Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting the cat out

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

muddypaws wrote: »
    Cats are actually grazers, snack feeders, they don't feed like dogs, they would typically eat 20/30 small meals a day, so the vet isn't an idiot. Cats very seldom gorge on their food, I put dry food out in the morning for my cats, and it is there all day for them to eat what they want, when they want. A lot of days there is still food left in the evening.

I'd well believe it. He's my first cat and I had expected that he would just graze throughout the day. Nope. He gobbles it all down as quickly as possible. I really have to monitor his food intake because I'd say he'd get Hella tubby if I let him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Depends a lot on the individual cats. One of ours will happily graze like that, the other would easily eat a whole bag of food in one sitting if you let her, so it makes life very difficult in our house as we have to keep an eye on her to make sure she isn't stealing the other cat's food when we're not looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

We leave ours out during the day when we're at work but keep them in at night, would this be an option? Cats don't really need to be out at night at all, they're more likely to get into fights etc at night so really it's safer for them to sleep indoors. Ours will now put themselves to bed at around 11pm and we can then leave them out all day, without leaving the house vulnerable with windows open etc.

Dolbert wrote: »
    We leave ours out during the day when we're at work but keep them in at night, would this be an option? Cats don't really need to be out at night at all, they're more likely to get into fights etc at night so really it's safer for them to sleep indoors. Ours will now put themselves to bed at around 11pm and we can then leave them out all day, without leaving the house vulnerable with windows open etc.

Yeah I might try doing this. I was just thinking of letting him out at night because generally he seems more lively and interested in going out at nighttime. He just sleeps all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

judgefudge wrote: »
    Yeah I might try doing this. I was just thinking of letting him out at night because generally he seems more lively and interested in going out at nighttime. He just sleeps all day

Mine used to do that when I first got them and was keeping them inside until they got settled, all their vaccinations, etc. Slept all day, and bounced around the house all night.

Now they go out in the morning, and if we're home they'll pop in and out. Then in the evening they come in and settle down for the night.

I don't have to worry about them getting into fights at night, and there's the added bonus of two cute furballs curling up against my feet on the bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Personally i think out is grand when you can supervise them , and you can let them in when the ask. And then one last huzzah before brought in for the night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Dave_Power

I think you should make your mind up before the nights get too cold, I wouldnt
    like to be leaving a cat out over night for the first time on a cold frosty night

Dave_Power wrote: »
    I think you should make your mind up before the nights get too cold, I wouldnt
    like to be leaving a cat out over night for the first time on a cold frosty night

Think I might try leaving him out when I go to work. But then weather wise is it ok to leave a cat out in the cold during the day even?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Judgefudge, our cats were never allowed out at night because as far as I can see they get into terrible trouble at night with other cats, foxes, oh any number of things because they were so active.
    Every night at midnight ours were fed and locked in, let out again at 6/7 am, mostly they explored at dawn, and after breakfast spent much of the day asleep on various beds/sofas/desk tops (I work from home) Two of the cats lived until they were into their 20s, the baby(:/) is now 12 and is happy as larry with this arrangement( he has lived it from a kitten, and will look for his bed and food at around 23:00 sometimes).
    Cats are way more active at night, but if they can have free reign during the day they can and do adopt to a much more owner-relaxing regime. They can get used to a routine quickly, but it takes practice.

I'm just wondering how to get him used to being locked out really. I work from at least 8-6 everyday and I live alone so there won't be an opportunity for him to come inside at noon if he wants. I might start locking him out for an hour or two here or there and see how he reacts. I'd rather he was out during the day too, he just seems very sleepy in the daytime so I don't know if he's bothered. He literally slept on my bed today from 11am to 10.30pm straight. Only getting up to eat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Dave_Power

hia. yeah theres no bother leaving him out during the day. remember there are risks, cats have no road sense, they stray, they can go missing for days or even never come back. And countless others.
    Make sure he has a small kennel.
    In my experience with my cats if its cold or if they want to come in you'll hear them scratching on your door. As your cat gets older he will prefer to be outside more than inside as he'll have a certain area to protect. In my opinion cats are a more outdoor creature then indoor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

So long as he has shelter from the elements and other cats he should be fine. A cat kennel or access to a shed would be ideal. Mine tend to be most active early morning an after 10pm, although when the weather's bad they want to sit in the open door and let the heat out:rolleyes: You know the saying that a cat is always on the wrong side of the door.

As far as the food thing goes, Felix can be a little eating machine, Jazzy is getting to be as bad. I've got their Advocate flea/wormer drops yesterday, now I just need a dry day to do them. And of course the element of surprise to get them on Jazzy:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My dad lets my guys out in the morning, around 7am. They spend nearly the whole day on windowsills, in their kennel, one if the sheds or the greenhouse. And usually we find cream on the shed roof. If we are going away somewhere we bring them in and let them out again when we get home, they get fed about 4 times a day too and only one of them is chubby! They come in every night between 6 and 8 and sleep for the whole night :)

Advertisement