Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking zones

Options
  • 14-08-2013 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I wonder if anyone on here can answer a question for me. I've recently moved house and am living near the edge of a permit parking zone. I'm trying to find a map of parking zones in Cork so I can check exactly where the permit parking ends and free parking begins. I think I'm probably OK where I'm parking now, but don't want to find out I'm wrong the hard way!

There doesn't seem to be anything on the corkcity.ie website to indicate the boundaries of the parking zones, and I can't get through to anyone in the Council by phone - I just get an answering machine.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i know this might sound ridiculous but i think if you buy a €10 book of parking discs (for cork city center) they have the map on them,

they used to but i think they still might,

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think you will find that there may be differences for pay & display zones and residents permit parking zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ccgg

Thanks for the tip, but I suspect the parking disc book will only show city centre disc parking zones, rather than resident's permit zones a bit farther out. Any ideas where I could find a map of permit parking ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've looked on the Cork Co Co site and can't find it either.
    I reckon your best bet is to go into city hall and ask for the map.
    I have an old one here but it's too big to scan. If you have a specific query, maybe I can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ccgg

Thanks, I was hoping to avoid having to make the trip over to city hall, but I think it might be my best bet. How annoying is it that they don't put the map online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Are they not sign posted?

Ludo wrote: »
    Are they not sign posted?

Nope.
    The OP is looking for the resident's permit parking zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chocky88

I know this is not completely on this topic but i was wondering did anyone hear of the new parking solution in cork called spaceworks. Seen n article about it the other day in the examiner and thinking about using it, was just wondering did anyone hear or see anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Nope.
    The OP is looking for the resident's permit parking zones.

Yeah, I just assumed all parking disc/pay parking zones allow residents to park free with a permit and as all pay parking zones are marked it would be easy to work out...

Obviously not that simple though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Ludo wrote: »
    Yeah, I just assumed all parking disc/pay parking zones allow residents to park free with a permit and as all pay parking zones are marked it would be easy to work out...

Obviously not that simple though.

You can only park on certain streets though, depending on where you are resident. They are zoned A,B,C, etc and it's very hard to get a map! Last time we renewed they didn't have one (I was looking as I knew I'd have to park in the city further away from home for an event.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

There is a map, but I've only ever seen it in printed form. I think you get an A4 copy when you receive your resident's parking permit after handing over your first born child to Cork City Council.

I had also thought that the resident permit areas were the same as disc parking areas and that the permit allows you to park in disc parking areas, but only within your local permit zone. By this logic, if there is no disc parking sign on the street, you would be allowed to park there without a permit. That's seems to be the case around here (The Lough/Glasheen Road).

If this is not true it seems a bit crazy, i.e. no one at all is allowed to park on a permit-controlled street except residents, and there is no facility to pay for short-term parking. What if you have visitors, tradesmen, hire cars etc.? Of course, just because it's crazy doesn't mean the Council wouldn't implement it as a policy. :rolleyes:

Off-topic, but I remember ringing up to ask how I would park a hire car as a local resident and was told I would have to go through the full permit application for the particular car registration number.

There is a map, but I've only ever seen it in printed form. I think you get an A4 copy when you receive your resident's parking permit after handing over your first born child to Cork City Council.

I had also thought that the resident permit areas were the same as disc parking areas and that the permit allows you to park in disc parking areas, but only within your local permit zone. By this logic, if there is no disc parking sign on the street, you would be allowed to park there without a permit. That's seems to be the case around here (The Lough/Glasheen Road).

If this is not true it seems a bit crazy, i.e. no one at all is allowed to park on a permit-controlled street except residents, and there is no facility to pay for short-term parking. What if you have visitors, tradesmen, hire cars etc.? Of course, just because it's crazy doesn't mean the Council wouldn't implement it as a policy. :rolleyes:

Off-topic, but I remember ringing up to ask how I would park a hire car as a local resident and was told I would have to go through the full permit application for the particular car registration number.

If there is no disc parking - anyone can park there, although I think I have on occasion seen "resident's parking only" signs in places.

I find that a note in the window will usually get you a bit of leeway with hire/borrowed/new cars .

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Check if residents can get visitor permits - you can in Dublin.

Advertisement