Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread III

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Anyone who was at the match have an opinion on how Williams got on?

Journalist Cian Tracey tweeted
    Cian Tracey ‏@CianTracey1 24 Aug
    Williams did alright but nothing much to impress. Sheridan far more energetic and confident at the base.Provided a solid platform
    and
    Cian Tracey ‏@CianTracey1 24 Aug
    At scrum half, Sheridan for me was far more assured than Williams and should be second choice to Murray for the season ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

I like the jersey, especially the blue shoulder lapels, maybe they could have continued the blue down the sleeve but I guess they didn't want a replicate from a few season back, think it might have been a Canterbury Jersey.

All the one to me anyway, can't see myself buying one.

Anyone who was at the match have an opinion on how Williams got on?

From a poster on MFs
    Williams played noticeably better than anything last season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

the age of the quad next season is a bit mental

what i think the fully fit 1st choice squad will/should be, ages correct as of today

1. Kilkoyne 24
    2. Sherry 25
    3. BJ Botha 33
    4. Ryan 29
    5. POC 33
    6. POM 23
    7. TOD 26
    8. Stander (Coughlan) 23 (32)

9. Murray 24
    10. Keatley 26
    11. Zebo 23
    12. Laulala 31
    13. Earls 25
    14. VDH 24
    15. Conway 22

16. Varley 29
    17. Archer 25
    18. cronin 22
    19. DOC 33
    20. Couglhan (Stander) 32 (23)
    21. Sheridan 24
    22. JJ 21
    23. O'Dea 23

starting team average age: 24.4

bench average age: 26.125

match day squad average age: 25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Based on what I think the team will be, I've calculated an average age of 26.9 for the squad and for the XV. Pretty similar to what Ulster (or at least what I expect Ulster to look like) with 27 for the squad and 28 for the XV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Williams was ok, Sheridan was better.

A few photos from the game.

inpho_00728972.jpg

inpho_00729027.jpg

More here

Downey out injured for a few weeks, Conway took part in full training today.

Interesting to see who's tried at 12 next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

phog wrote: »
    Downey out injured for a few weeks, Conway took part in full training today.

Interesting to see who's tried at 12 next weekend.

LLL or maybe Hurley I'd guess

• Advertisement

LLL or maybe Hurley I'd guess

More like Dineen or JJ I'd guess

More like Dineen or JJ I'd guess

I'd say JJ is being kept as back up to Keats this season. Dineen is a maybe though

I'd say JJ is being kept as back up to Keats this season. Dineen is a maybe though

JJ might be backup to Keatley but nothing wrong with playing the odd game at 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Hurley could be a very effective 12, I'd really like to see him there, offloads galore.

Laulala might play there if Earls was fit...I'd prefer JJ to him, just to get him in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Given the pace we could have in our back 3 it would be great to have 2/3 good distributors in 10/12/13; but I'd be a bit wary of Keatley and JJ together defensively.

Not 100% sure why.. probably based on the "big guy must be better defender" mentality; which obviously isn't always correct.

Squad Update from MR
    The squad returned to training today in Cork following the weekend's action against Gloucester without the services of Head Coach Rob Penney and Captain Peter O'Mahony as they make their way to Belfast for the RaboDirect PRO12 Season Launch.There was the addition of a familiar face with former Forward’s Coach and current Brumbies Forward’s Coach Laurie Fisher attending the session.
    Laurie is in Cork for the week and is completing a three week tour on which he visited Harlequins, London Irish and now Munster. He will also observe the second SEAT Series fixture against London Irish this Friday in Musgrave Park.

Andrew Conway who was replaced after 25 minutes with a dead leg on Saturday has raised no further concern and is back in full training.

Joining Felix (shoulder), Luke (wrist) and Keith (shoulder) on the rehab list is James Downey who has been ruled out for the next few weeks with a quad tear picked up at training.

While Munster’s Lions Conor Murray, Paul O’Connell and Simon Zebo continue with their own pre-season training programme.

Munster play London Irish on Friday August 30th at 7pm in Musgrave Park in the final game of the SEAT Series, and tickets are available to buy online here or by calling Ticketmaster on 0818 719300. Adult terrace tickets are available from €12. Tickets are also on sale from the ticket offices in Musgrave Park and Thomond Park.

• Advertisement

Great news on Conway, we would be very short in the back three without him.

Hurley at 12 sounds good but with the back three absentees he might be needed there for the time being. However our next matches are London Irish (H), Edinburgh (H) and Zebre (A) and I'm sure a young/academy player can be put into the back three and do just fine in order to put Hurley in the centre.

Great news on Conway, we would be very short in the back three without him.

Hurley at 12 sounds good but with the back three absentees he might be needed there for the time being. However our next matches are London Irish (H), Edinburgh (H) and Zebre (A) and I'm sure a young/academy player can be put into the back three and do just fine in order to put Hurley in the centre.

There was a rumour during the silly season that Hurley was going to be tried st 12, if it is to be considered then now is the time to try it but I'm not sold on the idea. I like Hurley and would be delighted to see the move be the second coming of him more so if it was a benefit to Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Why is Laurie Fisher being paraded around NH clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Why is Laurie Fisher being paraded around NH clubs?

He is not being paraded around - lots of coaches visit other clubs to upskill and learn from each other. Like a mini training course. I know Foley has spent time in Australia and New Zealand doing something similar. Foley also spent a couple of weeks with Toulouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Fischer is good to follow on twitter btw

• Advertisement

Some highlights from the game. Murphy was badly caught out for their first try, hate to see a player shepherding a ball over the try line - row z is the place for it. :( He gifted Gloucester a try, a bit like Rob Howley scoring for Wasps in the H/cup final a few years back.

Some nice offloading from Laulala and Dineen too.

jm08 wrote: »
    He is not being paraded around - lots of coaches visit other clubs to upskill and learn from each other. Like a mini training course. I know Foley has spent time in Australia and New Zealand doing something similar. Foley also spent a couple of weeks with Toulouse.

Really?

I never knew that about Foley.

Really?

I never knew that about Foley.

Just after he retired and before he started coaching he went to the SH visiting clubs - think it was only for a month or so. He spent 10 days with Toulouse.

Canterbury/Crusaders have a coaching academy (International High Performance Unit) - you can see what the programme entails from here. Penney used to coach on it when there. Munster should think of doing something like that in conjunction with UL.

http://www.ihpu.canterburyrugby.co.nz/experiences/coaches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

Team for the LI game:

Munster: Denis Hurley; Ronan O’Mahony, Casey Laulala, Ivan Dineen, Johne Murphy; Ian Keatley, Cathal Sheridan, John Ryan, Damien Varley Capt., Stephen Archer; Dave Foley, Ian Nagle; Dave O’Callaghan, Sean Dougall, Paddy Butler.

Replacements from: Mike Sherry, James Cronin, BJ Botha, Donncha O’Callaghan, Billy Holland, CJ Stander, Niall Ronan, James Coughlan, Duncan Williams, JJ Hanrahan, Rory Scannell, Johnny Holland, Cian Bohane

Thought the backline might get a bit of a shake-up. pretty young pack, will be interesting to see how they get on.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/12199.php#.Uh4dKf5OPIU

Of the top of my head that's Dave O'C, Dougall and Butler added to last week's squad.

Heading down for this, hope we have better weather on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

CJ Stander not starting. Rabble rabble rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hurk

If anyone is going to the match, could they let me know if Paddy Butler is the size of Nick Williams yet? Cheers.

Was Rory Scannell on the bench last week?

Pity Niall isn't.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Was Rory Scannell on the bench last week?

Pity Niall isn't.

Niall is the hooker, isn't he, he got a run last week. I wasn't at the game so don't know his he got on. Just going on match report from MR.

Niall is the hooker, isn't he, he got a run last week. I wasn't at the game so don't know his he got on. Just going on match report from MR.

Yeah, captained the Ireland U-20s after Gilsenan got injured, and he really impressed me at the JWC, seemed like a great leader, darts were good and was one of our most impressive players. And I've heard really promising things from people who saw him play underage for Munster.

Obviously forwards often break into the team later than backs, but a good few of them have already played at pro12 level and Henderson has played for Ireland. Love to see Scannell step up this season.

• Advertisement

LI team to face Munster
    Ian Humphreys will partner Tomás O’Leary tomorrow night as the Exiles play their final pre-season fixture against Munster at Musgrave Park (kick-off 7pm).

Leo Halavatau, David Paice and Halani Aulika make up the front row. George Skivington will captain the side and partner Bryn Evans in the second row. Ofisa Treviranus will make his first start in the back row alongside Kieran Low and Jon Fisher.

