Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread III

1189190191192193195»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Burcsd94 wrote: »
    This years Munster Academy.

Prop
    Niall Horan, 21, 6' 115kg, Year 2
    Rory Burke, 20, 6' 109kg, Year 2
    Brian Scott, 21, 6'5 125kg, Year 1

Hooker
    Max Abbott, 19, 5'9 106kg, Year 1

Lock
    Sean McCarthy, 21, 6'6 112kg, Year 2
    John Madigan, 20, 6'6 119kg, Year 2
    Darragh Moloney, 19, 6'5 103kg, Year 1

Backrow
    Ryan Murphy, 21, 6'2 100kg, Year 3
    Jack O'Donoghue, 20, 6'2 97kg, Year 3

Scrumhalf
    Jack Cullen, 19, 5'7 68kg, Year 2
    Ryan Foley, 19, 5'8 78kg, Year 1
    Jame Glynn, 21, 5'11 87kg, Year 1

Outhalf
    Gearoid Lyons, 19, 5'11 82kg, Year 2

Centre
    Rory Scannell, 20, 5'11 94kg, Year 2
    Dan Goggin, 19, 6'2 95kg, Year 1

Back Three
    Darren Sweetnam, 21, 6'1 88kg, Year 3
    David Johnston, 20, 5'11 91kg, Year 2
    Alex Wootton, 20, 6'1 100kg, Year 2
    Greg O'Shea, 19, 5'11 77kg, Year 2
    Stephen Fitzgerald, 18, 6'2 87kg, Year 1

As of now, most excited about Madigan, JOD & Goggin.

• Site Banned Posts: 55 ✭✭Burcsd94

Sweetnam is promising.. Goggin has a great chance at centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Were you on the Monarch flight that was delayed on the return home from the H/cup semi final?

You might be interested in this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

You'd wonder if Munster tried to get Bath over a pre-season match. If they didn't I'm disappointed. The return of Stringer would sell tickets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You'd wonder if Munster tried to get Bath over a pre-season match. If they didn't I'm disappointed. The return of Stringer would sell tickets.

Pre-season matches are already fixed. Gloucester away and London Irish in Waterford. http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/18622.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I doubt they did. We must have an arrangement with London Irish considering we've played them 6 of the last 7 seasons in August.
    Having a game in Waterford will help sell tickets better than return of Stringer
    Pre-season matches are already fixed. Gloucester away and London Irish in Waterford. http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/18622.php
    Thomond knows that. He's just saying a Bath side with Stringer playing might help ticket sales..

Well here's a surprise move. James Downey has joined Glasgow!

Munster Rugby ‏@Munsterrugby 24m

All the best to @jamesdowney23 who joins @GlasgowWarriors for the next two years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Interesting move and I think it's definitely a good one for him. Best of luck to him.

That's a great move for Downey, hopefully they can use him better than we did. Glasgow have some good centres but he'll a handy option when the likes of Lamont and Dunbar are with Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Well here's a surprise move. James Downey has joined Glasgow!

Munster Rugby ‏@Munsterrugby 24m

All the best to @jamesdowney23 who joins @GlasgowWarriors for the next two years

It was rumoured a while back but yeah, he's done very well. A two year contract at the age of 33 is good going.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/munster-rugby-in-motorway-call-as-season-ticket-sales-dwindle-271510.html

Mixed feelings about this. Yes the lack of a motorway from A to B is annoying (although you can hop on the M8 from Mitchelstown) but I can't help thinking that statements like this just attempt to divert attention from other reasons why ticket sales are dwindling.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/munster-rugby-in-motorway-call-as-season-ticket-sales-dwindle-271510.html

Mixed feelings about this. Yes the lack of a motorway from A to B is annoying (although you can hop on the M8 from Mitchelstown) but I can't help thinking that statements like this just attempt to divert attention from other reasons why ticket sales are dwindling.

+1 on that. A motorway might knock 20 minutes off the drive, is it worth spending hundreds of millions of euro for a couple of thousand people to save 20 minutes every second weekend? It is not.

The issue is:
    1) Munster's performances have fallen off from what they were up to 2009 so ticket demand is reduced.
    2) They increased the capacity of Thomond to far more than is needed for your average Rabo or HC game.
    3) 1 + 2 combined means tickets are much easier to come by for most matches, so there is no burning need to have a season ticket to ensure you get into the big matches.

They should be looking at ways to improve results or give better value for the season tickets, rather than pie-in-the-sky requests for enormous public infrastructure projects.

The other interesting bit is that TG4 and BBC NI are named as terrestrial rights holders, even though no official announcement has yet been made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I agree that all cities should be linked by motorway but I doubt it will be done to help boost Munster attendance.
    I've heard a few Cork lads complain about travelling time to Limerick, so there is some truth in Garrett's claim. The K.O. for some games would mean that anyone travelling from the 'outposts' of the Province will leave home very early or arrive home very late. But some fans do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Motorways cost approx 2 million a km. not sure one can be built for Munster rugbys sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Motorways cost approx 2 million a km. not sure one can be built for Munster rugbys sake!

If they get some operators from Rathkeale, they could construct it for a lot less.

Linking the 2nd largest city to the 3rd largest city in the country should have been a priority when we were awash with money, especially when they linked Limerick to Gort with a motorway.

The real sting in the tail is that funding has been agreed for the completion of the Limerick/Galway motorway yet the N20 remains in the sorrowful state that it is.

Using the M8 to get from Cork to Limerick city brings you through some of the worst roads in the county. I think some of it has the restricted speed limit of 80km per hour.

That's all well and good (Limerick to Cork via M8 is not ideal to say the least!). The question I'd ask is what are Munster attempting to do right now as a workaround? There's a time for lobbying but what are they doing in the meantime? That's what they should be communicating.

That's all well and good (Limerick to Cork via M8 is not ideal to say the least!). The question I'd ask is what are Munster attempting to do right now as a workaround? There's a time for lobbying but what are they doing in the meantime? That's what they should be communicating.

They have released a strategic plan for 2014-17. There are plans for better marketing and communication in it.

• Advertisement

They have released a strategic plan for 2014-17. There are plans for better marketing and communication in it.

Good, time to see them then!

Skipped all the marketing drivel but there are certainly ambitious targets on the rugby side of things. Realistic though?

Skipped all the marketing drivel but there are certainly ambitious targets on the rugby side of things. Realistic though?

They may not be achievable, but you have to have targets to aim for.

They may not be achievable, but you have to have targets to aim for.

Yeah you do, but the whole point of a strategic plan is to set your goals then report back on how you met those goals.

So if by 2017 Munster haven't won a Heineken Cup, will Foley be deemed to have failed to meet his objectives, or will they just say "yerrah, sure we didn't really expect you to win it anyway"? And if so, what was the point of it all?

I think the IRFU 4-year plan calls for one win in the 6N (done) and a semi-final in the 2015 RWC, which is very achievable. Sure, we'll be aiming to win the whole thing but it's not a realistic objective.

Probably makes no odds really, I doubt the players are reading it and thinking, "Jaysus, I'd better get the finger out cos we have to meet our medium-term goals", just seems pointless.

Interview with Coughlan on the Munster website about moving to Pau... I miss him already- class act :(

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/18692.php#.U7Fr6fldVOF

As he begins pre-season training with French side Pau today, we catch up with Munster favourite James Coughlan on his move to Pau, and how hard it was to leave the team he loves.

Following the announcement of his departure in May, it's been a rollercoaster few weeks for James and his family, as they relocate both family and professional life to the South of France. Now with the move complete, the former Munster back-row knows the coming weeks will be crucial to making a good transition.

"While the rest of the team started last week, Simon (Mannix) was good enough to give me an extra week as Munster's season finished a week later than Pau's. The extra week was great, giving me the chance to go on holiday with the wife and kids. We've managed to find a house already which will be ready at the end of July so between now and then I will head over by myself, giving me a chance to get to know the team before the family arrive. I think that will be important as otherwise you can become very insular and not get to know your team mates properly.

"I can't wait and thankfully neither can the kids. There's still the natural stress that comes with moving house, with all of us pulling each other's hair out, but it's all positive. The club have been excellent, evening organising French lessons for all the family."

Deciding to leave the province was undoubtedly an agonising decision for the Dolphin RFC man. How does he feel now that the move is complete?

"Aoibhinn's graduation from pre-school was only last week, followed by Finn's last day at school, both of which naturally brought some tears to our eyes. However those events represented the closing of one chapter, and now with that done, we're very excited to be opening new chapter in our lives this week. Also, my daughter Elsie's christening was on last Saturday which was a brilliant metaphor, representing new beginnings."

James will be joined in Pau by two former members of the Munster backroom staff. Former Backs Coach, Simon Mannix takes up the role of Director of Rugby at Pau while former Munster Assistant Performance Analyst, Elliot Corcoran becomes Head Performance Analyst for the French outfit. While existing friends will make the move easier, the Corkman feels it's important to put his own unique stamp on life in France.

"Undoubtedly it's great to have some people you know already, but that said it's important not to buddy up too much. It's very easy to fall into the trap of those who know each other sticking together, and you yourself not getting to know anyone new, the language or the culture. Garrett (Fitzgerald) gave me the same great advice that he gave Doug Howlett when he came to Munster - this has to be a life move, not just a rugby move - and that's how we are looking at it. I'm going to try from minute one to leave English behind me and get to grips with French as quickly as I can.

"What will make it easier for me is that I will have 30 mates as soon as I land, 30 people I can go for a cup of tea with. Katri and the kids won't have that luxury, however once school starts and they get to know more people, it won't be long before we have our own little family community."

James went on to tell us the reasoning behind his decision, a decision which in the end came about very quickly.

"All I ever wanted to do was play for Munster. For sure there was times when you had to weigh up your options professionally, but deep down I always wanted to stay and play in a victorious Heineken Cup final. It's disappointing that we didn't go on and win one on my watch.

"The offer came from France and with it being a World Cup year, and me not getting on different Ireland squads, it became clear that I wasn't being considered for England 2015. I had a chat with Axel, Garrett and Simon all of whom were very supportive and coupled with the fact I want to do coaching in the future, it represented a great opportunity for me, especially with the opportunity of 30 professional teams in France. Having played here for as long as I have, you want to bring that experience with you in hopefully getting promoted from D2, leading to a good career path down the line."

Coming late to professional rugby, impressive performances for his AIL club side Dolphin RFC earned the then 26 year old a development contract with Munster at the start of the 2006/07 season.

"The first couple of years I spent trying to develop myself physically, because once you can match a guy physically then you have the platform for your skills to shine through. I was fortunate to have a fantastic coach in Laurie (Fisher) who was able to sit me down and give me numerous foolscap pages of notes on a regular basis which I would then take home and work on, allowing me to do that bit extra on my own, helping me kick on to the next level. That's not to say that other coaches didn't help me massively as well, but it was under his watch that my transition from the player I was to the player I am now took place.

"You also have to look at the likes of Dave O'Mahony coming into Dolphin after I broke both my legs. Tomas O'Leary had just signed for the club and Dave gave me the heads up that certain members of the Munster coaching staff would be coming to look at Tomas, so if ever there was a time to step up and put in a good performance, that was it. I managed to do that with myself and Tomas having a great relationship both on and off the field, and as they say, the rest is history."

Check back tomorrow to MunsterRugby.ie for Part 2 of our interview, where James reflects on his fondest times in a Munster jersey, the outcry from fans over his departure, and the Irish cap that eluded him in recent seasons.

the outcry from fans over his departure

While I know he'll be missed, was there really much of an outcry? There wasn't on boards.ie anyway.

• Advertisement

While I know he'll be missed, was there really much of an outcry? There wasn't on boards.ie anyway.

I outcried.

Don't know about everyone else, but I'm still gutted.

Not sure about outcry. Who could the outcry be directed towards?

I'm disappointed he won't be around but it was a understandable decision from all parties.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think once the story broke that Pau were interested in him there was fan discontent but when it was announced I think everyone knew it was a very good deal for him and had accepted he'd be moving.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Interview with Coughlan on the Munster website about moving to Pau... I miss him already- class act :(

We often see players move on or retire but when you read of his kids moving off to foreign shores with him you realise the real decisions players with young families have to make.

Best of Luck to James and his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Fireball07 wrote: »

That's a lovely interview - very sound guy and will be a loss to Munster. Fair play to him - he has a great attitude, so I really hope he and his family enjoy their time in France and that the rugby goes well too.

• Advertisement

Fisher confirms his move to Gloucester
    Laurie Fisher (@LordLaurie58) tweeted at 0:03 PM on Wed, Jul 02, 2014:
    Saddened to be leaving an outstanding group of people at the Brumbies but honoured and excited to be joining the Gloucester Rugby family

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

phog wrote: »

vastly under rated and under estimated by the majprity of fans during his time at Munster. An excellent coach who was/is highly regarded by the players he has worked with. Hope it works out for him as a head coach as sometimes the step up can be a bit much. Hopefully having a DoR will assist that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Gloucester must be rolling in cash at the moment. Off the top of my head they've signed the below this summer:

Humphreys
    Fisher
    Afoa
    Hibbard
    Galarza
    Laidlaw
    Hook

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Buer wrote: »
    Gloucester must be rolling in cash at the moment. Off the top of my head they've signed the below this summer:

Humphreys
    Fisher
    Afoa
    Hibbard
    Galarza
    Laidlaw
    Hook

They are a well off club, big rugby town with no football traditions, fill out the shed and kingsholm evey week, rich backers as well. Teams like Leicester and Northampton are in a similar situation, lots of money to play with. Not as much as the French teams who have bigger backing and more TV money.

Gloucester not happy with finishing outside the top six last year and will do whatever it takes to get back. They would be a good bet for the new Challenge (Amlim) cup next year, French teams will not take it seriously and I would say that an English team will win that competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

phog wrote: »

Best of luck to him, comes across as a sound bloke and carries himself well.

vastly under rated and under estimated by the majprity of fans during his time at Munster. An excellent coach who was/is highly regarded by the players he has worked with. Hope it works out for him as a head coach as sometimes the step up can be a bit much. Hopefully having a DoR will assist that.

He has been head coach before and is currently DoR at the Brumbies.

Hard to say if he was under-rated or not, certainly he was not popular with the fans at all so the only question is whether or not it was deserved. The team's performance at times in that period was simply not good enough, how much of that was down to Fisher is the question, he certainly got plenty of the blame on boards.ie anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement