Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green sweet chilli jam.

Options
  • 14-08-2013 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭

About 3 or 4 times a year, I will make about 3kg of red chilli jam. It is very popular with friends and family and great to give if visiting someone.
    While eating some the other night with cheese & cold meats I though would it be possible to substitute the red for green chillies and have a lovely green colour jam. Made 2 kg on Monday, it's just green chillies, green peppers, jam sugar & cider vinegar. It tastes as good as the red but the colour isn't there, more if a greeny/brown colour.
    Is there anything I could do in next batch to get it greener? It would be nice for Christmas gifts to give a jar of each colour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

maybe adding a bunch of fresh coriander will help make it greener. coriander should work very well with the other ingredients.
    I would love to know your recipe, would you mind posting up the method and amounts used?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I Have heard of people making Jalopeno pepper jelly where they use green food colouring to get the colour http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/pepper-jelly-recipe/index.html

I'm wondering would you need to blanch the green chilli's first in order to keep the colour? in the same way you would with any green vegetable you want to preserve? It's something to do with the chlorophyll but the science escapes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

maybe adding a bunch of fresh coriander will help make it greener. coriander should work very well with the other ingredients.
    I would love to know your recipe, would you mind posting up the method and amounts used?

Hi curry, yes I will put up recipe and method tomorrow. Fabulous recipe and holds for months.

ahayes84 wrote: »
    I Have heard of people making Jalopeno pepper jelly where they use green food colouring to get the colour http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/pepper-jelly-recipe/index.html

I'm wondering would you need to blanch the green chilli's first in order to keep the colour? in the same way you would with any green vegetable you want to preserve? It's something to do with the chlorophyll but the science escapes me.

Thanks for that link. I thought about green colouring alright. Not sure if the blanching would help as the peppers are brought to the boil for 15 mins so they would loose their colour anyway. Think I might do a 500ml batch and see if it works with food colouring, have loads of chillies left. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

yeah i think your right about the blanching. Boiling for that long will remove the colour. Let us know how you get on with the food colouring.

• Advertisement

Curry addict as promised, sorry for delay.
    150g fresh red chillies, deseeded
    150g red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
    1kg jam sugar
    600ml cider vinegar

Put chillies & peppers into blended and finely chop.
    Dissolve sugar in vinegar, low heat without stirring.
    Add peppers to vinegar and boil for 15 mins.
    Allow to cool, should become thick and "jam like", check a little in fridge first. If not thick enough just boil again.
    Put into clean sterilised jars, I usually let it for a month before using. Flavours become more intense.

On a side note, I usually add more chillies as I prefer it hotter. For Christmas jam I usually do half red half green peppers to give nice flecks in jar for presentation.

Will try the green chilli jam again this weekend with food colouring to see if it works, but the red has never failed.

Everyone loves it, great gift to give but they will be looking for more. I usually double or treble the quantity.

WEAR GLOVES when deseeding!!!!!

Enjoy, need any other info just ask, 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

thanks, the recipe looks great. i have wanted to try this for awhile as i like to eat a lot of fresh prawns and langoustines and this will go great with them!
    ill let you know how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

150g fresh red chillies, deseeded

On a side note, I usually add more chillies as I prefer it hotter.

Leaving the seeds (well, more specifically, the membrane) in your chillies will also add heat.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Leaving the seeds (well, more specifically, the membrane) in your chillies will also add heat.

Yes I agree, I just wrote the recipe as in book. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

That's nigella's chilli jam recipe isn't it? I've made it with half red half green chillis before and it gives some nice green flecks in the overall red. Never considered making it with all green though... It'd be fabulous if you could get as vibrant a green colour as the red :)

• Advertisement

Yes it's from her "nigella's Christmas" one if my favourite books. I often do it with both also, but to perfect the green one is now my mission. I shall update on progress (or lack of it) ;)

Advertisement