Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Management, need advice.

Options
  • 14-08-2013 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭

Guys, I'm thinking about doing a diploma project management course.

I have 3 options.

DBS - €1950 - PMI Recognized - but awarded by DBS (No FETAC, ICM etc)
    Griffith - €850 - (ICM Accredited)
    IBTA - €1395 - PMI recognized - Awared a Diploma + a level 6 FETAC)

Which one and why.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Anyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Dinging

Hi, I have only experience of the DBS course. Yes its the most expensive with no FETAC or ICM accreditation but it was a very positive experience for me and as a result I was able to get PMP certified with this course. To get PMP certified the course has to be PMI certified. There is a DBS exam that you do with the course and then it is up you to do the actual PMP exam. If you do the course do the PMP exam, don't waste the opportunity. You need 2 books the PMBOK and Rita Mulcahy PMP books there is a few different versions available. Course takes a bit of work but its a bit of craic also. PMP is internally recognised along with Prince 2 and show a certain degree of project management understanding.
    All the best in whatever you decide. Dinging.

Dinging wrote: »
    Hi, I have only experience of the DBS course. Yes its the most expensive with no FETAC or ICM accreditation but it was a very positive experience for me and as a result I was able to get PMP certified with this course. To get PMP certified the course has to be PMI certified. There is a DBS exam that you do with the course and then it is up you to do the actual PMP exam. If you do the course do the PMP exam, don't waste the opportunity. You need 2 books the PMBOK and Rita Mulcahy PMP books there is a few different versions available. Course takes a bit of work but its a bit of craic also. PMP is internally recognised along with Prince 2 and show a certain degree of project management understanding.
    All the best in whatever you decide. Dinging.

Thanks for that, do you happen to have experience as a PM. how did you sit the PMP exam as it requires 4500/7500 hours of previous PM work, also did you happen to get a job as a PM since.

the Griffith one counts towards your 35 hours for the PMP also.

PM me if you don't want your info disclosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Dinging

Yes was a PM before I took the course. This is the catch 22 for many people, that they need to have the experience in project management before that can take the course. As I was working as a PM already the course and qualification gave me a deeper understanding of the role of project management and how that fits withi my organisation. I have also been selected to move to different departments to review and implement changes to the PM process etc, kind of like a PMO. There is continuous personnel development with the PMP as you need to get professional development units which are like credits of which you need 60 every 3 or 4 years to maintain the qualification. Hope this helps and sorry the delay in replying. Dinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

since you can (as i did) obtain the PMP accreditation bu doing an online course (which you can pick up for 100-150 euros) and study in your own time, is there really any advantage in terms of employability in having a diploma on your cv as well? Do these diploma courses really add much of value to your knowledge in the area?

if you are a PMP, you are a PMP, after all?

• Advertisement

I work in IT, I do some PM tasks in my job but it's not classified as PM.
    I'm going for the diploma in the hope it adds to my CV and gets me in the door as a PM when I get Pricne2 certified, then I can accumulate the 3 years experience required to sit the PMP exam.

Advertisement