Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marriage times three?

• 14-08-2013 9:36am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at the marriage record(s) of George Peter and Maria Traynor and, assuming they are actually the same couple in each case, I'm wondering why they get mentioned three times.
    1 - 2 - 3
    Okay, so it appears that George was Church of Ireland and Maria was Catholic but would both services be held on the same day. And then there's the two Catholic records which appear in two different books.
    Maybe there's nothing much to discern from all this but no harm in wondering I suppose.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tenterfields

I can't help on why there were CoI and RC ceremonies but I have the same experience of finding two entries for the same marriage in the Rathmines records. My paternal great grandfather's marriage in 1855 appears twice, once in Latin and once in English, just as in your case. I have search the Rathmines registers on microfilm in the National Library. They are especially well organised, with a comprehensive index. Maybe, they were tidied up at some point and original Latin entries translated?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Maybe, they were tidied up at some point and original Latin entries translated?

Yeah, that sounds like a likely explanation, thanks.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

some Rathmines RC images are missing from the IrishGenealogy website, but it looks like some of the marriages were entered in the register twice - e.g.

image 340 image 308

both show Sept. 1851 marriage - e.g. James Toole and Eliz. Glynn 24th Sept

I've seen double RC/CofI baptisms on the same day, also some double marriages - but that's the first on the same day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I have also come across records that don't appear on irishgenealogy. So now I take it with a pinch of salt. If the record doesn't appear on the screen I then take the bus into town to clear it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    If the record doesn't appear on the screen I then take the bus into town to clear it up.

Fortuna favet fortibus.;)
    Hat , coat......

• Advertisement
Advertisement