Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Holland to Pau is definitely not happening so.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Hagz wrote: »
    Ahem Olding Ahem.

I have to ask as I don't know that much about him. Is he that good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Stan27 wrote: »
    I have to ask as I don't know that much about him. Is he that good?

Pretty much. Got his first appearance off the bench for Ulster at 18, playing out-half, and he looked pretty tidy.
    Played for the Irish u20s in the JWC a year young.
    The next year, at 19, he filled in for Luke Marshall and played brilliantly. Missed the u20s JWC because he was over with the Ireland squad in America. Then this year he carried on that good form and played probably his best game ever at full-back before his injury.

He's a very smart player, versatile and has a really good step. If you look him up on Youtube there's a video of him stepping about 3 Leicester players in succession. He came on off the bench in last year's HC quarter final against Saracens and created a try.

Jared Payne has said he's the brightest young talent in Ulster at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Your claim that the IRFU staff are behaving disgracefully is at odds with the decision to withdraw Henshaw.

I said it was disgraceful in the case of the two players stated and I still stand by that. Even more so when you consider its for an Emerging Ireland squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Depends doesn't it. On whether the two lads need surgery. Only people who say they need surgery are people on here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I said it was disgraceful in the case of the two players stated and I still stand by that. Even more so when you consider its for an Emerging Ireland squad.

Except you don't have access to their medical history, the IRFU do.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Except you don't have access to their medical history, the IRFU do.

the same medical staff that were involved with treating POC for the same condition. Remind me how that turned out?

Hagz wrote: »
    Depends doesn't it. On whether the two lads need surgery. Only people who say they need surgery are people on here.

I said rest or operation, in fact any sort of treatment not continuing something that is likely to make it worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

the same medical staff that were involved with treating POC for the same condition. Remind me how that turned out?

He got an infection after being given a steroid injection. This can happen to anyone, it had nothing to do with the doctors, or his condition. Its a known risk with those sort of injections something like 1 in 1000.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Have just spotted that J Brugnaut is on the bench for the BaaBaa's today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Have just spotted that J Brugnaut is on the bench for the BaaBaa's today

Who now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Who now?

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/rugby/first_team_squad.php?player=10753&includeref=dynamic

Julien Brugnaut. Played for us in the 09/10 season. He's with Racing Metro now.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/rugby/first_team_squad.php?player=10753&includeref=dynamic

Julien Brugnaut. Played for us in the 09/10 season. He's with Racing Metro now.

Our most successful French import :)

WestViewTerrace's end of season blog

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Aaaand the Munster stats for kickers this season. Only did Pro12 because, like Ulster, with two kickers on the field it can be hard to find out who missed which kick and I'm just not going into that detail!

Hanrahan, as we know, had a serious season off the tee with 87% off the tee. IK not quite as prolific although he has improved in the second half of the season almost identically to Jackson and finishes with 72%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Buer wrote: »
    Aaaand the Munster stats for kickers this season. Only did Pro12 because, like Ulster, with two kickers on the field it can be hard to find out who missed which kick and I'm just not going into that detail!

Hanrahan, as we know, had a serious season off the tee with 87% off the tee. IK not quite as prolific although he has improved in the second half of the season almost identically to Jackson and finishes with 72%.

Could be wrong but think JJ got the golden boot this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Eod100 wrote: »
    Could be wrong but think JJ got the golden boot this season?

Yup. Which is why it was so easy to get his stats! Pro12 site has them freely available.

As I posted on the Ulster thread though, interestingly, if James McKinney was allowed take 7 more kicks this season, it's likely he'd have won it. Bit of a bizarre situation if it had come to pass but there you are!

Interesting to see Munster play a pre-season game in Waterford. Wonder is it out of necessity due to Musgrave Park redevelopment or aimed at bringing it to grounds outside of Cork/Limerick.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/18622.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#.U5B-UPldXsY

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Interesting to see Munster play a pre-season game in Waterford. Wonder is it out of necessity due to Musgrave Park redevelopment or aimed at bringing it to grounds outside of Cork/Limerick.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/18622.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#.U5B-UPldXsY

Probably a bit of both, I spoke with a guy in Waterford after our B&I cup game there last season and he said MR were very happy with the facilities there and at the time he hoped they'd bring a preseason game there.

With MP being redeveloped this was an ideal opportunity to try it.

Will be great for that neck of the woods to get a game.

phog wrote: »
    Probably a bit of both, I spoke with a guy in Waterford after our B&I cup game there last season and he said MR were very happy with the facilities there and at the time he hoped they'd bring a preseason game there.

With MP being redeveloped this was an ideal opportunity to try it.

Will be great for that neck of the woods to get a game.

to be fair the B&I games have been well supported when moved around the provinces. A B&I or pre season is the most that will be moved outside MP or TP for a long time due to sponsor commitments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Delighted with this. Nice not to have to travel for a game. Hopefully there will be a big crowd at the game and that they will bring more games to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Tough draw in the European Cup, kind of serves us right for not taking as much interest as we should in the Rabo but some cracking games, so glad I kept my membership up.

I'd love to go to Clermont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'd love to go to Clermont.

Now you have your chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Munster will play this season's Heineken Cup and English Premiership runners-up Saracens, French giants Clermont and Sale Sharks.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/heineken-cup/2014/0610/622838-european-rugby-champions-cup-draw/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Can't see Munster topping that group anyway. For all their problems Clermont have still only lost 1 pool game in the last 2 seasons so will be very tough and Saracens will also be very tough too.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Can't see Munster topping that group anyway. For all their problems Clermont have still only lost 1 pool game in the last 2 seasons so will be very tough and Saracens will also be very tough too.

Wouldn't expect them to top the group but think 2nd place is doable (will be tough no doubt tho)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Even second place will be a big ask I think. The best thing that could happen would be if Saracens and Clermont both lose their away games to each other meaning that if Munster just win their home games and beat Sale away then it'd all come down to bonus points. If either Saracens or Clermont win their two games against each other I think Munster will really struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Horrible group. Ridiculous that three of the top four sides in Europe over the last two years are in the same group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Horrible group. Ridiculous that three of the top four sides in Europe over the last two years are in the same group.

Competition is a bit of a joke now. Munster should concentrate on the domestic league ahead of this shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Clermont are fading and Sale are beatable,if Munster beat Sarries once there's no reason they can't take second place and one of the three runner-up spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Tough group but what else was going to be format for draw? They were hardly going to use rankings from HEC now
    Rightwing wrote: »
    Competition is a bit of a joke now. Munster should concentrate on the domestic league ahead of this shambles.
    It isn't a joke now and while Munster need to up their game in pro12 they still need to do well in this as its this "shambles" where the real €€€s can be made

Tough group but what else was going to be format for draw? They were hardly going to use rankings from HEC now
    It isn't a joke now and while Munster need to up their game in pro12 they still need to do well in this as its this "shambles" where the real €€€s can be made

You need to be getting home semi-finals though for the money, has that been addressed?

Like it or not, seeding is based on domestic performance and therefore there was always a chance of this happening. The Pro12 badly needs a boost like this (it's certainly not going to come in the form of high profile player recruitment).

Saracens will be very difficult. No doubt about that.

Clermont are on the decline and/or in a transition phase. Look at the signings they have made and compare them to Racing and Toulon's. They've lost a lot of key players because they're too old now and their replacements have a lot to live up to. It's a good time to draw them and I'd take them over a Racing side with a motivated Jonny Sexton.

I've seen very little of Sale but they seemed to have successfully rehabbed Danny Cipriani's career so that's a tricky prospect.

Tough prospect but really exciting. It could be worse, look at what Ulster got (albeit they're in Tier 3).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Why is it a joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Absolutely. I can just imagine O'Mahony giving the pre-game talk now;
    "Right lads, Toulon are here now, they're the reigning French and European champions and there's 27,000 proud Munster fans out there baying for blood, but let's not tire ourselves out cos we need to be fresh for Zebre next week."

Grimebox wrote: »
    Why is it a joke?

Money all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

The wonderful, hilarious irony of this is that it was Munster's collapse in the domestic league in its closing stages that brought them to this position.

Jaysus...can we not leave this kinda ****e out of ANY thread?

• Advertisement

Absolutely. I can just imagine O'Mahony giving the pre-game talk now;
    "Right lads, Toulon are here now, they're the reigning French and European champions and there's 27,000 proud Munster fans out there baying for blood, but let's not tire ourselves out cos we need to be fresh for Zebre next week."

The wonderful, hilarious irony of this is that it was Munster's collapse in the domestic league in its closing stages that brought them to this position.

Probably concentrated too much on the H cup knockout, which was inherently flawed with the inevitable away 'coin toss'.

Riskymove wrote: »
    Jaysus...can we not leave this kinda ****e out of ANY thread?

Whether it's a dig or not (it's not), it's a fact! That home loss to Glasgow cost us a Tier 1 spot (hindsight is 20/20 vision of course etc).

A lot will depend on the order of matches. Ideally we would start with a home match against Saracens or Clermont with a trip to Sale. Get two wins under the belt (hopefully 9 points) and go from there.

I for one am looking forward to this group, huge upheaval at Clermont for next season, Sarries are strong, but very beatable & imo, we'll be a stronger unit next season with our new signings.
    I could see the top 3 sides all dropping points away, so our home bp wins are going to be very important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Probably concentrated too much on the H cup knockout, which was inherently flawed with the inevitable away 'coin toss'.

It was totally rigged, the whole thing was set up to shaft Munster from the get go, beginning with the outrageously tough pool draw. Gloucester, Edinburgh AND Perpignan?? It's hard to know which is tougher, that pool or next year's one, it's no wonder they were knackered by the end.

3 from 5 runners up go through as opposed to 2 from 6 previously.

I'm guessing 4 wins (16 points) with a few BPs should be enough. Get 9 versus sale and that leaves 9 or 10 to get in four matches. A losing bonus point at both Clermont and Saracens could be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Money all the way.

I haven't really followed this tournaments formation so I wouldn't know about the politics. How has the money spoiled things?

Is there anything wrong with the qualification and format? It looks more competitive to me if anything by reducing numbers and forcing more difficult qualifications on the Pro12 teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Grimebox wrote: »
    Is there anything wrong with the qualification and format? It looks more competitive to me if anything by reducing numbers and forcing more difficult qualifications on the Pro12 teams

No it's simply a more competitive competition

is it harder for the likes of Munster?...sure.....but it's also harder for the others...unfortunately, we Irish tend to have an exaggerated pessimistic view

We shouldn't be fearing Sarries or Clermont coming to Thomond...it should be the other way around.......tbh it's gonna improves things immensely in terms of good games and atmospheres

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Riskymove wrote: »
    No it's simply a more competitive competition

is it harder for the likes of Munster?...sure.....but it's also harder for the others...unfortunately, we Irish tend to have an exaggerated pessimistic view

We shouldn't be fearing Sarries or Clermont coming to Thomond...it should be the other way around.......tbh it's gonna improves things immensely in terms of good games and atmospheres

Hard to say for definite but you'd imagine Munster will have to win away against either Sarries of Clermont to go through, not impossible at all but still a tough enough draw. I'm an eternal optimist and hope they can do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

stephen_n wrote: »
    Hard to say for definite but you'd imagine Munster will have to win away against either Sarries of Clermont to go through, not impossible at all but still a tough enough draw. I'm an eternal optimist and hope they can do it!

As said by someone else above less points are likely to be needed to be a best runner up 9 points from Sale and 9 from the other four games should do it for Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

stephen_n wrote: »

If they win their home games I don't think they'll need to beat either away. Just Sale and pick up LBPs away to the others.

But if they lose at home to any of the teams then I'd say they'll need to win in London or CF.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement