Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Yoghal

Options
  • 14-08-2013 11:46am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Myself and the wife and 2 kids (5 month old & 2.5 yr old) are heading to the Quality hotel appartments there mid Sept for 5 nights.

Few questions pls.

We are coming from Mayo so what sort of time would it take normally say from Galway or Limerick. Leaving Mayo at 3pm so trying to gauge what it might take me.

Anything stand out which we should look to see or do in Youghal or surrounding. Foto Wildlife is a must I hear :D

We are kinda limited with the young girl so no niteclubs :)

Food wise, is the hotel good or bad, any family friendly spots to eat in town and would it be walkable? We love seafood :)

There wouldn't be bike rental there by any chance?
    Beaches for good walks.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

AA Route Planner is your friend to give you estimated driving time.See here.

http://www.theaa.ie/routes/

Youghal is a bit of a dead end town.Ye will find out when ye get there.It is on the Cork/Waterford border so also visit Ardmore(10 mins away) and Dungarvan(20 mins away).Ye could also visit Midleton(20 mins away) and Cork City(40 mins away)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

You're 2.5 year old would like Perks Amusements place - bumper boats, slides, etc

Mizzoni Pizza do good take-away for after the kids are asleep

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks very much folks.
    Appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

We spend a bit of time in Youghal - and love it there. We don't have children, but our families stay with us at times.

First of all the beach is fabulous there - miles of beach to walk along. That hotel is right on the beach.

I haven't eaten at that hotel, so can't comment.

There are lots of nice restaurants in the town. Unfortunately not walkable! Clancys have recently started food, I haven't tried it yet, but during the day you could walk along the beach to get there. For an adult it's probably 20-30 minutes walk. When you get to promenade, come off near end of it and Clancys is in front of you.

After that, you need to drive to rest. Youghal is a very long town! It's also a one-way system. So driving into town, you come to clock gate.

On the rightbefore the clock gate, there are 2 Italians - Luigis and Capri Bay. Have eaten in both loads of times and I love both. Luigis is very small, but he's made maximum use of the space. If you do go in the evenings book it -we've been disappointed a few times by not booking - at lunch time I've gotten tables without booking. At Capri Bay, I've got tables without a booking, but have also been turned away without a booking. Never been there for lunch. So through the gate, on the right again is Bella Roma, another Italian. We've eaten here lots and again love it - great atmosphere there, although it's rarely very busy - it's quite big. They have a back garden and on a festival weekend that was the only table available and we ate out there - fabulous - but it was a warm night!!

So moving on another bit and as the street narrows, on your right Chinese - Pak Fook, one of my favourite ever. It's worth eating in there - their takeaway is very good too, but eating in there is even better. We haven't ever booked this and have always gotten a table. Moving onto end of town and on your left is Old Imperial. In a town of a lot of good restaurants this has become our favourite. Definitely book - and be prepared to change your times - we've got booking for 6, when nothing was available at 8 which we wanted - that kind of thing. A word of warning for here - portions are huge! You won't manage 3 courses! Across the road from it is Red Store, we haven't been there since manager left (he's at Old Imperial now), but it used to be good and it definitely family friendly - my in-laws go here a lot and would have kids wit them.

I'm sure I've left out some restaurants. We tend to spend 2 weeks in Youghal every summer and lots other times besides and I can honestly say we've never eaten a bad meal there - or even a "that was okay" meal. There are a few chippers too - and both Doyles and Supermacs deliver! They do charge for delivery and not sure how far they will go - but it's handy to know!

There is a playground near the beach - I can't tell you exact location, as I only heard about it from my sister who's there at moment with her kids - I suspect it's nearer town - but ask at hotel and they'll tell you - she thought it was great.

Then there is Aura - swimming pool and it's a big favourite with kids - your little one will be too small for the slides etc, but there is a baby pool in there too. That is walkable from hotel - about 10 minutes for an adult.

I know it's got a reputation as a dead-end, nothing town. But it's got a lot going for it - the people are some of the nicest you can meet, the beaches are fabulous and the weather is usually better than its further west.

Enjoy yourself! heading off there myself later for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Imo,one of Irelands most historic towns,the old CoI is a norman church with some very old tombs inside,next door you have the 16th century Myrtle Grove(though it is in private hands)town walls,abbeys clock tower,the 1950s film adaption of Moby Dick was filmed there.

Interesting town and a good choice,a trip up the blackwater valley nearby also worth it.

Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Youghal is far from being a dead end town.It wouldn't be as well maintained as places like Clonakilty and Kinsale but it's a very nice town with a fine selection of pubs and dining options and there is also a very nice harbour and beech.There's also the amusements to entertain the kids.There's the medieval walls to explore and things like that.It's a very historic town and there's also the medieval alms houses and the people are very friendly and welcoming.I think Youghal is actually the oldest town in Cork.I recommend the Nook pub on main street for a pint and the Redstore restaurant across the street for a bite to eat.However if it's seafood you want then go to Aherns.Enjoy your visit.:)

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

It'll take you about 2hrs to drive from Limerick city to Youghal.
    As previous posters have said Perks is good for the kids although the music can be a bit loud there if you're bringing the baby. Lovely boardwalk on the beach so you can easily push the buggy along.
    There's a nice open farm just opened in Ardmore (10 - 15 minds drive) with an indoor playarea, sand pits, electric diggers, outdoor playground and of course animals :). Ardmore itself is also worth a visit.
    5 minutes from Youghal you can visit Glenbower wood in Killeagh which has some nice walks and a river running through it. Plus the Thatch pub there does great food.
    You could also hit Ballymaloe gardens. €15 for a family which seems steep enough but on a nice day you could spend 2 hrs walking around the place.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks v much folks. Appreciate all the advice.

Any places to rent bikes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

+1 on the Norman church, it's a fantastic snapshot of proper history, and it's great to peek over the wall into Myrtle Grove and see where Walter Raleigh once lived.

I love just strolling the town, it has a great array of buildings and there's loads to nose at. It is long though, as someone else has pointed out, so you'll need a buggy.

The boardwalk is the best thing the town council have done in yonks, long overdue but credit to them. They need to get the clifftop fixed though, that's really starting to drag on at this stage.

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    Thanks v much folks. Appreciate all the advice.

Any places to rent bikes?

No place in Youghal AFAIK but might be worth contacting the crowd below. Looks like they can drop off bikes in Youghal
    http://www.cyclingholidays.ie/bicyclehire.shtml

mordeith wrote: »
    No place in Youghal AFAIK but might be worth contacting the crowd below. Looks like they can drop off bikes in Youghal
    http://www.cyclingholidays.ie/bicyclehire.shtml

Cheers. Would it be suitable to cycle out from Youghal? Wife isn't a "cyclist" but if it was safe enough she would be sound. Have to have 2 buggies on the back for the kids.

yop wrote: »
    Cheers. Would it be suitable to cycle out from Youghal? Wife isn't a "cyclist" but if it was safe enough she would be sound. Have to have 2 buggies on the back for the kids.

I wouldn't cycle out the Waterford road as it's very narrow once you go over the bridge. You could cycle out the Cork road though and maybe take the road to Redbarn beach or further on to Pilmore. Again this road is your typical b-road but at least it's relativelt straight. Here's a steet view

EDIT: Just realised that Redbarn is where you're staying

Thanks for all the advice. We had a busy few days, more busy looking after the 2 kids but we got a lot in.
    Youghal and its people are very friendly and helpful.
    We got to the Ardmore pet farm, Fota park, Cobh (georgous wee town) and the titanic museum, saw the big cruise ship.
    We went to Ardmore town, onto Dungarvan.
    A few walks around Youghal, got a pizza, had a drink in the Quay bar, great spot for a match :)

A LONG trip from Westport in fairness but savage beaches. Got a run and a few walks in on the beach.
    The hotel houses were perfect and the staff in the hotel were lovely.

Thanks for all your advice, yous should be proud of the lovely towns and people you have there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

If all comes to all we'll all go to Youghal

Advertisement