Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Stander smashed in the tackle

The midget thrower is on for Gloucester

Munster lineout 5m

Now 5m scrum

Try Munster after a series of pick and drives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Try!! 26-10

Conversion to come

• Advertisement

Try Munster after a series of pick and drives.

Stander got the try, converted by JJ.

28-10

Gloucester charge down a clearance, I think it was Sheridan. Munster clear it afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

How many times has Stander been on and off? I've lost track from the MunsterRugby twitter account? I'm particularly confused as to how he scored a try 5 minutes after being taken off again?
    Munster Rugby ‏@Munsterrugby 9m
    57' TRY for CJ Stander 26-10 and converted by JJ 28-10 #seatseries

Munster Rugby ‏@Munsterrugby 15m
    52' Johnny Holland replaces Johne Murphy and Barry O'Mahony on for CJ #seatseries

Munster Rugby ‏@Munsterrugby 20m
    47' CJ Stander returns to the field as he replaces James Coughlan #seatseries

Munster Rugby ‏@Munsterrugby 25m
    Ian Nagle for Donncha O'Callaghan, Dave Foley for Billy Holland, Shane Buckley for Stander #seatseries

Bench completely emptied by now I think

Munster defending their line

• Advertisement

Gloucester try

Converted

28-17

5 minutes to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Game over - any further score?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Looks like 4 tries for Munster and 3 for Gloucester.

So aside from the score what was the game like, who stood out for Munster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeh. How'd Conway play? :D

phog wrote: »
    Looks like 4 tries for Munster and 3 for Gloucester.

So aside from the score what was the game like, who stood up for Munster?

The game was pretty dour. Weather put paid to any kind of excitement. Tbf Munster tried their best to play, a couple of sweet offloads in the tackle.

I suppose both JJ and Keatley looked decent (Keatley's crosskick to Conway was weighted nicely) while Laulala was always threatening, but apart from that nobody stood out.

(Edited because initial post was a bit harsh!)

Just home now.

Enjoyable preseason game compared to last year!!

Pity about Conway getting injured so early on.

Keatley and JJ Hanrahan impressed me. Sheridan played well enough I thought also.

LLL played well enough in the first half despite the bad conditions for handling!!

Roll on Friday night and hopefully a dry evening in Cork!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Conway got injured?

Eh, no refunds, okay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Looks to be quite a decent turnout for a preseason in ****e weather. Probably better than anything the soccer pulled in over the summer?

How many was there?

Would be a bit disappointing for the soccer to be over-shadowed by a pre-season friendly tbh :( I went up to Dundalk last night, and there were only 5 Limerick fans at kick-off, I think... (a bus and a car or two did turn up late)... pity they didn't market it better.

.ak wrote: »
    Conway got injured?

Eh, no refunds, okay?

Ya had a heavily strapped hamstring before he crossed for his try. Limped off after.

• Advertisement

The game was pretty dour. Weather put paid to any kind of excitement. Tbf Munster tried their best to play, a couple of sweet offloads in the tackle.

I suppose both JJ and Keatley looked decent (Keatley's crosskick to Conway was weighted nicely) while Laulala was always threatening, but apart from that nobody stood out.

(Edited because initial post was a bit harsh!)

So no standout players :(

Fireball07 wrote: »
    How many was there?

Would be a bit disappointing for the soccer to be over-shadowed by a pre-season friendly tbh :( I went up to Dundalk last night, and there were only 5 Limerick fans at kick-off, I think... (a bus and a car or two did turn up late)... pity they didn't market it better.

My wife said they announced 4k + as the attendance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

How many was there?

Between the hurling, gaa football, soccer and rugby,,,you must qualify as 1 of limerick's most dedicated sports fans.

That is an impressive crowd for a friendly, I suppose there are some rugby-starved people around the city.

Still, Limerick FC will be disappointed they weren't able to drag in a bigger crowd than Munster got for a friendly.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Between the hurling, gaa football, soccer and rugby,,,you must qualify as 1 of limerick's most dedicated sports fans.

Well, I only really have an interest in those 4 sports... and they're all fairly local, have to get my sporting fix somehow :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Who needs TV courage :p

Thanks for the updates.

That is an impressive crowd for a friendly, I suppose there are some rugby-starved people around the city.

Still, Limerick FC will be disappointed they weren't able to drag in a bigger crowd than Munster got for a friendly.

I wouldn't like to piss on Limerick Soccer attendance or any attendances for that matter, there go I but of the grace of god and all that but I just did a quick check from last season, 7 H/cup and 42 League games had crowds of had less than 4,600 in attendance.

I wouldn't like to piss on Limerick Soccer attendance or any attendances for that matter, there go I but of the grace of god and all that but I just did a quick check from last season, 7 H/cup and 42 League games had crowds of had less than 4,600 in attendance.

Yeah, the Italian and Scottish teams do have disappointing attendances for European games... I just think that Limerick has a lot of people who are interested in all manner of sport, Limerick don't get terrible attendances by any means in comparison to the league, it's just that after a few big attendances early on, it's dropped to just above what it was last season in Jackman Park for big games.

Anyway, that's all off-topic... good win against our Heineken Cup opponents :P

I really wouldn't be concerned. We got hockeyed by London Irish last year and then beat Edinburgh away the following week.

Pretty decent turnout considering the weather.

Full panel got a run this evening, will it be the same lads next week or will a few more be eased back into the fold?

Other than Conway any more injury concerns from the game.

Also, who on the in jury list at the moment - Jones, is Earls on it too, anyone else?

Coughlan went off, but he didn't look as uncomfortable as Conway.

In terms of injured:

POC (would be rested till October anyway)
    Earls
    Jones
    O'Dea

That's who I know of anyway.

• Advertisement

Report from MR
    Munster got their SEAT Series off to a winning start at a damp Thomond Park today with a 28-17 victory over Gloucester.

With 34 different players getting a run out it was an impressive performance from the home team facing a strong Gloucester side, which included English internationals, Mike Tindall and James Simpson-Daniel.
    The game got off to a patchy start, with the weather conditions leading to a number of handling errors from both sides.
    Munster had the best of the opening exchanges with Johne Murphy crossing for a try on 7 minutes only to see it disallowed for a forward pass.

Once the game settled into a rhythm, Casey Laulala began to pull the strings in the centre of the field creating a number of breaks, the best of which fell to Andrew Conway who scored a try on his debut.

This was in response to Gloucester's opening try taken by Jimmy Cowan after 17 minutes.

Munster's second try of the half came off a well worked move from the lineout with Williams popping to Dineen breaking through the centre finding Laulala on his shoulder who created a wide pass out to Denis Hurley leaving him dive over the line.

Keatley added his second conversion to give a half-time score of 14-5.

Gloucester reduced the margin with a Steph Reynold trys early in the second half before replacement outhalf JJ Hanrahan finished off an attacking phase with a try under the posts making it easy for his own conversion.

CJ Stander added Munster's fourth and final try and he was one of a number of bodies diving over the line with the pack applying the pressure.

With a wrath of changes and a completely different side to the starting XV Munster's younger stars and club players impressed for the closing stages.

The visitors finished with a converted Koree Britton try to give a final score of 28-17 to Munster.

Reynolds' try was the highlight, I've never heard of him but he was elusive in possession.

Coughlan went off, but he didn't look as uncomfortable as Conway.

In terms of injured:

POC (would be rested till October anyway)
    Earls
    Jones
    O'Dea

That's who I know of anyway.

I thought POC was listed as being off the injuured list earlier in the week? Forgot about Luke, I hope he gets a good run this season, always been impressive when he gets a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Great to see Mikey Kelliher get his debut off the bench too. You'd imagine we'd have seen him feature a decent bit more had he left Richmond for a senior club a few years ago.

Former Young Munster coach and backs coach to Munster's B&I cup squad Mike Prendergast has joined twitter. He is currently involved in coaching with Bernard Jackman over in the Top14 club Grenoble.

https://twitter.com/mikeprendergas3

Reynolds' try was the highlight, I've never heard of him but he was elusive in possession.

He's Welsh I think and I also think Cian Tracey or Murray Kinsella mentioned him in their preview of the game earlier in the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I thought POC was listed as being off the injuured list earlier in the week? Forgot about Luke, I hope he gets a good run this season, always been impressive when he gets a chance.

Yeah, he is off the list and needs to work on fitness over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Reading page after page for the info on the match and I was scratching my head thinking who the feck is LLL?

I think I made this face when LauLaLa popped into my head
    I-See-What-You-Did-There..png

Reading page after page for the info on the match and I was scratching my head thinking who the feck is LLL?

I think I made this face when LauLaLa popped into my head
    I-See-What-You-Did-There..png

I wouldn't have done the updates if I had to type Laulala multiple times!

From IrishRugby.ie

CJStander_MunstervGloucesterpreseason13.jpg

Munster opened their pre-season programme with a deserved 28-17 win over Gloucester in the sides' SEAT Series match at Thomond Park this evening.
    PRE-SEASON FRIENDLY: Saturday, August 24
    MUNSTER 28 GLOUCESTER 17, Thomond Park

Scorers: Munster: Tries: Andrew Conway, Denis Hurley, CJ Stander, JJ Hanrahan; Cons: Ian Keatley 2, JJ Hanrahan 2
    Gloucester: Tries: Jimmy Cowan, Steph Reynolds, Koree Britton; Con: Billy Burns

Munster ran in four converted tries in wet conditions with winger Andrew Conway scoring the first of them before an injury (dead leg) brought his debut to a premature end.

The 4,200 spectators present saw head coach Rob Penney give game-time to 33 players as an enlarged bench was used to its fullest, with the new season fast approaching.

These teams will meet in the Heineken Cup pool stages this year, but most of the frontline players were absent here as Penney and his Gloucester counterpart Nigel Davies tested the strength of their wider squads.

Steady rain fell before kick-off and the floodlights had to be turned on before the game got underway at 5pm. The play was patchy early on, with the unseasonal weather leading to a number of handling errors from both sides.

Munster pressed for the first opening and they had a seventh minute try ruled out. Their forwards drove up close to the Gloucester line before Ian Keatley's neat inside pass to Johne Murphy was adjudged to be forward.

The men in red remained on the front foot and created another chance shortly fowards, influential centre Casey Laulala unlocking the defence only for ex-Leinster man Conway to be crowded out in the right corner.

Gloucester then took the lead against the run of play as Jimmy Cowan's grubber through was fumbled by the covering Denis Hurley, allowing the scrum half to follow up and score an unconverted try.

However, Munster edged ahead by the midpoint of the first half thanks to Conway's debut score. Laulala cause more damage in the middle and Keatley, spotting a mismatch on the right, sent a cross-field kick over for the winger to gather and the conversion was quickly added.

The hosts, who kicked low and intelligently as the rain continued to fall, added a second seven-pointer for a 14-5 interval lead.

The Munster backs clicked into gear off a lineout as Murphy's presence in midfield caught Gloucester out and Duncan Williams sent Ivan Dineen through a gap. His centre partner Laulala continued the move and despite being caught in the 22, the former All Black managed to get his pass away for Hurley to touch down.

Gloucester responded with a strong start to the second period. Out-half Jonny Bentley's trickery gave the supporting Steph Reynolds some space out wide and the full-back got over in the corner for 14-10.

Munster were back in control shortly afterwards, showing the benefit of quick lineout ball as captain James Coughlan charged into the visitors' 22 and some good recycling led to replacement JJ Hanrahan nipping in under the posts for a try he converted himself.

Gloucester went close to scoring their third try as the pace quickened again, the experienced Mike Tindall securing turnover ball and Reynolds almost reached a grubber kick from Ryan Mills before it went dead.

But Munster duly widened the margin to 18 points with a well-taken try from South African flanker CJ Stander who had plenty of support as the pack rumbled over from close range. Hanrahan tagged on the extras.

The substitutions continued into the final quarter and Gloucester ensured a competitive finish with a 74th minute try from replacement Koree Britton.

But with a number of young starlets and club talents on show, Munster managed to see out an encouraging result despite the greasy ball and regular changes in personnel.

MUNSTER: Denis Hurley; Andrew Conway, Casey Laulala, Ivan Dineen, Johne Murphy; Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams; James Cronin, Mike Sherry, John Ryan, Donncha O'Callaghan, Billy Holland, CJ Stander, Niall Ronan, James Coughlan (capt).

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Duncan Casey, Alan Cotter, Stephen Archer, Paddy Ryan, Ian Nagle, Dave Foley, Danny Kenny, Willie Ryan, Shane Buckley, Barry O'Mahony, Cathal Sheridan, JJ Hanrahan, Johnny Holland, Cian Bohane, Mike Kelleher, Niall Kenneally, Ronan O'Mahony.

GLOUCESTER: Steph Reynolds; Charlie Sharples, Tim Molenaar, Ryan Mills, James Simpson-Daniel; Jonny Bentley, Jimmy Cowan; Dan Murphy, Dan George, Yann Thomas, Elliott Stooke, Will James, Matt Cox, Andy Hazell (capt), Gareth Evans.

Replacements: James Gibbons, Koree Britton, Rupert Harden, Lua Lokotui, Tom Savage, Sione Kalamafoni, Dan Robson, Billy Burns, Mike Tindall, Drew Cheshire.

Referee: Alain Rolland (IRFU)

Referee: Alain Rolland (IRFU)

How was Rolland with the new scrum laws? Actually, how was Munster with the new scrum laws?

• Advertisement

Tbh I can only remember Munster's scrum struggling a bit in the second half, but all the subs were on then.

The difference is very noticeable, the packs are much closer together before the engage.

The difference is very noticeable, the packs are much closer together before the engage.

I've seen them on the TV but wondered how Rolland and Munster were reacting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

I'm loving the classic look of the kit from the pictures.

Another blog on the game for those interested in a read.

I didn't like the kit when I saw it online and having seen it on Saturday I still don't like it. Nice shade of red but the navy on the shoulders/neck is not so nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

On the kit I don't like it. Agree with Thomond on the navy not being great.

Looks like As have Ulster up first on September 18th ahead of B&I cup. Game's away but no venue yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

ormond lad wrote: »
    Looks like As have Ulster up first on September 18th ahead of B&I cup. Game's away but no venue yet.

Road trip for Duncan :D

Wouldn't be mad about the jersey... better than the almost orange one of a few years ago, but the navy is a but off-putting. Maybe it looks better in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

Anyone who was at the match have an opinion on how Williams got on?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement