Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a suggestion

Options
  • 14-08-2013 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭

After last night I observed spammers spamming the Spammer Notification thread. Could there be a certain post count implemented to stop this from happening again? It would make mods and admins jobs a little bit easier.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

KKkitty wrote: »
    After last night I observed spammers spamming the Spammer Notification thread. Could there be a certain post count implemented to stop this from happening again? It would make mods and admins jobs a little bit easier.

If we're thinking of the same person, that's just one troll who keeps coming back again and again. If he can't post here or in After Hours he'll just do it on another forum instead. Someone always gets him with 9 red cards before he can do any real damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

If we're thinking of the same person, that's just one troll who keeps coming back again and again. If he can't post here or in After Hours he'll just do it on another forum instead. Someone always gets him with 9 red cards before he can do any real damage.

It must annoy mods and admins though. Ye have enough to do here after all.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It must annoy mods and admins though. Ye have enough to do here after all.
    Not really, it's far easier for us to ban them than it is for them to keep on re-registering. It takes about 5 second to ban someone and takes probably more than 15 minutes to register an account.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Obvious re-regs like that which you mention don't really waste any time. As hullaballoo suggests, it only takes seconds to permaban an account.

And as several admins subscribe to that thread, the axe is never long in falling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I think this may have come up before, and the general feedback was that it would be very frustrating for people who just wanted to find out how to, well, they just wanted to find out something quick and didn't want to have to make ten spam posts for example before they could start a thread to ask a question.

I've thought about it myself, and while Aardvark is handy for catching spambots, I was thinking could there be a minimum post requirement before a person is allowed start a thread in a high traffic forum such as After Hours.

This might also encourage the use of the search function (bad and all as it is on the touch site!).

The devs would probably keel over at the thoughts though with over 800 forums to analyse for traffic patterns as to what's considered high volume, etc.

• Advertisement

I understand completely. Thought it was somewhat of an annoyance for mods and admins controlling their respective forums and dealing with re regs trolling too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I was thinking could there be a minimum post requirement before a person is allowed start a thread in a high traffic forum such as After Hours.

Good god no ,the re-regs and trolls would only go and spam other forums.

returnNull wrote: »
    Good god no ,the re-regs and trolls would only go and spam other forums.

Yes but their impact wouldn't be noticed on a low traffic forum, so they'd be less inclined to troll when they lack maximum exposure.

Re-regs out themselves by constantly pushing the "they haven't caught me yet, I'm so clever" envelope, they start to believe their own hype and aren't long going back to their old ways, they can't help themselves :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yes but their impact wouldn't be noticed on a low traffic forum, so they'd be less inclined to troll when they lack maximum exposure.

Re-regs out themselves by constantly pushing the "they haven't caught me yet, I'm so clever" envelope, they start to believe their own hype and aren't long going back to their old ways, they can't help themselves :D

You'd be surprised. The guy who inspired the OP here plastered the entire front page of the Literature forum 2 weeks ago! :eek:

The fact that I remember the event is proof that I really need to sort my life out... >_<

You'd be surprised. The guy who inspired the OP here plastered the entire front page of the Literature forum 2 weeks ago! :eek:

What is the actual point of that if it's water off a ducks back as far as mods and admins are concerned. Never got the point of re regs or trolling.

• Advertisement

What is the actual point of that if it's water off a ducks back as far as mods and admins are concerned. Never got the point of re regs or trolling.

Narcisscism KK IMO, they'll get more attention by being a disruption rather than a contributor is the way their mind works, two fingers to "the man" and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,126 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

After last night I observed spammers spamming the Spammer Notification thread.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQm5hRLCscJpdw7zSqbN7JIMaGT0iZu9CMAwBwc-d44aAlDZ-CtbQ

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I was thinking could there be a minimum post requirement before a person is allowed start a thread in a high traffic forum such as After Hours.
    The only people this would inconvenience would be genuine new users. It would be absolutely trivial to adjust a spam-bot to adhere to that rule

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement