Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using one of of these on non-HDMI consoles...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It will still look terrible. You can upscale all you want but if you are feeding a RF or composite (red yellow and white cables) signal into anything you are feeding it a good awful signal.

The best way to get the best video signal out of those consoles is to buy proper RGB scart cables for them. RGB scart is vastly superior to composite and will give a massive increase in video quality. Using a composite to RGB scart adapter is not the same thing since you are feeding an awful composite signal into the scart socket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It will still look terrible. You can upscale all you want but if you are feeding a RF or composite (red yellow and white cables) signal into anything you are feeding it a good awful signal.

The scaler in the link has a scart input, RGB support is also included under it's features

Features:
    Scales Scart Signal (RGB or Composite Video) to HDMI 720p or 1080P.

OP, best thing I've found is RGB and a thing called a 'scanline generator'. It gives your older consoles scanlines like on a CRT - so they look like they're meant to look.

Best option is Console > scaler > scanline generator > tv

Here's my one in action on an LCD (Dreamcast >VGA BOX>SLG300>VGA OUT)

scanlines1.jpg

Some more great pictures here

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33454

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Option 2: Find a CRT telly/monitor for next-to-nothing on Adverts and make room for it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Option 3: Emulation. 1080p output on your emulators. Amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why does something designed to output a signal to HDMI, have a HDMI input?

That's a bit odd to me...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anything after 16-bit is ropey and inaccurate. Even with 8 and 16 bit emulation the only truly accurate emulator is BSNES which requires a monster quad core to run.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Anything after 16-bit is ropey and inaccurate. Even with 8 and 16 bit emulation the only truly accurate emulator is BSNES which requires a monster quad core to run.

It's really not. I think I've actually said this to you before but the likes of Wii, GC and PS1 games are now perfectly playable, and with more modern plugins you can play seemless 1080p games with upscaled graphics. Dolphin for the Wii and GC works seemlessly on about 80% of games too.

Tune this into the highest quality.

And here it is on PSN. No smoothing at all.

I have a USB adapter for my Gamecube controller, and one for my Playstation controllers too. I have no issues playing anything on a modest computer and gives me a better and more customizable experience than old consoles do in my opinion. The only reason why I hold onto the consoles are purely nostalgic ones. When I have friends over though I play through the PC, people can play the 360/PS/GC controllers for whatever game and whatever console they desire.

Master of the Universe

Eugh, kill it with fire! :pac:

It's really not. I think I've actually said this to you before but the likes of Wii, GC and PS1 games are now perfectly playable, and with more modern plugins you can play seemless 1080p games with upscaled graphics. Dolphin for the Wii and GC works seemlessly on about 80% of games too.

Well to the untrained eye or someone that doesn't really care how the game looks then it will seem fine but it really isn't. The fact that PS1 emulation needs plug ins shows how dodgy it is. Sure there's plugs for the more popular games that will make them run but there's still timing issues that throw things off and lesser known games can be a total disaster and have game breaking timing issues.

A lot of emulators add effects like filtering to textures that looks awful on the PS1. It washes out all the detail in the textures.

If you don't have the consoles then sure emulation will do for popular titles but if you already have the consoles, why bother. What a lot of people also don't realise is that SD resolutions are actually quite high and actually come very close to matching sub HD games like CoD4. The problem is that people are using crap cables like RF and composite which gives a sub SD resolution with lots of artifacts and blurring introduced by these cables that further reduce visual quality. With a good RGB cable your console games will look far better than any emulation will provide.

Master of the Universe

I've yet to see something like a Snes, Megadrive, PS1, Saturn etc look better on modern tech than original hardware does on a Sony Trinitron CRT through RGB. Really can't beat it. Maybe a Sony PVM CRT :D

The whole SLG3000 thing is an okay second place though. It doesn't make me fear a CRT-less world as much as I did prior to owning one. You're still missing that lovely CRT glow, but at least you don't have to put up with the awful mess that is an LCD scanlineless image.

On a side point, emulation in MAME native resolution with scanline filters and a HLSL CRT curve effect looks frighteningly like the real deal.

Before (/shudder)

tmnt_source.jpg

After

tmnt_HLSL_reisze.jpg

• Advertisement

It's crazy how badly emulation gets even colours wrong!

Also running games in 1080p widescreen that were meant for 4:3 is just wrong on so many levels. Everyone looks like fat bastards.

Master of the Universe

Heh, I remember when my folks changed from a 4:3 CRT to a big widescreen one.

Lara never looked the same again :(

Well, if you like big butts...

Advertisement