Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying as a mature student through the CAO?

Options
  • 14-08-2013 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I know I'm early but I will be applying to Mary I as a mature student next year for the B. Ed programme. (I started it in 2005 and dropped out in 2007).

From looking at the site, it says that there are 3 ways to apply.

- Through the CAO
    - Directly to the college
    - Both of the above

If I go through CAO, does that mean that I will be judged on the points I got in my leaving cert & will there still be an interview involved?

Thanks
    IT9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Intouch9 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I know I'm early but I will be applying to Mary I as a mature student next year for the B. Ed programme. (I started it in 2005 and dropped out in 2007).

From looking at the site, it says that there are 3 ways to apply.

- Through the CAO
    - Directly to the college
    - Both of the above

If I go through CAO, does that mean that I will be judged on the points I got in my leaving cert & will there still be an interview involved?

Thanks
    IT9
    If you are applying through CAO as a mature student you will be assessed as a mature student and with your leaving results, basically you will have 2 chances. Most colleges do interviews for mature student entry

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Intouch9

That's really helpful, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭sugoo69

Hiya - if you complete the CAO form and tick the little box at the bottom as a mature student you can be considered as a mature student. You can include any exam results you have and a personal profile. Its not to daunting once you get started. Applying direct may cost you more in the long run, not sure.
    My son applied direct to UL as a mature student total cost was €100 once he was excepted. I did a CAO application as a mature student to WIT which cost just €40ish at time of application
    We both got what we wanted so both methods seem to work he only paid once he had been offered a place where as I paid less upfront but didnt have place when I paid the money.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Intouch9

Cool, thanks so much, that's really helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LINE45

Hi all, anyone going to transition to university in UCC next week? Just wondering is it for two full days or two half days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

LINE45 wrote: »
    Hi all, anyone going to transition to university in UCC next week? Just wondering is it for two full days or two half days.

The regular orientation days are finished at half 3 so I'd imagine it be the about the same for the T2U days.

Advertisement