Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

partner claiming jsa and maintenance grant?

Options
  • 13-08-2013 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

im just wondering if anyone has done this before, were there partner claims the full job seekers allowance so the person going to college can get the maintenance grant?

i was getting half and half but i want him to claim the full amount so i can get the maintenance grant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't think this is a problem really

If he is the main claimant then you get taken off as qualified adult.

If you are the main claimant then change it to him and you sign off

Have you thought about BTEA though?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

I don't see why I would be taking of as qualified adult as I would be getting less than 100 euro a week.

I got btea last year I got 230 and he got 200 so I was hoping he could claim the 400 and I could get whatever maintenance grant they would give me it would work out a little better.

lisar816 wrote: »
    I don't see why I would be taking of as qualified adult as I would be getting less than 100 euro a week.

I got btea last year I got 230 and he got 200 so I was hoping he could claim the 400 and I could get whatever maintenance grant they would give me it would work out a little better.

You can't get BTEA and a grant at the same time

You can't claim "full" jobseekers allowance for a qualified adult if the qualified adult is a full time student - the qualified adult is not genuinely seeking full time work

So really the best option is stay on BTEA and forget about the maintenance grant

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You can't get BTEA and a grant at the same time

You can't claim "full" jobseekers allowance for a qualified adult if the qualified adult is a full time student - the qualified adult is not genuinely seeking full time work

So really the best option is stay on BTEA and forget about the maintenance grant
    ok this is the bit i was wondering about went into the social welfare office and they just gave me the form so im sure they will tell be which would be better. i asked her if this could be done and she said yes so i wll have to wait and see what the deciding officer says i suppose.

Found this under increase for qualified aldult maybe someone could make some sence of it for me.

3. Persons not admitted as a Qualified Adult

A spouse/civil partner/cohabitant who is employed or self employed and who has a gross income exceeding the relevant limit.
    A family rate of payment applies to JA, Preta and Farm Assist. The reduced rate of increase for a qualified adult (for JA, Preta and FA) only applies if the claim was in payment previous to 26 September 2007 and was a saved case.

A reduced QA rate is paid where the spouse/civil partner/cohabitant's weekly income is more than €100 but does not exceed €310.
    A spouse/civil partner/cohabitant in receipt of an allowance in respect of a non-craft full time course approved by FÁS or a spouse/civil partner/cohabitant who is in receipt of an allowance while participating in a VTOS Course is not considered to be a Qualified Adult.

( Note - the entitlement of a person on part-time FÁS or VEC course or a full-time/part-time course which is not administered by FÁS or VEC is examined in relation to the income limit.)

• Advertisement

According to this a qualified adult doesn't have to be genuinely seeking full time work

http://www.inou.ie/welfarerights/unemployedjobseeker/qualifiedadults.html

So it looks like your husband could claim 188 for himself 124.80 for you and 29.80 per qualified child

Terry Pratchet

According to this a qualified adult doesn't have to be genuinely seeking full time work

http://www.inou.ie/welfarerights/unemployedjobseeker/qualifiedadults.html

So it looks like your husband could claim 188 for himself 124.80 for you and 29.80 per qualified child

That is great thank you for that info its a huge help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

What mango salsa said. A QAD is not on the live register so technically doesn't have to be seeking work. As they don't have a payment in their own name they can apply for the grant.

Advertisement