Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of dying my hair purple... help!

• 14-08-2013 1:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

I have been dying my hair red for years, I want a change! My natural colour is medium/dirty blond. I was thinking of dying my hair bright purple with some dark purple t bars. What process would be involved? The condition of my hair is a little dry, I don't dye it too often or use heated appliances much so it's pretty healthy and thick. Do I need to strip it and bleach it first to get a vivid colour? Would that be too damaging to my hair? Would love to get it done professionally but I'm a poor student :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

I dyed my hair 7456242 different shades of pink and red last year. It was only dip dye. I had long hair and ~7-8 inches (20 cm) of my hair from the shoulders down was bleached and dyed.

As a fellow poor student, I did it myself at home. I have quite thick and healthy hair like yours. But to get a vivid result, I had to bleach my hair to death.

The upkeep of the colour was quite easy. I was topping up with whatever new shade I want in the shower every 2-4 weeks. But the upkeep of the bleached-to-death hair is a nightmare, tbh. It needs constant TLC. You need to use moisturing AND keratin rich products. I also used oils as pre-shampoo treatment before EVERY shampooing. (I tried commerical ones like the Philip Kingsley Elasticiser or the Ojon one. But they don't work as good as coconut oil for the fraction o the price.) I LOVED the results. But I was sick of the all the upkeep, so I get rid of it. And I am a girl who enjoys skin and hair care rituals. It is usually a joy for me to play with new products. But apparently, even I have a limit. I always wanted a bob anyway. So now, I have a short bob :D

And beware: While I have no problems with pinks, fuschias and reds; I could never get purples right. It is a hard colour to work with. My ends were bleached to a VERY light shade of blonde (almost white-ish). But I think you need to bleach it even more to get a good purple. But it also depends on your original hair colour. And as a very dark brunette, bleaching can be a nightmare.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

The only home die stuff I ever used that gave a vivid colour was stargazer dyes. I used to go between pink and purple in my teenage years. The colour comes out super vibrant and it's fairly cheap too at about a tenner a bottle. My hair is a darkish mousey blond, I never needed to bleach my hair to get a vibrant colour out of it.

Downsides are that it's only semi permanent, it starts to fade very quickly. To keep it bright you would need to redo it every 2 weeks or so. The hair dye itself is henna or something like that so you need to be very neat with the application as any on your skin is a pain to remove, this is also a good thing at the same time because it doesn't damage your hair or dry it out.

They didn't have this back in my day but it might be worth trying Revlon Colour bomb to top up the colour in between dye's, it might get you a bit longer before you need to redo it. I've heard great things about it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

You will have to lighten your hair, but you won't need white hair for it to work. Just a lighter yellow will do the job. If your hair is very dark, try ColourB4 from Boots to strip out the last few layers of colour you've put in your hair. This is safe to use and shouldn't damage your hair.

When your roots grow in, just lighten the roots and ignore the rest of your hair, then apply the purple all over. I've found purple very easy to keep. Especially the ones that fade to a nicer pink colour.

Get yourself some Crazy Colour hair dye - Terrisales on Abbey St or Nutgrove (apologies if you're not in Dublin, it can be bought online too from http://www.crazycolor.co.uk/). IMO, Stargazer, Directions and Fudge dyes are cr*p. Hot Purple, Aubergine, and Bordeaux are nice CC colours to use :)

To keep the colour vibrant, lash a spoon or two of the purple into your hair conditioner and leave it in for a few mins, and this will top it up every time you condition your hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

jenizzle wrote: »
    You will have to lighten your hair, but you won't need white hair for it to work. Just a lighter yellow will do the job. If your hair is very dark, try ColourB4 from Boots to strip out the last few layers of colour you've put in your hair. This is safe to use and shouldn't damage your hair.

When your roots grow in, just lighten the roots and ignore the rest of your hair, then apply the purple all over. I've found purple very easy to keep. Especially the ones that fade to a nicer pink colour.

Get yourself some Crazy Colour hair dye - Terrisales on Abbey St or Nutgrove (apologies if you're not in Dublin, it can be bought online too from http://www.crazycolor.co.uk/). IMO, Stargazer, Directions and Fudge dyes are cr*p. Hot Purple, Aubergine, and Bordeaux are nice CC colours to use :)

To keep the colour vibrant, lash a spoon or two of the purple into your hair conditioner and leave it in for a few mins, and this will top it up every time you condition your hair.

Thanks for the reply!

After I use the Colour B4 will I need to use another product to lighten it or will that suffice? I am in Dublin and I know Terrisales, never thought about putting colour in my conditioner, great tip!

Advertisement