Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato sauce recipe

Options
  • 13-08-2013 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

I was wondering if someone could give me a good recipe to make a basic tomato sauce?
    I'm about to have a glut of lovely ripe tomatoes. My intention at the beginning of the season was to make some sauces to have over the winter, but of course iv left it till the last minute to get a recipe etc!

Ill be using the tomatoes to make a variety of pasta sauces and chilli's mainly.

Do people freeze the sauces or keep them in jars similar to jam?

Cheers,

SP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I make a lovely one I use for meatballs, Bolognese, on pizza, and it's really tasty and so simple to make!

INGREDIENTS

2 X tins of chopped tomatoes (EDIT: Notice you said you'll be using fresh..not sure of equivalent, sorry!)
    2 cloves of garlic, crushed
    1 onion, diced
    1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
    tsp dried oregano
    tsp dried basil
    tsp dried marjoram
    Salt and pepper

1) Fry the onion and garlic until soft. Then add everything else, bring to the boil, then reduce and simmer until thick.

TIP: You can throw a chunky diced pepper into the sauce halfway, too, for texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

^^
    I was going to post the same!

Maybe a second batch with chili ,for that 'fra diavilo' experience. I won't suggest a quantity, as spicy is such a 'subjective' experience!

Edit: Perhaps include a cup of red wine to the recipe above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

fussyonion wrote: »
    Notice you said you'll be using fresh..not sure of equivalent, sorry!)

About 250g of fresh tomoato is equivalent to a standard tin.

Advertisement