Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Excel geniuses here???

Options
  • 14-08-2013 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

Howdy all

I'm trying to generate a number sequence in Excel (I'm a graphic designer) so that I can generate 720 results for possible race finish of 6 greyhounds.

ie

and so on...
    6x5x4x3x2x1 = 720 variables

I'm relatively familiar with Excel as we use it for mail merging, personalising data and writing numbering blocks for tickets, docket books, etc... but these are usually in sequence.

This one has me stumped!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Is this of any use to you?
    http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/tip/generating_permutations/

I've had to do this in the past and found a great link on it, but can I find it again? NO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Hooked

kippy wrote: »
    Is this of any use to you?
    http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/tip/generating_permutations/

I've had to do this in the past and found a great link on it, but can I find it again? NO

Thanks but as a graphic designer (photoshop, indesign, etc...) all that code is double dutch to me. I'll try and make sense of it! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 27 daniel2013

I know you wish to use excel, however would it be possible for you to use random.org (online random number generator)?
    http://www.random.org/integer-sets/

Use the settings below:
    Generate 720 sets with 6 unique random integer(s) in each.
    Each integer should have a value between 1 and 6 (both inclusive; limits ±1,000,000,000).

Make sure also to uncheck the three checkboxes in Step 2 (Display Options)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,452 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

daniel2013 wrote: »
    I know you wish to use excel, however would it be possible for you to use random.org (online random number generator)?
    http://www.random.org/integer-sets/

Use the settings below:
    Generate 720 sets with 6 unique random integer(s) in each.
    Each integer should have a value between 1 and 6 (both inclusive; limits ±1,000,000,000).

Make sure also to uncheck the three checkboxes in Step 2 (Display Options)

I don't think that will meet the OP's requirements because it would be statistically impossible for that method to give him the full set of 720 permutations. Generating random numbers will always throw up duplicates which he does not want.

Imagine asking a random number generator to generate 100 numbers in the range 1-100, what are the chances that there will be no duplicates?

coylemj wrote: »
    I don't think that will meet the OP's requirements because it would be statistically impossible for that method to give him the full set of 720 permutations. Generating random numbers will always throw up duplicates which he does not want.

Imagine asking a random number generator to generate 100 numbers in the range 1-100, what are the chances that there will be no duplicates?

You were dead right!!!

I was able to do "find and replace" search in my design software and some are repeated... But thanks a MILLION!!! Daniel2013 for the suggestion. You momentarily had a virtual pint being pulled!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭davetherave

Open up a blank excel document.

Press Alt+F11 to open up visual basic
    Insert --> Module

Paste everything in the quote below.
    Dim r As Long, c As Long, strArray() As String, sTemp As String

Sub Combo()
    Dim InString As String
    r = 0: c = 0: Erase strArray()
    InString = InputBox("Enter text to permute:", "Permutations", "1,2,3,4,5,6")
    If InStr(InString, ",") = 0 Then Exit Sub
    strArray = Split(InString, ",")
    If UBound(strArray) - LBound(strArray) + 1 <= 6 Then
    With Application
    .ScreenUpdating = False
    .Calculation = xlCalculationManual
    .EnableEvents = False
    Call GetPerms("", Left("012345", UBound(strArray) - LBound(strArray) + 1))
    Range(ActiveCell, ActiveCell.Offset(0, c)).Columns.AutoFit
    .ScreenUpdating = True
    .Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
    .EnableEvents = True
    End With
    Else: MsgBox "Too many permutations!"
    End If
    End Sub

Private Sub GetPerms(x As String, y As String)
    Dim i As Integer, j As Integer, k As Integer
    j = Len(y)
    If j < 2 Then
    For k = 1 To Len(x & y)
    sTemp = sTemp & strArray(CInt(Mid(x & y, k, 1))) & ","
    Next k
    ActiveCell.Offset(r, c) = Left(sTemp, Len(sTemp) - 1)
    sTemp = ""
    If ActiveCell.Row + r < Rows.Count Then: r = r + 1: Else: r = 0: c = c + 1
    Else
    For i = 1 To j
    Call GetPerms(x + Mid(y, i, 1), Left(y, i - 1) + Right(y, j - i))
    Next i
    End If
    End Sub

Go back to your excel document.
    Click in the cell you want the list to begin at.
    Tools --> Macro --> Macros and click on Combo. Click on run. You should see 1,2,3,4,5,6. Click Ok.

This will give you the 720 results in a column.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 daniel2013

Hooked wrote: »
    You were dead right!!!

I was able to do "find and replace" search in my design software and some are repeated... But thanks a MILLION!!! Daniel2013 for the suggestion. You momentarily had a virtual pint being pulled!!!

Sorry about that, but your original post just said you wanted 720 results, not all 720 possible results! Good luck with finding a solution though, I'm afraid I can't help you there if you need all the possibilities

Open up a blank excel document.

This will give you the 720 results in a column.

Dave The Rave.... YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!

I thought I needed these in separate columns BUT your version with all numbers in one "cell" is an even better option for me. I hope the CSV treatment and additional commas dont throw things out of whack!!!

CHEERS!!!!

Advertisement