Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to camping

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

FrostyJack wrote: »
    That looks similar to my Snugpak Jungle bag which is rated 1 degree lower on both extreme and comfort but that is only 750 grams, I am planning to use that with a USMC bivi bag instead of a bigger bag (have 2 huge ones that take up most of my bag) this week. I have an snugpak ionsphere tent which packs small and weighs just over 1kg but 3 of them take the guts of the bag along with a fleece. One option is to get a slightly bigger bag and just bring the tent.

my tent (Gelert) looks like a cheepo version of your one, some people don't seem to be want to be in a "coffin tent" during the winter but don't think its a big issue. I like the idea of multiuse gear so if its raining Ill bring a poncho and mess around with a tarp setup with the Gelert.

No experience with bivi bags myself but am curious about using a tarp and sleeping bag only, maybe next year , no plans at the moment for multi night hiking so Ill live with the extra weight for now.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

If you are going to try a tarp and sleeping bag really think about the wind. Wind will get to you no matter how close you can get the tarp to the ground. Pile stuff up around you or try pick as sheltered spot as you can. It's not very comfortable but saving the weight of a tent is well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

hanksy123 wrote: »
    If you are going to try a tarp and sleeping bag really think about the wind. Wind will get to you no matter how close you can get the tarp to the ground. Pile stuff up around you or try pick as sheltered spot as you can. It's not very comfortable but saving the weight of a tent is well worth it.

I was reading a few hiking blogs and I accept the point that a tent seals you away from your surroundings, it seems like a tarp offers the opportunity to have a better feel of the outdoors (within reason :pac: )

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Mac2010

Sorry for hijacking this thread just didn't want to start new thread.

Has anyone used ForceTen Helium series tent before?

Advertisement