Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heffernan takes gold medal in 50-km walk

Options
  • 14-08-2013 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought a thread should be set up to congratulate Rober Heffernan who has just won gold in the 50km walk in Moscow! Well done Rob! The hard work paid off and you have done us all extremely proud! A great day for Ireland, and a great day for Cork!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,004 ✭✭✭opus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Delighted for him, well done Rob!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

opus wrote: »

Just created a thread myself :o Maybe they should be combined by mods :) Such a proud day for our city!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

Deserves a medal after his great performances at Olympic level!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Fair play. The 50k must be one of the more punishing events physically and mentally.

I see he has already been "upgraded" to Irish athlete from Cork athlete.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

FABULOUS NEWS!!! WELL DONE ROB!!!

He's worked so hard and come so close. It's about time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

A great achievement. But no live coverage or replay on RTE is an absolute disgrace. Paying our TV license to watch Masterchef and property po rn programmes instead of covering some of the historic moments in our history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Super achievement indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

stooge wrote: »
    A great achievement. But no live coverage or replay on RTE is an absolute disgrace. Paying our TV license to watch Masterchef and property po rn programmes instead of covering some of the historic moments in our history.

I'm sure RTE would have screened it if they had paid the money to secure the rights but they didn't so they couldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

stooge wrote: »

Would they have had an audience for the entire 50K starting at 6am Irish time? No.

RTE have always done a very good job when it comes to sports, but I would imagine their ratings for athletics, generally speaking, are quite low.

If RTE had the coverage, people would have watched the last 10-15 minutes, if even that, at the most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

gimmick wrote: »
    Would they have had an audience for the entire 50K starting at 6am Irish time? No.

RTE have always done a very good job when it comes to sports, but I would imagine their ratings for athletics, generally speaking, are quite low.

If RTE had the coverage, people would have watched the last 10-15 minutes, if even that, at the most.

Even the BBC, who were covering the morning session, didn't screen the Men's race walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Malcolm in the middle anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

delighted for him! often spot him out training with his wife. seems like a good guy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Just heard him on the radio his accent makes me laugh so strong. Sounds like a lovely chap well done to him for following his dream and for his wife for the support.. They sound like great people I hope he gets time to relax a bit now when he is back and that he gets a great welcome home

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Being paraded around the city tonight after 9 and a stage is being setup outside Soho for him to be paraded to the Loprd Mayor and other guests.

Anyone around should pop in to see our World Champion.

Advertisement