Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Vegetable Garden

• 14-08-2013 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭

Hey all, looking for a bit of advice. I'm moving into a new house, my first with a back garden. I'm going to put a veg garden in the next 2 weeks, all going well.

So I have some (stupid?) questions.

First off, is it too late in the year to start this project?

If not, what veg should I look to grow at this time of the year?

Where would I find some good guides on preparing the soil and basics equipment I need?

Thanks, any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

I'd say it's a bit late to start planting the majority of stuff now, although I'm sure someone with more experience can think of some wintering veg you could try. Maybe it would be a good idea to get the site ready by putting in your raised beds, or digging over the ground you're going to use and putting the fertiliser/manure in with the soil, covering it over and letting it develop for planting stuff in spring.

There are a ton of books out there on growing your own veg. I've got this one, among others, but a search for books on vegetable growing on amazon will throw up a load of options. They'll tell you about treating the soil, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

Definitely plan out your site. I use raised beds myself. There are some veg that you can be over wintering, and Christmas spuds if you're on the ball and get your seed potatoes down. Areas that you don't use over winter you can prepare for spring. From early next year you can be starting off your spring stuff indoors ready for planting out when the frosts are gone.

There's plenty to do really. If you have the space, consider making your own compost heap or buying in a composter. It's great to have your own home made compost to hand.

I've only really started up this year, but I'm loving it. Your garden becomes such a joy when you're growing your own fruit and veg.

Best of luck in your new home, and happy gardening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

Just a general comment not a crack at the above posts. Why the obsession with raised beds for veg? It makes sense for tap root crops like carrots but do you really need to go to the expense for the majority of veg crops. Sure it gives you a nice look for the first year but it restricts your veg garden layout and you have to replace or repair them. Even Gerry Daly rubbished raised beds last month on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

Just a general comment not a crack at the above posts. Why the obsession with raised beds for veg? It makes sense for tap root crops like carrots but do you really need to go to the expense for the majority of veg crops. Sure it gives you a nice look for the first year but it restricts your veg garden layout and you have to replace or repair them. Even Gerry Daly rubbished raised beds last month on the radio.

There's a number of reasons. Easier to maintain, weed control etc. its better for your back in terms of height and distance you have to lean across.

Benefit of keeping the soil warmer, and better drainage. I find it easier to plan crop rotations also.

I have mine lined around the garden and they're aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I enjoy walking around them watching everything progressing.

Each to their own I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I find raised beds easier to maintain as well for some stuff. I have mine up at about 50cm, so higher than normal. Less bending, easier to see, perennial weeds don't spread in from the surrounding area. I live on a stony outcrop, there's only a few inches of topsoil before you hit rock. It was a choice of getting in 50 ton of topsoil, or 4. :)

My only bit of advice is to grow what you eat most. We go through loads of onions so I grow a few types of them. Red, spanish, shallots, scallions etc. Spuds as well.

And try to space out your planting so you don't have a massive glut of something in one week, and everything gone over after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭loco-colo

What did Gerry Daly say was wrong with raised beds?

loco-colo wrote: »
    What did Gerry Daly say was wrong with raised beds?

Basically its an extra expense and effort if you have good soil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Just a general comment not a crack at the above posts.Why the obsession with raised beds for veg?It makes sense for tap root crops like carrots but do you really need to go to the expense for the majority of veg crops. Sure it gives you a nice look for the first year but it restricts your veg garden layout and you have to replace or repair them. Even Gerry Daly rubbished raised beds last month on the radio.

A persons health and how mobile they are,may also have something to do with it.

If you went to Bloom this year,then you would have seen a garden dedicated to elderly folk and people in wheelchairs and mobility scooters,so that they could still grow veg and do gardening via purpose built raised beds and potting tables.

paddy147 wrote: »
    A persons health and how mobile they are,may also have something to do with it.

If you went to Bloom this year,then you would have seen a garden dedicated to elderly folk and people in wheelchairs and mobility scooters,so that they could still grow veg and do gardening via purpose built raised beds and potting tables.

Are you keeping track of who goes to Bloom?:D

Are you keeping track of who goes to Bloom?:D

Well Gerry Daly seemed to really like that show garden for the older less mobile/infirm folk......he thought it was great way for people will less mobility than able bodied people to still be able to get out and do gardening and grow veg.

Had a quick chat with him for a couple of minutes one of the afternoons I was over there.:)

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    Well Gerry Daly seemed to really like that show garden for the older less mobile/infirm folk......he thought it was great way for people will less mobility than able bodied people to still be able to get out and do gardening and grow veg.

Had a quick chat with him for a couple of minutes one of the afternoons I was over there.:)

Wow dedication! More than one day, no wonder you know which posters here attend Bloom.:D

Well to context Gerry comments he was asked a question on raised beds for veg gardening, at no time was disability mentioned in the question. I am sure he would have recommended them if the gardener had mentioned they were suffering from a mobility disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭loco-colo

I know the garden in Paddy's photo above - it is the garden of Our Lady's Hospice.

It is really an easy-access garden - wheelchair-friendly etc - and it has now been 'transplanted' - brick-by-brick - plant-by-plant to the Hospice grounds in Harold's Cross ... where it has been rebuilt beside the Palliative Care Unit and is a wonderful resource for the patients there.

The lady on the right hand side of the photo, with her back to you, is Eileen, the head gardener in the Hospice - a brilliant gardener who conceived, built and maintains this beautiful garden - it won several awards at Bloom.

If you missed it at Bloom - you may call to the Hospice in Harold's Cross and ramble around it - and Eileen has a terrific old-style rose garden at the other side of the grounds.

If you wish to donate a few euro while you are there ... that is allowed too.

loco-colo wrote: »
    I know the garden in Paddy's photo above - it is the garden of Our Lady's Hospice.

It is really an easy-access garden - wheelchair-friendly etc - and it has now been 'transplanted' - brick-by-brick - plant-by-plant to the Hospice grounds in Harold's Cross ... where it has been rebuilt beside the Palliative Care Unit and is a wonderful resource for the patients there.

The lady on the right hand side of the photo, with her back to you, is Eileen, the head gardener in the Hospice - a brilliant gardener who conceived, built and maintains this beautiful garden - it won several awards at Bloom.

If you missed it at Bloom - you may call to the Hospice in Harold's Cross and ramble around it - and Eileen has a terrific old-style rose garden at the other side of the grounds.

If you wish to donate a few euro while you are there ... that is allowed too.

This was the garden having its final touches put to it on the Tuesday morning before Bloom opened to the public,and also just before the shows judges came around to gve their judgments/awards on it.

And this was the fully finished garden on the Saturday afternoon,when I was back over.

A well thought out garden for the older/infirm folk and the Hospice Garden was a well deserving winner at Bloom.:)

Anyway,no harm to build a few raised beds in the back garden and grow some veg.

If thats what you want to do,then go for it and enjoy it.

Happy gardening/veg growing..:)

Advertisement