Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted child abduction in Greystones - true?

Options
  • 14-08-2013 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Can anyone verify if this is true? Panic is spreading on FB and I can't find any news reports of this so common sense suggests that this is not true.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Saw this on facebook

267260.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Can someone phone the Greysrones police to verify if it's true and report back here ?

ALL CAPS IN THE POST?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

worded wrote: »
    Can someone phone the Greysrones police to verify if it's true and report back here ?

ALL CAPS IN THE POST?
    Can't you? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

worded wrote: »

ALL CAPS IN THE POST?

True or not, all parents can do is educate their children to be vigilant and tell them what to do if such an incident should happen to them.

Eponymous wrote: »
    Can't you? :confused:

I'm not in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Panic is spreading on FB
    There's your clue...

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

eigrod wrote: »
    True or not, all parents can do is educate their children to be vigilant and tell them what to do if such an incident should happen to them.

I personally think that if this serves as a reminder to have a chat with our kids about safety - especially when we live in such an idyllic place - then it is no bad thing. Kids should not be getting in an unspecified car with anyone regardless of whether they know them or not.

Thanks for the link Matt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Apparently happened again yesterday morning, two men in a silver golf wearing fake moustaches

Gards were notified but they believe it's a prank

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Apparently happened again yesterday morning, two men in a silver golf wearing fake moustaches

Gards were notified but they believe it's a prank
    Yep got a message too on FB ;from someone I know ; claiming in lower case to be a friend of the UPPER case person. Reckon it's crap and as always the real threat is from the parish priests, community worker and anyone who works themselves into positions to be near kids. That is not to suggest that everyone in such positions is there for that reason. But that is where most abuse occurs.

Yep got a message too on FB ;from someone I know ; claiming in lower case to be a friend of the UPPER case person. Reckon it's crap and as always the real threat is from the parish priests, community worker and anyone who works themselves into positions to be near kids. That is not to suggest that everyone in such positions is there for that reason. But that is where most abuse occurs.

Actually no. It is most likely to be a family member or friend.

• Advertisement

5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Your Children Do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXhddUqNNjo

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aynneone

That post was genuine, the OP, very upset, hence the caps, shes a friend of mine. Logically, yes, probably its local yobbos playing silly beggars, but 10/11 year old dont need to be playing silly beggars, it scares them and is unnessecary. However the car was described as a silver Golf with a 99? reg, and the Gardai did pull it in and question lads at Centra. Point being, stop slagging off a scared mother who happened to type in caps trying to get what just happened to her son out there and alert other parents immediatly..everyone is very quick to down Facebook...it does serve a purpose also, better an overreaction than people not being aware of possible danger...

I hope the cops gave those lads a right telling off. Really bad behaviour to scare kids like that. I hope they get named and shamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

I hope the cops gave those lads a right telling off. Really bad behaviour to scare kids like that. I hope they get named and shamed.

Happened to drive past that ' interview ' ,as I approached it I though it was a group of lads stopped for a chat, the police car was unmarked ,about the size of the Golf, it was only when I saw the small blue light on the dash I realised what was going on, seems a shame I didn't have the wit to whip out the mobile and take a pic, they then could have been photo posted and shamed...:)
    I know, I know, libel laws etc, still, it's a nice thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

So based on the more recent postings about the validity of the story - any chance of an apology for the lewd aspersions cast about "parish priests, community worker and anyone who works themselves into positions to be near kids."

If your post was supposed to be humorous, a smiley might have alerted us to your own brand of humour.

If not, then I hope the rest of us who work in sports clubs, volunteer organisations etc. will just trash any of your petty minded postings. Or better yet maybe the rest of them are already just ignoring you and I need to learn to do the same.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭antoniolgj

Oldlegs wrote: »
    So based on the more recent postings about the validity of the story - any chance of an apology for the lewd aspersions cast about "parish priests, community worker and anyone who works themselves into positions to be near kids."

If your post was supposed to be humorous, a smiley might have alerted us to your own brand of humour.

If not, then I hope the rest of us who work in sports clubs, volunteer organisations etc. will just trash any of your petty minded postings. Or better yet maybe the rest of them are already just ignoring you and I need to learn to do the same.
    :mad:

Had cuddlycavies written "black people" or "Imams" instead of "parish priests" the Garda would be knocking his door in no time and the post would have been deleted, but nowadays it looks like it's fashionable bash the church...

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Folks - any problems with posts and you can use the reported post button

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Happened to drive past that ' interview ' ,as I approached it I though it was a group of lads stopped for a chat, the police car was unmarked ,about the size of the Golf, it was only when I saw the small blue light on the dash I realised what was going on, seems a shame I didn't have the wit to whip out the mobile and take a pic, they then could have been photo posted and shamed...:)
    I know, I know, libel laws etc, still, it's a nice thought..
    I seen the unmarked car too it was red the golf was up on a recovery truck
    around corner of La Touche Park, this was at 11.30 am the kids were approached at 5pm at blackion,so unless the guys got their car back I am at a loss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

There you go, could have been a completely unrelated incident, very easy to put two and two together and get twenty two! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

antoniolgj wrote: »
    Had cuddlycavies written "black people" or "Imams" instead of "parish priests" the Garda would be knocking his door in no time and the post would have been deleted, but nowadays it looks like it's fashionable bash the church...
    yes I remember now! So many Imams in the Ryan report! It should be ''fashionable'' to bash an institution which facilitated and covered up so much horror.

• Advertisement

yes I remember now! So many Imams in the Ryan report! It should be ''fashionable'' to bash an institution which facilitated and covered up so much horror.

Ok fine but this is all really off topic

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Camrat

There was a incident last night in Kilbarrack. Two men driving a White Ford Transit Van, With high roof tried to abduct a child. 25/09/13. This is the third report of a attemped child abduction in as many weeks in the area.

Camrat wrote: »
    There was a incident last night in Kilbarrack. Two men driving a White Ford Transit Van, With high roof tried to abduct a child. 25/09/13. This is the third report of a attemped child abduction in as many weeks in the area.

Kilbarrack is not Greystones

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement