Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread III

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Aidric wrote: »
    Who pioneered this 'things we learned' craze? It's all over sports reporting like a rash these days. I have a feeling it was the Guardian.

A blog is hardly indicative of the wider state of 'sports reporting' but I believe the reasons behind it are two fold, firstly people love lists, they're more shareable and clickable on social, which is where a lot of outlets get their majority of clicks, and therefore online ad revenue from.

Secondly, it's easier, quicker and clearer than putting all of the above into a match report.

Doesn't really work as well in print though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

A blog is hardly indicative of the wider state of 'sports reporting' but I believe the reasons behind it are two fold, firstly people love lists, they're more shareable and clickable on social, which is where a lot of outlets get their majority of clicks, and therefore online ad revenue from.

Secondly, it's easier, quicker and clearer than putting all of the above into a match report.

Doesn't really work as well in print though.

Not just blogs, I've seen it in a few of the British dailies, hence my question. You're assertion that people like lists I agree with. The Journal thrives on it.

Aidric wrote: »
    Not just blogs, I've seen it in a few of the British dailies, hence my question. You're assertion that people like lists I agree with. The Journal thrives on it.

Aye The Journal does it a lot, there's a site btw that has really gone down the pan. Some of the rugby stuff is shocking.

The likes of Buzzfeed & Mashable are leading the way in this type of list stuff, and particularly lists with photo galleries which you have to click, therefore refreshing page, meaning more ad impressions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

I saw the photographer line this on up, great shot. Though, I thought he was so close he might put JJ off.

BS_WRPCIAAAU6ej.jpg

Here's another one, which imho is an illegal throw, yet the same AR flagged CJ as being in touch when it was fairly clear to all he wasn't. CJ was lying on the gorund, kept himself in play to feed the ball back the scrumhalf, this could actually be the resulting throw :(

BS8zx2hCcAEqSaC.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Scan for BJB tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Scan for BJB tomorrow.

Watching BJ at the time of the injury I'd be sure he knows he did damage. Hope he's okay but I think he'll be out for a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

phog wrote: »
    Watching BJ at the time of the injury I'd be sure he knows he did damage. Hope he's okay but I think he'll be out for a few weeks.

Descriptions of his reaction reminded me of Wally in the pre-world cup game v England. Hope it's nowhere near as serious!

athtrasna wrote: »
    Descriptions of his reaction reminded me of Wally in the pre-world cup game v England. Hope it's nowhere near as serious!

Would you believe it I was driving down from Dublin that day and heard about his injury on the radio and to this day I think I never watched that game even though I had it recorded.

In saying that I reckon Wally's reaction and injury were worse but BJ thumped the ground with his fist a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Scan for BJB tomorrow.

If it's knee ligaments it's more than a month, no?

durkadurka wrote: »
    If it's knee ligaments it's more than a month, no?

If it's a tear or rupture it could be nine months? :(

(a la Luke Fitzgerald a few seasons back)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

That is the fear, it could be medical joker time for Munster. Could be difficult to get anyone this close to the season's start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Stephen-Archer.aspx

Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence....would feel better if Thomond pitched up with the Bull actually :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It'd be nice to see Archer and Ryan get use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Well he's definitely improved.... whether it's enough, I can't say.

Backup beyond him is pretty minimal, Ryan's done okay from time to time, but he's still posing as ambipropstrous and I don't know if that's good for someone like him. Jack of all trades, master of none, it could turn out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence....would feel better if Thomond pitched up with the Bull actually :)

We'll have to see how Archer fares under the new scrum laws, but at the end of last season there were definitely corners (not me) beginning to call for Archer to start ahead of Botha. He was involved in the scoring of something like 4 penalty tries last year, so he's obviously improving.

Even if Archer does come good, if Botha is out, another TH is needed. Some experience would be badly needed if Botha can't play.

Is there anyone available at this stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

You can borrow Michael Bent.

We'll have to see how Archer fares under the new scrum laws, but at the end of last season there were definitely corners (not me) beginning to call for Archer to start ahead of Botha. He was involved in the scoring of something like 4 penalty tries last year, so he's obviously improving.

Even if Archer does come good, if Botha is out, another TH is needed. Some experience would be badly needed if Botha can't play.

I'm sorry, I phrased it incorrectly. Archer is turning into a decent prop. Will even be making Irish squads this season probably....and that's where our problems lie. If he's away for the Autumn internationals we are short on experienced cover

Hagz wrote: »
    You can borrow Michael Bent.

Do you know what scares me?.....it's a bloody possibility! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The depth at prop is going to stretch things to the limit. In a way, it will be great that guys like Ryan and Cronin are going to get lot of exposure. There are only 6 senior props. If Killer and Archer are with Ireland and Botha is injured, Munster will need to dip into the academy to supply their match day squad.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. If Botha is out long term, I'm sure Penney is already sniffing around to see who is available as a replacement on a short term contract.

Some pics of the game from MR - more here.

inpho_00731218_NEW.jpg

inpho_00731226.jpg

inpho_00731299.jpg

and finally :(

inpho_00731290.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

munster strip is nice. simple jersey, nice colour

Scoring Sequence and scores from LI Website

Score sequence (London Irish first) 3-0, 3-3, 6-3, 13-3, 13-8, 13-15, 13-20, 13-27

Scorers:
    London Irish: Penalties: Humphreys (4, 46); Tries: Evans (50); Conversions: Humphreys;

Munster: Penalties: Keatley (38); Tries:O'Mahony (54, 76, 80), Hanrahan (72); Conversions: Hanrahan (2)

That 4 minutes between their try and out forst try seemed like an eternity.

Also, I saw in a match report yesterday that Hagan came on at halftime but was subbed again on the 44th minute, no wonder I couldn't recall him in an earlier post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

ya have to say that TOL looks in good shape, wierd to see him play against Munster?

Any news on Botha's scan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭kub

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    ya have to say that TOL looks in good shape, wierd to see him play against Munster?

He was there too last year for that pre season friendly as well, I must say he got a fantastic reception from the crowd when he was announced on the big screen, only reason he did not get one this year was because the screen was not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

athtrasna wrote: »
    Any news on Botha's scan?

Indo are saying today that Munster are hoping he will be back for Leinster match (missing 4). Said it was a knee strain. Great news if correct.

Great news on Botha if true. This also will give Archer a run of starts to challenge Botha.

• Advertisement

A reminder that the MRSC AGM is being held tonight in Charleville.
    w80_f_image_6_31564_disp.jpg

The Annual General Meeting of the Munster Rugby Supporters Club will be tonight Wednesday 4th September at 7.30 pm in The Charleville Park Hotel.

Under the Constitution of the club, attendance at the AGM is open to Full Members only.

The date for submission of nominations for the position of Honorary Secretary and Committee members of the club and motions for consideration has now passed.

As the number of nominations equals the number of places on Committee - there will not be a requirement for an election at the AGM.

Order of Business

- Welcome address from Chairman

- Honorary Secretary ratified

- Moment of reflection

- Adoption of minutes of previous AGM (available on mrsc.ie)

- Chairman’s Report

- Secretary’s Report

- Treasurer’s Report

- End of Year Audited Accounts

- Committee Appointed & Ratified

- Presentation by Munster Rugby Financial Controller regarding MRSC funding to Munster Rugby

jm08 wrote: »
    Indo are saying today that Munster are hoping he will be back for Leinster match (missing 4). Said it was a knee strain. Great news if correct.

That's good news if it's based on the results of the scan.

Are you a big MRSC head phog? We may have mutual acquaintances!

If BJ is going to be missing for 4 weeks during the season then this is the perfect time for it. So not that bad. Any time after the Leinster match he'd be sorely missed, but before Munster aren't even likely to put their strongest XV out anyway.

Knew you had some sort of a red streak in you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

jm08 wrote: »

There's a bit of 2+2=5 from that article imo. It looks like they are regurgitating what Penney said after the match about Botha missing ~4weeks, and using the fact that he went in for a scan yesterday as proof. All a bit wishy-washy.

• Advertisement

Yeah you might be right there, the following line might indicate that:

'He had a scan yesterday, but the hope is...'

Plus you have to look at the author of the piece.

Also says that Munster will likely have little or none of the Irish internationals back for Friday, presumeably that's the same for all 4 provinces.

Not on the committee if that's what you mean. Been a member for yonks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Botha out for a minimum of 4 weeks. Earls back in full contact training.

Rob Penney met with media after the session and provided an update on BJ Botha who suffered a grade 2 medial ligament injury to the right knee on Friday night against London Irish, and is expected to be side-lined for a minimum of four weeks.

I hate the minimum of 4 weeks :( If he's delayed coming back we're up to H/cup games and whatever about Archer we're scaping the barrell for a replacement on the bench.

Great to see Earls back training, here's hoping he has a full year without injury.

• Advertisement

I posted about this on Pro12 thread but as we're the first Irish team to meet up with either of the Italian teams in Italy does anyone know how to tune in Italia 2 on the Sky box?
    RaboDirect PRO12 had concluded a TV rights agreement with Italian terrestrial TV broadcaster Mediaset to show all Italian home RaboDirect PRO12 games for both Italian PRO12 teams, Benetton Treviso and Zebre on channel Italia 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Newtown90

phog wrote: »
    I posted about this on Pro12 thread but as we're the first Irish team to meet up with either of the Italian teams in Italy does anyone know how to tune in Italia 2 on the Sky box?

Not possible mate

Italia2 is on 13 east hotbird

You would need to move your dish and have another sat box.

I have it off my motorised setup so it's handy

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Not possible mate

Italia2 is on 13 east hotbird

You would need to move your dish and have another sat box.

I have it off my motorised setup so it's handy

That's not what I wanted to hear :(

The Red Scare interviews Cathal Sheridan

picture-12.png
    Cathal Sheridan has come a long way in one season. He went from the B&I Cup to a Heineken Cup bench spot and impressed a hell of a lot of people along the way.

If his performances in both friendly victories so far this season is anything to go by, he’s started this season with the same excellence that he ended the last. He’s a guy who’s sure to see a lot of game time this season in both the Pro12 and Heineken Cup.

We asked him a few questions over the weekend after another impressive display against London Irish.

Blogs being allowed to interview players, you wouldn't have seen that in the days of Pat Geraghty

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He was probably annoyed that the bloggers had a higher standard of writing and journalism than him.

that's a very good interview

Great interview that. Honest to god, the rugby blogs and young journalists (Murray Kinsella, Cian Treacy etc) in this country are light years ahead of some of the 'established' names, and aren't shackled either.

Wonder how does a blog get access to a player for interview? Via Munster or through the player's agent?

Paulie said on Newstalk this morning that he's not allowed back until Round 4 of the Rabo under player rest rules.

Great interview that. Honest to god, the rugby blogs and young journalists (Murray Kinsella, Cian Treacy etc) in this country are light years ahead of some of the 'established' names, and aren't shackled either.

Wonder how does a blog get access to a player for interview? Via Munster or through the player's agent?

via Munster in the past anyway. Ringing Pat Geraghty is not a nice experience

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement