Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Mealworms

Options
  • 14-08-2013 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭

Sorry Mods, I know i cant advertise live animals on adverts, and im not really trying to make money, the charge is only to put off freebie hunters.

Hi all, I breed mealworms to feed the wild birds in the wintertime.

At the moment I have a heap of them that I dont need they are just gonna turn back to beetles and keep my worm farm going.

I want to thin them out a bit so maybe 1500 worms available, fed on Wholemeal Flour, Bran, Cornflakes, Carrot and Broccoli .

perfect food for many viv inhabitants. Or if you want to start your own colony, take a scoop of eggs too!

say €2 per hundred? bring your own box.

Pm for more info.
    Im in Knocklyon, D16.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I'm in Cork so can't take you up on your offer, but I'd be really interested in how you go about starting and maintaining a mealworm colony. I was always under the impression that it wasn't warm enough here to do it.

I have chickens and have been giving them dried mealworms as treats, but I'd love to have my own source of fresh ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

real simple, buy some live mealworms, get a big plastic bucket / box put 3 inch depth of bran / flour / cerial mix in the bucket.

Add a few cardboard egg box cartons.

add your mealworms,

throw in a quartered carrot every week,

Sorted!!

dont even look in for 6 months, just fire in the carrot, maybe another mugfull of flour etc if you want

no smell, no escapes, no hassle keep warm and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Thanks. I'm definitely going to give this a go! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

This might sound stupid but would you put a lid on it?

no need for a lid , the beetles / worms cant climb a smooth plastic surface. Apparently the beetles can fly, but if fed they dont bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Mech1 wrote: »
    Sorry Mods, I know i cant advertise live animals on adverts, and im not really trying to make money, the charge is only to put off freebie hunters.

Hi all, I breed mealworms to feed the wild birds in the wintertime.

At the moment I have a heap of them that I dont need they are just gonna turn back to beetles and keep my worm farm going.

I want to thin them out a bit so maybe 1500 worms available, fed on Wholemeal Flour, Bran, Cornflakes, Carrot and Broccoli .

perfect food for many viv inhabitants. Or if you want to start your own colony, take a scoop of eggs too!

say €2 per hundred? bring your own box.

Pm for more info.
    Im in Knocklyon, D16.

Hi, interested in this.

PM me please a mobile number and i look at collecting.

pm sent

Advertisement