Former Munsterman, Tomás O’Leary, will partner Ian Humphreys with Eamonn Sheridan and Guy Armitage named in the centre. England International, Marland Yarde will make his first appearance of the season playing alongside Andrew Fenby and Topsy Ojo in the back three.
    Brian Smith, Exiles Director of Rugby said: “There were aspects of our last performance that I was happy with and others that we need to work on. We are looking this week at a marked improvement especially at lineout and our kicking game. Munster represents a good opportunity to improve on these aspects in the lead up to Saracens.”

London Irish team to face Munster:
    15. Topsy Ojo; 14. Marland Yarde; 13. Guy Armitage; 12. Eamonn Sheridan; 11. Andrew Fenby; 10. Ian Humphreys; 9. Tomás O’Leary; 1. Leo Halavatau; 2. David Paice; 3. Halani Aulika; 4. George Skivington (Captain); 5. Bryn Evans; 6. Kieran Low; 7. Ofisa Treviranus; 8. Jon Fisher

Replacements: Jimmy Stevens; Jonny Harris; Jamie Hagan; Jebb Sinclair; Nic Rouse; Declan Danaher; Gerard Ellis; Chris Hala’ufia; Patrick Phibbs; Shane Geraghty; Sailosi Tagicakibau; Ian Cross; Alex Lewington; Myles Dorrian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Sheridan at 12 will be interesting... Anyone going to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Was Marland Yarde the really fast winger that was on the England u20 team that stopped the Irish u20s from getting a Grand Slam 2 or 3 years ago?He might have been at fullback and I think he scored a try.

Good to see TOL back from that back injury, it didn't sound good for him when the injury was announced months back.

.ak wrote: »
    Sheridan at 12 will be interesting... Anyone going to this?

I am but I can't guarantee an impartial report ;-)

Sheridan at 12 for them for the 2nd week in a row. Great to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Munster Players Rugby Gear Sale

W80_F_Image_6_31637.jpg

There will be a sale of rugby gear donated by Munster, Irish & Lions players on Friday September 6th in Clohessy's Pub, Limerick from 12 noon to 8pm.

There will be great bargains on jerseys, t-shirts, tracksuits, jackets, gear bags, socks and lots more!

The sale is in aid of the Donal Walsh #Live Life Foundation.

For any queries on the sale please email Olive Foley - foleyoa@gmail.com

I wonder will Donncha have his famous red jocks on sale or maybe John Hayes will have pyjamas up for sale

W80_F_Image_6_31637.jpg

I wonder will Donncha have his famous red jocks on sale or maybe John Hayes will have pyjamas up for sale

Phog, not sure if its for this - but there is a twitter 'Munster Memorabilia' account which is collecting all sorts of interesting jerseys for what looks like a charity auction or something. They are posting a pic of the jersey they get on the twitter account.

Donations so far are: a Keith Wood 1997 Lions jersey, Gordon D'Arcy, Luke Fitz, Jamie Heaslip Grand Slam jersey signed, an AB jersey from Ma'a Nonu, Jerry Flannery 2008 HCup Final jersey, 1973 Tom Kiernan Munster Jersey, Wallabies Signed Jersey .... loads of stuff ...

Worth a look to see what they have at @Munster_Jerseys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Game night!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

Updates from those attending would be much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

budhabob wrote: »
    Updates from those attending would be much appreciated.

0-3

Munster 3 LI 6

I'm hearing Williams is having a howler - wasted epic Laulala ball capturing with a dreadful pass that cost us a potential try.

Bohane sounds as if he's playing really well. Currently 8-13 after 65 minutes

• Advertisement

O'Callaghan in the bin for not rolling away, Munster attacking well, Laulala & Bohane strong in attack

JJ try! Converted, 15-13 with 8 mins to go

athtrasna wrote: »
    I'm hearing Williams is having a howler - wasted epic Laulala ball capturing with a dreadful pass that cost us a potential try.

For your own sake, let this go. Focus your energy on hating Dirty Delon instead.

For your own sake, let this go. Focus your energy on hating Dirty Delon instead.

Didn't hear anything for the first half..then got 5 texts within minutes of each other..with that news. It's true, no news is good news!

Ronan O'Mahony try!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement