Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

West gets my vote smaller but that has its up sides same heads in there for all the matchs easy to get to the bar and handy for a fast exit with the smaller numbers in there also very dry

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

shezer wrote: »
    Alright lads. Just buying a season ticket there.Which terrace in Thomond is the home terrace or more of a home terrace? Thanks

There isn't a home terrace really. The East is bigger than the West, but as said above it's drier in the West. I disagree that there's a more established crowd in the East though. There was always a terrace in front of the old stand and when the ground reopened all the supporters club members were moved to the West terrace and stand.
    If you like a few beers before the game the the West is probably better as you have Bohs and Shannon who are cheaper than the bars in the ground and actually sell a full range of beers.
    There isn't actually much difference in getting in or out between either except your a minute closer to town in the East.

At the end of the day it doesn't make much of a difference and there's a decent group in both terraces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

East stand. It is where the players come out and go in. Good buzz there mostly, if you are close, central to pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'd go with who_me, East terrace gets my vote, especially since the redevelopment, the pods in the West terrace are annoying and at times some of the pods closest to the sideline can be closed off, so you're about another 5m back from the play.

A few points for the west, closer to the MRSC bar, Shannon and UL Bohs bars and closer to LIT car park.

From being with the home fans point of few I'd guess it's evenly matched across both sides so should not be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

I got the East. Thanks for the replies. Does the same apply to Musgrave(am i in the East there too)?

• Advertisement

I got the East. Thanks for the replies. Does the same apply to Musgrave(am i in the East ther too)?

East is the best of the lot in Musgrave Park but I'm not sure what tickets are available now or what you purchased.

I got the East. Thanks for the replies. Does the same apply to Musgrave(am i in the East there too)?

Did you buy a Thomond Park season ticket or a combined season ticket? If it was a combined then you probably purchased East terrace for both grounds.

If not then there isn't really much of a West terrace in Musgrave. It's only 2 small sections either end of the stand. The East terrace is the place to go.

Did you buy a Thomond Park season ticket or a combined season ticket? If it was a combined then you probably purchased East terrace for both grounds.

If not then there isn't really much of a West terrace in Musgrave. It's only 2 small sections either end of the stand. The East terrace is the place to go.

I purchased a combined with H Cup for East terrace.

I purchased a combined with H Cup for East terrace.

It's a pity you didn't join the MRSC if that was your intention, my guess is that you'd have made a saving if purchasing all ticket options, iirc, my tickets and membership averaged out at €22 per game.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the games and we've a bit more success than last season.

phog wrote: »
    It's a pity you didn't join the MRSC if that was your intention, my guess is that you'd have made a saving if purchasing all ticket options, iirc, my tickets and membership averaged out at €22 per game.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the games and we've a bit more success than last season.

I had joined but i left it elapse in April so I couldn't access the MRSC site.I had to purchase a Associate membership and start again.

Are there special trains put on by Irish Rail from Cork for the Munster games?

Can't wait for it.Thanks.

• Advertisement

Not that I know of, only specials I'm aware of is for H/cup and bigger Rabo games in Thomond.

I had joined but i left it elapse in April so I couldn't access the MRSC site.I had to purchase a Associate membership and start again.

I think they only put them on for HEC games. One of the Cork posters will know better. There's always a park and ride from the Southcourt hotel just off the M20 on matchdays if your driving.

Last time I was in Musgrave Park I noticed they've put a cycling lane on the road ( Kinsale Rd. ?) that I'd normally park on, I used the P&R facility but that's a disaster for a quick getaway.

Is there parking allowed on the cycle lanes outside certain times?

Where's the best spot for parking now for a quick getaway in the city direction.

Last time I was in Musgrave Park I noticed they've put a cycling lane on the road ( Kinsale Rd. ?) that I'd normally park on, I used the P&R facility but that's a disaster for a quick getaway.

Where's the best spot for parking now for a quick getaway in the city direction.

I park on it for Cork City games without any bothers. I wouldn't park that close to the junction outside Woodies though.

Plenty of places to park around Ballyphehane and then head towards the City via the Lough. You can go over the bridge by St finbarrs car park and up the Quay passing the Mercy hospital.

I park on it for Cork City games without any bothers. I wouldn't park that close to the junction outside Woodies though.

Plenty of places to park around Ballyphehane and then head towards the City via the Lough. You can go over the bridge by St finbarrs car park and up the Quay passing the Mercy hospital.

Thanks, I'll give it a go for the friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The BT guys are obsesssed with Lawrie Fisher at this 7s thing. Supposedly he looks like a fisherman who could handle himself in the bush and enjoys a drink.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Depends on the lane. Going by memory I think if it has a dashed line than maybe, but a solid line then no.

O'Connell regrets not playing abroad and would like to do a ROG in it by moving abroad to coach.

http://www.espn.co.uk/ireland/rugby/story/195117.html

While great players don't always make great coaches I'd love to see Paulie involved in coaching.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The BT guys are obsesssed with Lawrie Fisher at this 7s thing. Supposedly he looks like a fisherman who could handle himself in the bush and enjoys a drink.

He kinda looks like that alright :D
    O'Connell regrets not playing abroad and would like to do a ROG in it by moving abroad to coach.

http://www.espn.co.uk/ireland/rugby/story/195117.html

While great players don't always make great coaches I'd love to see Paulie involved in coaching.

The Indo have a bit of a longer piece with POC today

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/id-have-no-problem-doing-what-rog-did-and-coaching-abroad-29507754.html

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He kinda looks like that alright :D

The Indo have a bit of a longer piece with POC today

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/id-have-no-problem-doing-what-rog-did-and-coaching-abroad-29507754.html

Thanks, missed that and had wondered where ESPN picked it up from.

• Advertisement

POM on RedFM, http://t.co/c36Er77NgC starts about 14mins in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Ordered 2 sets of tickets for the 2 preseason games 2 weeks ago off ticketmaster, guessing they'll come tomorrow or Thursday for the game Saturday?? ( F**king better ) always bought my tickets from the ticketmaster stall in cork city so first time doing it online!!

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Ordered 2 sets of tickets for the 2 preseason games 2 weeks ago off ticketmaster, guessing they'll come tomorrow or Thursday for the game Saturday?? ( F**king better ) always bought my tickets from the ticketmaster stall in cork city so first time doing it online!!

I'd guess if they don't arrive they can be collected/reprinted at the booth outside Thomnd Park, ring tomorrow to check. My MRSC match tickets arrived yesterday.

On the game itself I saw on twitter that Conway is due to start his first Munster game on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Love how they are parading Conway around like a prize pony. Rubbing it in while they can. :P

784943.jpg

Glenviewjf wrote: »

Are you sure they're sending printed tickets? Any time I've used ticketmaster for Munster tickets it was an e-ticket. I'd say check the confirmation email to be sure.
    If they are printed tickets then as Phog says, ring them and they'll organise reprint that you can collect outside the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

So, do we expect conway to start in a first-choice backline?

With Earls and Zebo there, he mightn't find getting a wing spot easy (although both of them, as well as him can play at 15). At full-back, you can add in Hurley/Jones and there's LOD too on the wing.

Did GVDH sign in the end? I can't remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Fireball07 wrote: »

Yes but we don't get him until November at the end of the Currie Cup..like Stander last year. Here's hoping that unlike Stander, we actually play him properly in the season he arrives in

athtrasna wrote: »
    Yes but we don't get him until November at the end of the Currie Cup..like Stander last year. Here's hoping that unlike Stander, we actually play him properly in the season he arrives in

Oh right.

Well, I assume that means Conway is likely to start in the early season, he has a chance to nail down a spot. So, couple of questions:

1. Who do people think is the best out of Conway/Earls/Zebo at full-back?
    2. Who would they like to see played at full-back?

I'm a big fan of Earls at full-back, even though Zebo may have the attributes most suited to it, he's better under the high ball, and slightly better with the boot.

Conway has played most on the right wing afaik, while both Earls and Zebo are predominantly left wings afaik. So...Earls?

So, do we expect conway to start in a first-choice backline?

With Earls and Zebo there, he mightn't find getting a wing spot easy (although both of them, as well as him can play at 15). At full-back, you can add in Hurley/Jones and there's LOD too on the wing.

He's certainly not guaranteed a starting berth anyway. I'd rate him similarly to LOD. I think he's just getting so much air time because he is a new signing and massively rated/hyped in Leinster .

• Advertisement

He's certainly not guaranteed a starting berth anyway. I'd rate him similarly to LOD. I think he's just getting so much air time because he is a new signing and massively rated/hyped in Leinster .

He's very fast though :P

I think he's got a decent chance of getting a starting spot. Although Jones hit a bit of form towards the end of last season. Big fan of LOD too, another player who is excellent under a high ball and has a great strike rate. Been very unlucky with injuries... much like Conway.

He's very fast though :P

I think he's got a decent chance of getting a starting spot. Although Jones hit a bit of form towards the end of last season. Big fan of LOD too, another player who is excellent under a high ball and has a great strike rate. Been very unlucky with injuries... much like Conway.

Isn't Jones out for September with another injury?

athtrasna wrote: »
    Isn't Jones out for September with another injury?

Probably :(

Just looking at the Munster Rugby online store again...since it's a partnership with Lifestyle it looks pretty rubbish IMO with a poor selection. Here's hoping the release of the jerseys on Friday brings an improvement.

Can't say I'm too fond of "other people bought" at the bottom of the page, showing Leinster jerseys.

Bryce Cavanagh - Munster Head of Fitness - is moving back to Australia at the end of October. He'll be leaving for McGahan's Melbourne Reds and will be leaving mid-contract. I wonder if its further cost cutting by the branch, or if he is being left go because he wants to return home? Looks like Munster will be without a head of fitness and scrum coach for next year. From here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Bryce Cavanagh - Munster Head of Fitness - is moving back to Australia at the end of October. He'll be leaving for McGahan's Melbourne Reds and will be leaving mid-contract. I wonder if its further cost cutting by the branch, or if he is being left go because he wants to return home? Looks like Munster will be without a head of fitness and scrum coach for next year. From here.

Oh dear....have the Melbourne reds taken on mcgahan ?

You'd think the penny would finally drop with his trail of destruction stuff :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'm certain Botha is a more than able scrum coach at this stage though!

Fairly sure when he was at Ulster he had that position (or as close to being in the position as you can be as a full time player).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Love how they are parading Conway around like a prize pony. Rubbing it in while they can. :P

In fairness, he is the only new Munster player this season so far and he will be making his debut this weekend. And from newspapers today he seemed to want to clear up the fact that he was out of contract with Leinster at the time.

Limerick leader have an interview with him:

“I wasn’t contracted to Leinster, believe it or not. That is what everyone seems to think at the time.
    “It was my own decision. I thought about it long and hard obviously.
    “I am delighted with the decision I made. It was a tough decision at the time.
    “Leinster did offer me a new contract. There were a number of things for my decision to come to Munster.
    “I wanted to experience something new. I kinda felt at the time that I had maybe come to a standstill in Leinster, I was getting game time. But if everyone was fit and firing, I wouldn’t be making those Heineken Cup match-day squads or the really big Rabo fixtures.
    “I chatted to Rob (Penney), to Simon (Mannix) and Niall (O’Donovan) and my agent and a few of my mates. I took all things into account and decided to come down here, and try something new, get out of my comfort zone.

Another reason I came to Munster was from watching the likes of Zeebs (Simon Zebo), Dougie (Howlett), they were getting on the ball from all parts of the pitch, not just on the wing.
    “They would be coming into the line, running off 10-12-9 , a bit looser with the way they had gone about it.
    “They were allowed, if they saw a gap somewhere, to get involved. Rob has a really expansive game plan and hopefully I can get involved in that.”

Conway said he found pre-season training at Munster to be similar to what he experienced during his time at Leinster.
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/new-signing-andrew-conway-on-why-he-chose-munster-over-leinster-1-5407811

The highlighted bit is interesting!

Munster seem to have one or two fairly experienced s&f coaches so there maybe an internal promotion on the way - opening the door for Fla to come back as an assistant hopefully!

jm08 wrote: »
    Munster seem to have one or two fairly experienced s&f coaches so there maybe an internal promotion on the way - opening the door for Fla to come back as an assistant hopefully!

Imho, way to early for Fla to be coming back even as an assistant, Aled Waters might take up the lead role in Munster but I liked what I saw/read on Bryce. I also think it was Bryce wanting to leave rather than Munster looking to cut costs. McGahan has just got the new job so he probably head hunted Bryce.

'Exciting Times' For O'Connell And Munster

From Irishrugby.ie

PaulOConnell_newjersey_Munster1314.jpg
    Munster have received a welcome pre-season boost with the news that Paul O'Connell is now 'injury free' and relishing his return to action with the province.
    It may be a few weeks away from Paul O'Connell's 13th league season with Munster, but the lynchpin lock's appetite for rugby shows no sign of abating.
    Undoubtedly energised by the Lions series win and his recent wedding to long-term girlfriend Emily, he seems as keen as ever to pull on the red jersey and spearhead their challenge for silverware.

Thankfully the broken arm he suffered in the Lions' first Test victory over Australia is now healed. The expectation is that O'Connell, who admittedly has some 'catching up to do' fitness wise, will be back playing by round 3 or 4 of the RaboDirect PRO12.

"From a fitness point of view I'd say I'm unfit. From an injury point of view I'm injury-free. I was back running today (Tuesday), back doing a little bit of weights on the arm today. So all that is going well," said the Limerick man.

"I've had a few weeks off since the Lions tour with my arm and stuff, so I have a little bit of catching up to do on some of the (Munster) guys.

"A lot of them have had a really long pre-season, an eight week pre-season, which is incredible. It's amazing to come in and see the benefits that guys get from training full-time for five days in-a-row, then getting two days off for the bodies to recover. I've a bit of catching up to do on the fitness side of things alright."

Young back rower Peter O'Mahony has been installed as Munster's new captain, a move that O'Connell has warmly welcomed, and there is also much interest and intrigue in who fills the talismanic boots of departed out-half Ronan O'Gara.

Young guns JJ Hanrahan and Johnny Holland will be pushing Ireland international Ian Keatley hard for the number 10 jersey, a selection battle which O'Connell feels Munster can only benefit from.

"It's going to be very different going out there without Rog. I was only talking about it the other day to Peter (O'Mahony) in terms of captaincy. Very often Rog would be making a lot of the decisions for me," he said of O'Gara, who has just started his coaching career with French club Racing Metro 92.

"When we got ahead in games, he was able to make the little tactical shift without ever having to be told or asked. He had this nose for knowing when it was time to do the simple things and putting a team into their own half and it's going to be missed.

"But JJ and Ian, who have been there for the past few years, are fantastic rugby players, incredibly hungry, incredibly committed, really knowledgeable as well. They know how we want to play, what we need to do inside out.

"They've learned really well from Rog over the years and we also have Johnny Holland coming behind and he's going to be a fantastic player as well."

O'Connell added: "While it's a big change to have Rog gone, it's exciting times as well and I really think these guys are ready to step up.

"If we were in this situation a few years ago, I don't know if you could say that but now I think it's exciting, disappointing that Rog is going, but exciting also for what the three other out-halves are going to bring."

The 33-year-old forward only played eight times for Munster last season, with a troublesome back injury keeping him out of action until October. He required surgery on it to get back in time for the Heineken Cup knockout stages and the summer's Lions tour.

Staying fit and injury-free will be an obvious goal for O'Connell this term as well as helping Munster make the necessary improvements for them to challenge for league and European honours.

"We need to be more accurate and hang on to the ball more. We also need to be more effective when we're in positions to score - (last year) we didn't convert as much as we should or as much as good teams need to," he explained.

"We also need to mix up our game more and improve our read of the flow of the game, even though the Heineken Cup semi-final against Clermont was disappointing because I thought we had a great mixture in our attack.

"If you can put the ball wide and also take a team on up front and wear out their forwards, both tactics can work well."

• Advertisement

Imho, way to early for Fla to be coming back even as an assistant, Aled Waters might take up the lead role in Munster but I liked what I saw/read on Bryce. I also think it was Bryce wanting to leave rather than Munster looking to cut costs. McGahan has just got the new job so he probably head hunted Bryce.

If he is good enough for Arsenal (in a sport he knows little about), he should be good enough for Munster in a sport he knows everything about. He could also coach the hookers on throwing!

Walters was the one I was thinking of. He seems to have a fair bit of experience.

jm08 wrote: »
    If he is good enough for Arsenal (in a sport he knows little about), he should be good enough for Munster in a sport he knows everything about. He could also coach the hookers on throwing!

Walters was the one I was thinking of. He seems to have a fair bit of experience.

I think you might be over stating Fla's involvement in S&C in Arsenal or maybe I'm underestimating him :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It might be good for Fla to do his time with Arsenal (isn't it like an internship?) and then do some time in another professional rugby setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Fla is at Arsenal on work placement working with their academy. He's nowhere near ready or qualified for such a job. Let him cut his teeth elsewhere and learn the mechanics of the job in practice before considering him for anything.

Buer wrote: »
    Fla is at Arsenal on work placement working with their academy. He's nowhere near ready or qualified for such a job. Let him cut his teeth elsewhere and learn the mechanics of the job in practice before considering him for anything.

I just think that Fla's hands-on experience as a pro (10+ years) would count a lot (having worked with several different S&C coaches). He is going to know a heck of a lot more than your average S&C coach just coming out of college into their first internship.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He probably does, but equally he could easily know eff all about S&C for anyone who isn't a hooker of the same body type as him. Being told what to do doesn't make you an expert on what everyone else should be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

TheJournal got pictures inside the Munster dressing room. Anyone who likes to read a lot into things can think about what these two number/flag combos might mean for the coming season!
    CJ as sub BR and Casey at 12?

abeafefb1775bcdec36d9c59ed895122ccd06ea48b74ae72e71f2ba1d6c8f39e.jpg

abeafefb1775bcdec36d9c59ed8951222c5181b564348216ddffd64ef379a08d.jpg

Has Flannery done a degree in S&C?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Has Flannery done a degree in S&C?

Yeah, graduated from UL in the summer.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Yeah, graduated from UL in the summer.

Jaysus he's got his fingers in lots of pies, fair play to him!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement