Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread III

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Grimebox wrote: »
    I haven't really followed this tournaments formation so I wouldn't know about the politics. How has the money spoiled things?

Is there anything wrong with the qualification and format? It looks more competitive to me if anything by reducing numbers and forcing more difficult qualifications on the Pro12 teams

It's definitely more competitive, that should favour big teams with big budgets, slowing eroding the Irish, and they won't even know it.

I for one am looking forward to this group, huge upheaval at Clermont for next season, Sarries are strong, but very beatable & imo, we'll be a stronger unit next season with our new signings.
    I could see the top 3 sides all dropping points away, so our home bp wins are going to be very important.

I agree, tough groups and easy groups, we can make too much out of it.

It's things like coin tosses for semifinals they should be eliminating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Rightwing wrote: »
    I agree, tough groups and easy groups, we can make too much out of it.

It's things like coin tosses for semifinals they should be eliminating.

There was never a coin toss for any semi final.

But I don't really think I want to get involved in this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

If they win their home games I don't think they'll need to beat either away. .

it's not that clear cut

losing two games makes getting at least second difficult (unless you are getting BP wins against the better teams which is unlikely)

you'd need one of the other two to do a double over the other

I think he just means the open draw for home semis which is a virtual coin-toss....pure luck not based on anything

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Whether it's a dig or not (it's not), it's a fact! That home loss to Glasgow cost us a Tier 1 spot (hindsight is 20/20 vision of course etc).

A lot will depend on the order of matches. Ideally we would start with a home match against Saracens or Clermont with a trip to Sale. Get two wins under the belt (hopefully 9 points) and go from there.

Munster did really fall apart towards the end of the season alright. We had the table all but wrapped up until a few terrible performances coupled with two refereeing disasters. Former Legend is forgetting how different things could have been had Allain Rolland not been there to give his old side the assist against Munster.

You may be just getting a little confused with the CL home and away system, which I'd deem a little fairer. Or else, possibly splitting hairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Its an awful group, and one you'd imagine the organisers wanted to avoid. It does them no good having three of the best four teams in Europe battling it out in the group stages.

Riskymove wrote: »
    I think he just means the open draw for home semis which is a virtual coin-toss....pure luck not based on anything

It was either that or use pool seedings to decide. They decided the pools were so uneven that it would be unfair to allow pool seedings to decide home advantage and that it should be randomised. Which it was.

I assumed by his use of "coin toss" in quotations that he was implying it was rigged against Munster. But of course it was a live draw on television and Munster got a home semi final just a few years ago.

I understand why they made it random, I think it would be fine either way. They could base it on pool seedings now, but even now some pools are tougher than others, although not to the same extent thanks to the changes.

Its an awful group, and one you'd imagine the organisers wanted to avoid. It does them no good having three of the best four teams in Europe battling it out in the group stages.

I disagree

I think they'll be loving the drama and ratings...it'll be hyped up on TV no end

The Munster and Ulster pools will be the prime targets for TV

• Advertisement

It looks a bit silly alright, but these tough groups, teams will take points everyone. Def an away q/f though.

If they were three of the best teams in Europe, then one shouldn't have let themselves end up in Tier 2 and the other in Tier 3, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Munster did really fall apart towards the end of the season alright. We had the table all but wrapped up until a few terrible performances coupled with two refereeing disasters. Former Legend is forgetting how different things could have been had Allain Rolland not been there to give his old side the assist against Munster.

I don't think he's forgetting anything since that didn't happen.

It was either that or use pool seedings to decide.

indeed and either way Munster would have been away to Toulon

however, over the years Pool seedings may have been seen to be fairer given how badly Munster made out in the random draws

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Munster were doing very well for the first part of the season but you could argue that they'd slightly easier fixtures than their competitors and that their run in was slightly harder. I suppose it's easier to scape goat Rolland though :pac:

It makes the group stage alot more interesting for fans and even neutrals.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Munster were doing very well for the first part of the season but you could argue that they'd slightly easier fixtures than their competitors and that their run in was slightly harder. I suppose it's easier to scape goat Rolland though :pac:

It makes the group stage alot more interesting for fans and even neutrals.

I think the groups were always very interesting, down to the last minute stuff. Even when a group was won, like this season, everything was to play for in terms of home q/f etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think it's always good to have one group of death as it really adds spice to the group stages though.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think it's always good to have one group of death as it really adds spice to the group stages though.

Ulster's group looks just as hard I think, if not harder.

Yeah it does so Ulster and Munster's group would be getting the better TV slots than the Northampton group I'd say. Thomond or Kingspan should get at least 1 of not 2 Sat 6pm KO's and no Sunday 1pm KO's.

It looks a bit silly alright, but these tough groups, teams will take points everyone. Def an away q/f though.

Lads

I tell ya what, why don't we start a petition to have us put in the Amlin instead so we can have "easy" games

maybe we can swap with Connacht whose supporters would might be happier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Can us Munster supporters honestly complain about this after the group we got last season?

I feel for Leicester and Ulster, Leicester in particular seem to get horror groups every year.

Lads

I tell ya what, why don't we start a petition to have us put in the Amlin instead so we can have "easy" games

maybe we can swap with Connacht whose supporters would might be happier

I'm not complaining about out group. Ulster's is probably tougher. What I'd like changed is the semi final situation. An absolute joke.

What I'd like changed is the semi final situation. An absolute joke.

changed to what?

changed to what?

home and away.

home and away.

while it's probably the fairest an extra weekend is tough to fit into the schedule tbh

the recent playoff for the ERC was certainly an exciting two legs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

home and away.

Home and away semis sounds like a horrible solution to me.

home and away.

Firstly, home and away does not work in rugby. And the competitions which use it have proven that imo. It works in soccer just about, but rugby scoring does not suit it due to how dependent on conditions scores can be.

Secondly, there is absolutely no space in the calendar for it. It's a poor solution to the problem.

its catch 22

if we beat Toulon away by a point and then lost at home I'd be fairly sick

It's a poor solution to the problem.

tbh taking all the circumstances into account a neutral or pre-determined venue is probably best for fairness if not for fans

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

I don't think anyone seriously wants that (because it's an awful, awful idea), but it doesn't even solve the problem, since you still have to toss a coin/draw lots etc to decide the order of the games. The team who is at home in the second leg will have the advantage so the fauxtrage at "unfair" coin tosses will continue.

its catch 22

if we beat Toulon away by a point and then lost at home I'd be fairly sick

It's fairer though, look at chelsea this season, went away to athletico, drew 0-0 and lost at home. Can have no complaints in that situation.

tbh taking all the circumstances into account a neutral or pre-determined venue is probably best for fairness if not for fans

I don't think that would work if you end up with empty stadiums for semi finals.

For me they should either carry pool seedings through to the semi-finals or else draw it at random. People will complain either way.

It's fairer though, look at chelsea this season, went away to athletico, drew 0-0 and lost at home. Can have no complaints in that situation.

That is a completely different sport. It doesn't apply in the same way to rugby. Especially when you look at the difference in weather between somewhere like Toulouse and Glasgow in April.

I don't think that would work if you end up with empty stadiums for semi finals.

why would you have empty stadiums?

I went all the way to marseille this year

For me they should either carry pool seedings through to the semi-finals or else draw it at random. People will complain either way.

I agree here, rugby isn't big enough for neutral venues.

• Advertisement

why would you have empty stadiums?

I went all the way to marseille this year

Munster are the best fans for travelling, followed probably by the other Irish provinces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Munster are the best fans for travelling, followed probably by the other Irish provinces.

Clermont have to be up there

Clermont have to be up there

Only at home. Remember the semi v Sarries at Twickenham, that's what you'd be seeing unless Munster were involved.

a bit of creativity is all thats needed

play them as a double header in same venue

wouldn't Toulon vs Munster and Clermont vs Sarries both in Cardiff or Paris get a good crowd?

wouldn't Toulon vs Munster and Clermont vs Sarries both in Cardiff or Paris get a good crowd?

Good idea, but would have to be in Cardiff to eliminate the advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Only at home. Remember the semi v Sarries at Twickenham, that's what you'd be seeing unless Munster were involved.

That's true. I was just thinking of the invasion when they were playing in Dublin. Temple Bar was blue and yellow

That's true. I was just thinking of the invasion when they were playing in Dublin. Temple Bar was blue and yellow

Like all French supporters, they make a hell of a noise, even when completely outnumbered.

Good idea, but would have to be in Cardiff to eliminate the advantage.

not really

once the allocations are done right

I dont think that playing in places like Paris or Twickers is any great advantage to the teams from that country

on eof the biggest issues tof ans travelling to places like Toulon is alck of options

London and Paris have plenty and would not have the extreme costs associated with more remote or smaller locations

in my experience QF and SF trips are far more expensive and difficult than the Finals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

There is absolutely no permutation of matches that will be absolutely fool-proof against someone finding something to give out and about and claim their team was harshly treated.

So in your example; play it in Cardiff; advantage for Munster and Sarries, but play it in Paris, advantage Clermont and Toulon.

Wait until the teams are known to get truly 'neutral' venues? Not enough time to market it, huge swathes of empty seats.

The third option is that people could just get on with it and stop whinging. Crazy, I know.

not really

once the allocations are done right

I dont think that playing in places like Paris or Twickers is any great advantage to the teams from that country

on eof the biggest issues tof ans travelling to places like Toulon is alck of options

London and Paris have plenty and would not have the extreme costs associated with more remote or smaller locations

in my experience QF and SF trips are far more expensive and difficult than the Finals

Well, would playing in the Aviva be an advantage for Munster v Clermont in a semi ?

New Munster Rugby Head Coach, Anthony Foley, described his side’s opposition in Pool 1 of the new European Rugby Champions Cup as “three handy teams”.

A master of the understatement, the man who led Munster to the first of their two European triumphs in Cardiff in 2006 went on to describe Saracens, ASM Clermont Auvergne and Sale Sharks as “fearsome opposition”.

“We have picked up three of the best teams in Europe in our pool and looking at the rest of the tournament I think this is an even stronger draw than in previous years,” said Foley.

“We have six massive games ahead of us and we will be looking to them all. I’m sure there are a few teams who won’t be too happy about having Munster in their pool.

“We have met them all before in Europe and I’m sure our fans will travel in big numbers to Manchester, London and Clermont. And if Saracens fancy taking our game to Wembley, then that will be fine with us.

“It’s not a decision for us, but all the players love to play in big stadia and in big games. And all the games in our pool will be big games.

“Having grown up at the club it is going to be a huge honour for me to coach the team next season. I certainly won’t be underestimating the size of the task, but we have a good group of players which has been around for a while.

“We want to be playing in the big finals in May and to do that we are going to have to stop teams scoring easy points against us. We need to rectify that, especially when it comes to playing in the Champions Cup.”

Well, would playing in the Aviva be an advantage for Munster v Clermont in a semi ?

would it? how many times have Munster won there?

yes we'd have extra support but not as much when there are 4 teams than just 2 involved

there would still be some element of chance of course but then again the same aplies to the final which is pre-determined and could be an advantage to one team...no one complains

New Munster Rugby Head Coach, Anthony Foley, described his side’s opposition in Pool 1 of the new European Rugby Champions Cup as “three handy teams”.

A master of the understatement, the man who led Munster to the first of their two European triumphs in Cardiff in 2006 went on to describe Saracens, ASM Clermont Auvergne and Sale Sharks as “fearsome opposition”.

“We have picked up three of the best teams in Europe in our pool and looking at the rest of the tournament I think this is an even stronger draw than in previous years,” said Foley.

“We have six massive games ahead of us and we will be looking to them all. I’m sure there are a few teams who won’t be too happy about having Munster in their pool.

“We have met them all before in Europe and I’m sure our fans will travel in big numbers to Manchester, London and Clermont. And if Saracens fancy taking our game to Wembley, then that will be fine with us.

“It’s not a decision for us, but all the players love to play in big stadia and in big games. And all the games in our pool will be big games.

“Having grown up at the club it is going to be a huge honour for me to coach the team next season. I certainly won’t be underestimating the size of the task, but we have a good group of players which has been around for a while.

“We want to be playing in the big finals in May and to do that we are going to have to stop teams scoring easy points against us. We need to rectify that, especially when it comes to playing in the Champions Cup.”

They'll take it to Wembley, would love to there.

There is absolutely no permutation of matches that will be absolutely fool-proof against someone finding something to give out and about and claim their team was harshly treated.

so why not try other ways then

I think it'd be a great spectacle and occassion

better than Toulon being at home for the next 10 years

would it? how many times have Munster won there?

yes we'd have extra support but not as much when there are 4 teams than just 2 involved

there would still be some element of chance of course but then again the same aplies to the final which is pre-determined and could be an advantage to one team...no one complains

Maybe it's just the fact that we've been so unlucky, 2 from 11 semis at home, and 1 of them v Leinster!.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement