Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Dublin 15 need a big Tesco?

Options
  • 13-08-2013 11:05pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed that posters in this forum often bemoan the existing Tesco store in Dublin 15 in Roselawn as being dated, too small and offering a limited range of goods.
    Roselawn SC is coming up on 40 years and IMO looks every day of it.

Now that the Tesco Express store in Mulhuddart has closed and given that Dublin 15 now has a population of 100,000 - larger than Limerick - does the area require a large Tesco store?
    I've heard that people are driving to the big Tesco in Maynooth and also to the one in Cabra to avail of the better range of stock offered in these stores.

On the other hand, Tesco is often accused of killing off smaller retailers when they open a large store in a given community.

What do Dublin 15 boardsies think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Tesco Roselawn is definitely not big enough (car park wise and shop wise). We drive to the Finglas one. Would love if they opened an Extra store in D15!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

January wrote: »
    Tesco Roselawn is definitely not big enough (car park wise and shop wise). We drive to the Finglas one. Would love if they opened an Extra store in D15!

Ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I goto Maynooth now and again especially if there is a petrol deal too.
    I avoid Roselawn Tesco a best I can as the choice is not enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Tesco Roselawn could be 10 times the size it is with a massive range of goods but if it was still as grim as it is now I still wouldn't go near it. A decent, well-stocked, well-staffed Tesco would do very well in D15. I go to Cabra. It's much nicer.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If Tesco want to have a presence in the area it should be appropriate to the size of the market. The store in Roselawn is a joke. It's too small, poorly stocked, shabby and dated. Compare it to the new store in Cabra and it's clear that the residents of D15 are being short changed by the company. I'm not sure where a decent sized Tesco would go, but it amazes me that they haven't been more pro-active in trying to gain a greater share of the market in the area.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    If Tesco want to have a presence in the area it should be appropriate to the size of the market. The store in Roselawn is a joke. It's too small, poorly stocked, shabby and dated. Compare it to the new store in Cabra and it's clear that the residents of D15 are being short changed by the company. I'm not sure where a decent sized Tesco would go, but it amazes me that they haven't been more pro-active in trying to gain a greater share of the market in the area.

I'm not sure why I think this but I think the only place for it would be up behind the graveyard in Mulhuddart, or possibly where the "retail park" near where the hotel in Tyrrelstown was supposed to go, not sure if that is still happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

January wrote: »
    I'm not sure why I think this but I think the only place for it would be up behind the graveyard in Mulhuddart, or possibly where the "retail park" near where the hotel in Tyrrelstown was supposed to go, not sure if that is still happening.

With the new link road there that would be a great spot

eviltwin wrote: »
    With the new link road there that would be a great spot

I think it's only because we live near there though that we think that :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Tesco Roselawn could be 10 times the size it is with a massive range of goods but if it was still as grim as it is now I still wouldn't go near it. A decent, well-stocked, well-staffed Tesco would do very well in D15. I go to Cabra. It's much nicer.

Me too! If I go to Tesco it's Cabra, an altogether more pleasant experience with more friendly staff and a much better selection, almost everyone who uses the car park obeys the road markings too, a marked improvement on Roselawn. For local shopping I go to Superquinn if I need something that I'd forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

The problem imo would be where to put it and getting planning permission if a site was found,how long were aldi trying to get a site until quite recently,another reason roselawn won't be going anywhere in a hurry is it's turnover,it's the best performing tesco for it's size in the uk and Ireland and has been for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Id love a tesco extra just for the clothes section , cheap and fit the larger gentleman !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

No need for me but I'm in Ongar and have Dunnes on my doorstep. I only use Tesco for online grocery shopping so it doesn't matter where it's located.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Well, if I want to shop in Tesco I go to Maynooth or Cabra, never Roselawn. Would be nice if there was a Tesco in the Blanch Shopping Centre, but I guess that's not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Been going there since it was Crazy Prices. Or Quinnsworth. Can't remember. Never had an issue with it. I've never found anything in a bigger Tesco that I couldn't find in Roselawn, food wise anyway. I prefer to buy my TV's and clothes from TV and clothes shops.

Given that Maynooth, Finglas and Cabra aren't that far away, the shopping centre has two supermarkets, and there are any number of Lidl and Aldi stores in the area, I don't see why they would need to build a bigger Tesco. Not to mention, where would they put it? The current one sits in the middle of a thousand odd houses and has a school next door. There is no incentive whatsoever to build a new one on their part and I certainly don't think they need one.

My only issue is people walking across the car park with reckless abandon when I'm driving around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I'd love an extra near Ashtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I'd love an extra near Ashtown.

Does the massive Extra shop at Cabra 5 minutes drive from Ashtown not suffice? Oodles of buses go up and down the Navan Road from the Ashtown roundabout if you don't have a car and don't fancy the walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Really? I didn't know there was a Tesco there. I live halfway between Ashtown Station and Broombridge station so it'd be a bit of a journey but its good to know.

It's in behind Iceland and McDonalds at the big junction with the Old Cabra Road, New Cabra Road, Navan Road and Ratoath Road.

Is the one in Cabra a Tesco Extra? I didn't realise it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

Has the one in mulhuddart gone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

JupiterKid wrote: »
    On the other hand, Tesco is often accused of killing off smaller retailers when they open a large store in a given community.
    I think that the average net cost of a supermarket in the UK is 240 jobs to the area.

Well it sells clothes, I always assumed the ones selling things other than groceries were 'Extra'. It's massive anyway

Is the one in Cabra a Tesco Extra? I didn't realise it was.

No it's not. It's a superstore but not an Extra. Opening hours are crap though, closing at 10pm is ridiculously early!

It's far better than some of the Extras I've been in. It's very well laid out.

It's far better than some of the Extras I've been in. It's very well laid out.

It doesn't have a large enough selection of non grocery items to qualify as an extra. It still is my favourite of all of the Tescos in driving distance, just wish it opened til midnight

Ah yeah, I know that, but even in the Extra stores I only ever go to the grocery section. I'd take a decent regular Tesco over an Extra. 10 does seem very early to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If I happen to be coming that way Ill go to Tesco at Dodsboro Lucan, which although not much bigger than Roselawn is quiet and well stocked, or Maynooth which is a breeze.

The problem of them having Dodsboro, Roselawn, Maynooth and Cabra would be that a new Extra store somewhere in Greater Blanch would seriously affect their own catchments. Not saying they shouldnt do it, but planning law would probabaly restrict them to locating in an existing retail park. Coolmine would be ideal if they closed Roselawn at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Does the massive Extra shop at Cabra 5 minutes drive from Ashtown not suffice? Oodles of buses go up and down the Navan Road from the Ashtown roundabout if you don't have a car and don't fancy the walk.
    Walk ? From Ashtown to the junction of the OC road :eek: and then pick up shopping for a walk back ? I dont think so.
    ameee wrote: »
    Has the one in mulhuddart gone?
    Affirmative, yesterday was D-Day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

i think its a brilliant idea for this new bigger tesco.i can see how tesco is far to small for the people who have families etc and how they would benifit from a larger store, the tesco in roselawn is good for picking up last minute things or even picking the odd few things up in bulk but ass per saving ,your not really given that much to choose from. i know with my self i do end up spending more in the roselawn store due to the lack of product selection.lets just say i could end up buying a different brand name cooking sauce or what ever which is far more expensive, when i could be given a cheaper or possibly better option than the selection that is there. this kind of thing does add up when doing a shop in tesco and it would make a whole lot of a difference if there was room to be made for a further range of goods . the roselawn store is out dated just lik ethe whole roselawn shopping centre, sometimes i still think im walking into quinsworth :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

also meant to add ,why give cabra a tesco so large? considering that blanch a has a population of 100,000 ,give or take! is the cabra store there because its closer to town ?

Advertisement