Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to figure out if my cat is marking

• 14-08-2013 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I am at my wits end with my two cats. One and possibly both appear to be urinating outside of the litter box. Tonight one cat came into my room and sprayed against my chest of drawers, about half hour later went again in my sitting room bay window and a couple of hours later went again against the counter in my kitchen!!! I was only at the vets with both as one was showing signs of cystitis and I didn't know which one (found bloody urine). Vet suggested to treat both which I did. He didnt seem to find anything wrong with either having examined them so I am ruling out UTI.

Tonight's events have pushed me over the edge and I'm now thinking of putting them outside full time. They are constantly spraying my bedroom curtains and around my cooker in kitchen. What's really bugging me is tonight as Sassy brazenly just stood there in front of me and did her business it was in the spraying position but sorry to be crude but loads came out not just a couple of little sprays (particularly the last time in the kitchen which was like a flood). I just couldn't chance another mess to clean up when I get up at 6am so I put both out tonight.

I have witnessed them both use the two litter trays I have so I'm just confused, has anyone else suffered a similar issue? How did you resolve it? After being indoor/outdoor cats for 2 years (I put them out all day while I'm at work) although I don't want to, I'm thinking I have no choice but to put them outside permanently. I'm tired of walking into a room and getting that dreaded smell. :(

P.S. both are spayed females

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Is there outside bullying going on? A new cat that might have appeared?
    What age where they neutered at? How long have you had them? Has there been any change in your house circumstances (working longer hrs, more visitors than normal, a new housemate, a new child, litter tray moved).

If its spraying it is behavioural but you need to figure out what has changed.

How long ago was the suspected UTI? Was full bloods done on both? If not I would suggest full blood panel done on Sassy most definitely as she was the one caught in the act. This is the first place you need to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

So the vet just had you treat both cats with antibiotics without testing the urine of either one? This basically means that while you've treated the cystitis you could well still have an underlying cause, such as bladder crystals, which are painful, and will lead to the affected cat urinating all over the place. To be honest, a healthy cat will not need to urinate as often as you are describing: there is clearly something medical going on there.

I seriously doubt this issue is behavioural, and would be heading back for the vet to get checked out again asap. Preferably a different vet, who will run proper tests, and not just say they can't find anything wrong and dole out antibiotics like smarties, which is a really conflicting message in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

Thanks, as far as I know there isn't any bullying, though there is a neighbours cat that tends to be in the garden (my back garden seems to attract cats, I think its the magic doorway into the field behind the estate).

I think its possibly another bloody trip to the vets :mad: I got the Puss in Boots eyes last night and I let them stay in and woke up this morning and a pile of clothes on the floor in my room had been given a shower. (I didn't witness it though as I was asleep and both cats had found their way into the room when I awoke this morning).

Thanks for both your replies. I need to do something as I'm going insane - I may even be imagining the smell now at times I'm so paranoid (but not ususally!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What do you use to clean up the pee? If you don't use something that'll break down the protein in the pee (normal cleaning stuff would not) they will still smell it (you wont) and keep on peeing there as it's not scented with pee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

My sisters cat keeps spraying on my 42" tv :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We used Fizzion when Toby arrived and the 3 of them were spraying everywhere. It breaks down the enzyme in the urine so the smell doesn't come back and it stops them spraying over each others sprays, if you follow me. You just dissolve it in water in any clean spray bottle and it's ready to use when you need it. I know a lot of people also recommend using bio washing liquid, but the Fizzion was the easiest thing for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

I tend to first spray it with a white vinegar spray (as I was sure I read somewhere white vinegar broke the enzymes down), if a hard surface i wipe it and then clean with antibacterial spray/bleach whichever is to hand at the mo. When it comes to clothes/my curtains I wash them in biological washing powder in the washing machine. Might try that Fizzion before two cats get booted out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We found the Fizzion very good, I was down to my last nerve with the spraying and it was very humid at the time so going to bed to find the divan had been sprayed was annoying. I think we bought it on ebay. It's just handy to have 1 product that you can use to spray stuff instantly, especially if you've just seen them do it. They've stopped now, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sun_seeker

We have had a similar problem recently with our cat (spayed 3yr old female) and our vet believes it is behavioural rather than a medical problem. The cat will actually come in from outside to pee in some random place. She particularly love things that are left on the worktop like clothes or a tea towel :(

Very interested to read about the method of cleaning as i usually just use an antibacterial spray and some wipes. Must try Fizzion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Hydrogen Peroxide diluted and mixed with Some Baking Soda completely breaks down and neutralizes the smell of cat pee .. you just vacuum off the residue when it dries.

Carpets, mattresses, light colored fabrics should be fine, but double check a small portion to make sure.

So far as I know if a cat is actually spraying rather than just sitting down an peeing as normal its territorial rather than the likes of an infection :-s

• Advertisement
Advertisement