Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop

Options
  • 14-08-2013 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a decent laptop. Budget 400 euro. Looking for something fairly fast. Just general web email and assignment stuff. I was about to buy the hp ultrabook posted on bargain alerts until I heard the terrible reviews about HP. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

I'd tinker around on dell and search for their discount codes. U might have to go an extra 50euro to get i3 processor

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭christyden

I'd tinker around on dell and search for their discount codes. U might have to go an extra 50euro to get i3 processor

Seen a few on dell but bit on steep side for me. Would getting in the states be cheaper I'm going there in two weeks maybe I should wait till I see what's there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Having had very bad experiences with Dell recently, I encourage you to steer clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭christyden

turbot wrote: »
    Having had very bad experiences with Dell recently, I encourage you to steer clear.

OK so not HP not Toshiba not dell! Can any one recommend a decent laptop for around 400 mark. Or is it like the grand national close my eyes and stab the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,152 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I bought a Lenovo for a family member from here about 3 years ago and it never give a moments bother.

Cant recall exactly but I think it was around 10 or 12 quid sterling to ship at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

i bought a laptop from these guys last year. http://www.laptops4students.ie/laptops.html

never had a problem, ended up with a hp. also i was going into college however they never asked for student id or anything so i wouldnt worry about the whole student thing!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Dell, HP or any of the other manufacturers do have issues from time to time. I've worked for several of them in the past- and can honestly say I've no preference of one over the other. For customer support- Dell are one of the better companies to deal with - and they're local. I've had a nightmare dealing with Lenovo- you wouldn't believe it, took them over 6 months to replace the motherboard on a laptop that went, despite there being a recall on it (known chipset issue).

Its highly probable that your laptop may have come off the same assembley line- irrespective of which manufacturer's logo is plastered on it.

Who has the better customer service? Thats what I'd be asking- and of course who gives best specifications and best price.

Customer service- I'd vote Dell.
    Best price/specs combo- Lenovo (this one is a no-brainer)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

christyden wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for a decent laptop. Budget 400 euro. Looking for something fairly fast. Just general web email and assignment stuff. I was about to buy the hp ultrabook posted on bargain alerts until I heard the terrible reviews about HP. Thanks in advance

Tesco........Toshiba,Packard Bell and Figitsu Siemens Laptops for under 300 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MrShivers

What's wrong with HP? I've bought three different Pavilion DV6s and they were all perfect. Using one right now. Quad core processor with graphics card and all round great specs for a laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Bought a touch screen from this crowd last year.

Couple of down sides though:
    • they are based in the north
    • they deal in refurbised HP's

but i was impressed.

http://www.thelaptop.co.uk/laptops.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement