investigating, will hopefully have some updates by the end of the week.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement